I've been asking God what is it that He is trying to tell me using the analogy of the sewing machine. I can't seem to get the visual out of my mind, so here I sit, to share with you from the flowing of my finger tips. You see, this week has found me doing something that I haven't done in years!! Setting up my sewing machine and placing a hem in an article of clothing. I probably wouldn't do this for just any one, but I have had such a desire since I came to Christ to be a woman that honors and loves her husband. Earlier in the week my Man asked if I thought my sewing machine would be tough enough to handle putting a hem in his jean shorts as they were to long in length. Notice he didn't ask if I thought I could do it, but would the machine be able to! He is such a man of words!!! :-)
Psalm 139:4-6 NIV
4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
If you haven't ever read Psalm 139, or if perhaps it has been awhile, I truly think it would speak to you today. It reminds me of how much my LORD GOD has fashioned me, equipped me and continues to love me. And these very promises and truths are yours as well!
Romans 5:3-5 MSG
3-5There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!
WOW!!! We all walk through troubles and desire patience in the midst of our trials. But to "develop passionate patience" just leapt off the page and right into my heart. What beautiful words were penned from Eugene Peterson's heart and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Father, Thank You that I can be alert in expectancy in the very next moment of breath I take in and exhale. My desire is to shout praise even when I am hemmed in with troubles because I know that You will provide a way to walk through, walk away from, or to walk around any and all situations. That You are the One that develops with-in me passionate patience. And truly, I am thankful that You have laid Your hand upon me. That as I hemmed a pair of shorts it reminded me Father, that I desire for Your truths to be stitched with-in the cloth of my life. The materials that You have bound together and knitted me in the fashion and form that You desired are exactly right, because You did this, You created me. Lord, continue to hem me in, in the mighty name and Master Sewer, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Stitching right along at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda
15 comments:
Oh Yolanda,
Sister this is a rich sharing! Thank you for it and I stand with you in prayer.
"Lord continue to hem us all in for Your glory in Jesus Name. Thank You Lord. Amen and Amen".
I love your heart sister!
I count on His watchful eye and guiding hand to keep me where He wants me. Thank you for stitching that perspective onto our hearts with such a vivid parable.
Blessings,
Kathleen
we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!
O such powerful words Yolanda!!! My heart is just bursting with praise for our Lord.
thank you for these thoughts. they're so beautiful.
blessings,
vickie
i just love it when God uses the everyday to speak to our hearts.
love you sweet friend,
Beth
This was a precious post. I LOVE Psalm 139. It is so key to knowing who we are before God - who He wants us to be and that He stitched us together in our mother's womb for heaven's sake!
I love when God uses visuals to teach us because He knows that more and more of us are visual learners.
Great lessons to ponder - thanks for sharing your seeking heart!
Love you much, Stephanie
What a great thought! Being hemmed in by our Lord! Kinda along the same lines of His having a hedge around us.
Hope you have a great weekend at Deeper Still.
Love ya,
Marilyn
Yo! How are you, sweet friend? These words speak to me today. Thinking of you!
Just dropped in to tell you I love you and miss you. Praying for you at Deeper Still. Can't wait to hear all about it!
Blessings ~ Lisa
Great analogy! Too funny... I just pulled out my sewing machine yesterday... and wondered why it took me so long to get it out... because it was so worth it! Three new pillow covers.
Thank you for it and I stand with you in prayer
Adsense Alternative
What a wonderful post, Yolanda! A great reminder that I needed today.
This is such a good analogy as we are so often hemmed in by the troubles and worries that assault us on a daily basis. Thank you! I hope his shorts came out well. I have my own machine languishing in my backroom closet. :(
What a great post....it really spoke to me.....
I love sewing and quilting, so I enjoy the metaphor and Scripture you've used here - very enlightening! Great post!
Oh my friend, I have so learned to praise especially in the troubled times and it works. Even when I don't feel like it....I go to my scripture cards and it is amazing how my spirit melts into that peace that surpases all understanding!! I'm soaking in it. Hemed in His love.
Believing Him~Pamela
Post a Comment