Have you ever been around someone that does not stay consistent in who they are? This is one of the very things that is a pet peeve for me and I strive to be WHO I am no matter WHERE I am. In all honesty, that very thing at times has cost me a relationship or two, even with someone that is close to my heart.
Jacob told his father and brothers to say one thing while in fact they were something else. When I read Genesis 46:33-34 ESV this morning, it hit me hard to stay true to who I am. These two verses read: "When Pharaoh calls you and says, 'What is your occupation?'you shall say, 'Your servants have been keepers of livestock from our youth even until now, both we and our fathers,' in order that you may dwell in the land of Goshen, for every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians."
Then Genesis 47:3 ESV: "Pharaoh said to his brothers, 'What is your occupation?' And they said to Pharaoh, 'Your servants are shepherds, as our fathers were.'"
Jacob was trying to protect his family, I realize that, but when they responded to Pharaoh with TRUTH, he did not desert them.
Father, thank You that You know the truth of who and what we do and are, and with that You never ever desert us. Father, cause our hearts to love others right where they are at in this season of life. That our hearts & footsteps would be found faithful and true, and that we would not be speaking out of both sides of our mouths. Father, I love You and desire to be true to who You created me to be, no matter where I'm at, no matter who I'm with, as You are always with me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
With much love here at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
After having the prompting of the Holy Spirit to cause these three verses to leap off of the page and into my mind and heart, I went to a Matthew Henry Commentary. I would never ever want to lead anyone astray.
If you don't have access to this aide, then here is what I found:
1. He would have them to live by themselves, separate as much as might be from the Egyptians, in the land of Goshen, which lay nearest to Canaan, and which perhaps was more thinly peopled by the Egyptians, and well furnished with pastures for cattle. He desired they might live separately, that they might be in the less danger both of being infected by the vices of the Egyptians and of being insulted by the malice of the Egyptians. Shepherds, it seems, were an abomination to the Egyptians, that is, they looked upon them with contempt, and scorned to converse with them; and he would not send for his brethren to Egypt to be tramped upon. And yet, 2. He would have them to continue shepherds, and not to be ashamed to own that as their occupation before Pharaoh. He could have employed them under himself in the corn-trade, or perhaps, by his interest in the king, might have procured places for them at court or in the army, and some of them, at least, were deserving enough; but such preferments would have exposed them to the envy of the Egyptians, and would have tempted them to forget Canaan and the promise made unto their fathers; therefore he contrives to continue them in their old employment. Note, (1.) An honest calling is no disparagement, nor ought we to account it so either in ourselves or in our relations, but rather reckon it a shame to be idle, or to have nothing to do. (2.) It is generally best for people to abide in the callings that they have been bred to, and used to, 1. Cor. 7:24. Whatever employment or condition God, in his providence, has allotted for us, let us accommodate ourselves to it, and satisfy ourselves with it, and not mind high things. It is better to be the credit of a mean post than the shame of a high one.
Yolanda,
As many times as I have read this story I have never caught the twist like you presented it here. What a great insight and lesson to come from it. The best lessons are those that come from the Word and pierce the heart. You did that here.
I so agree with you. If your going to talk the talk than walk the walk. I am who I am whether I be in church or at wal-mart. The world needs true christians not half-hearted christians.
This ties right in with something I was reading the other day about how unbelievers want us to be truthful about the struggles in our lives; we can only tell them the truth of Christ if we tell the truth about ourselves.
Your package is on the way! Hope it arrives without a detour and that you are blessed! :)
powerful stuff here Yo! Yes, I strive to be authentic. I never want to be anything except who I am in Christ.
Beth Moore once said, Fruit that only surfaces in public isn't real, it's just plastic."...
Never want to be a plastic Christian...
Amen....may we be Authentic no matter where we are or who we are with....
this includes being within our own homes!
I am always in awe that God loves me even though He KNOWS me as no one else does....all my faults and failures....and still He gave Himself for me! What a Saviour!
Marilyn...in Mississippi
Live up to the calling that has been assigned to you, and for what God created and designed you.
Like you I am a firm believer in living up to our calling!
Yes, stay true indeed.
Blessings.
Lidj
Plan on running your comments next Monday, April 12, on Family Fountain. Thanks. The first in the series posted today.
I like to think of it as being congruous or, as someone commented: walking the talk. And not just any talk, but talk consisting of His word.
Such a good reminder, friend. Thank you!
Kathleen
What a great insight and lesson to come from it. The best lessons are those that come from the Word and pierce the heart. You did that here.
indian classified site
Yolanda, what I love about you is your conistency and I always know who and what you stand for. I try hard to do that myself and hopefully I have.
Thanks for noticing my change in my blog. Just did it this am!
Hey Yolanda. After being off the computer to get deep into my 90 day bible reading, it's such a joy to read your devotional posts. You are such a gifted teacher of the Word. I love this post and it's honesty. As one not surrounded by believers in my family (outside of my husband and children), this is SO true. I'm learning to grow in Christ and to find and trust my reality in Him. And my prayer is to always remain true to Him through my walk. Thanks again for such amazing posts Friend. Hugs, Kim
Hi Yolanda! Even though were "friends", I just found your blog! You encourage me so much :) I loved the prayer at then end. Have a blessed day :)
Amen to your prayer dear one. Amen.
So looking forward to seeing you again - next week! Yeah!
Love you!
When God prompts us with his truth, we are wise to respond in exact accordance with that truth; otherwise, we risk missing the fullness of the promise/blessing that he has intended for us.
Thanks for your prayers this week; we've needed them. Need them still.
peace~elaine
Hi Yolanda. This is my first visit. I'm leaving refreshed and encouraged. I know I have seen you a a few of my other favorite blogs and thought I would check yours out!
Blessings, Ella
You can't imagine how this post speaks to me tonight. I know what you mean about relationships that say they're one thing and live it quite another.
I'm kinda sad tonight Yolanda.
Coz I've been thinking about all this and then reading your post really makes me aware how real this problem really is. You and I have talked about some of these issues before.. but it doesnt change the fact that people are involved and as christians we can't conform to the world either.
Loved your insights.
After reading this, I'm gonna pray harder over these situations.
Blessings,
Love Lea
The best lessons are those that come from the Word and pierce the heart. You did that here.
data entry work from home
Post a Comment