Confirmation through Life Group and all around me
Wednesday evening after arriving on Maui 24 hours prior, Bill and I were enjoying a lovely light dinner and bible study with about a dozen couples thanks to our friends, Dave and Lee Z. It was a beautiful evening and the fellowship was so heartfelt and genuine it just was what I imagine the body of Christ should be…..love, grace and kindness oozing!
Pastor Ricky Ryan had us turn to 1 Samuel 16-17 as we were beginning to study the life of David. How cool that tonight was their first night to dig into the new study, it lasts for the next 8 weeks and we will be here for 6 of them, hopefully the two of us will be able to attend more of the gatherings. There was lots of inter action and dialogue; it was so amazing and fun!
Pastor Ricky opened up with we need to let go of the past and look towards the future. This got me to thinking about how we tend to hang in what has been instead of grasping forward, not how come but more of waiting and seeking with awe and wonder. I needed this reminder as I continue to walk this side of heaven as I can be a positive person but I still cling to what has been….wishing for a different outcome and there just simply isn’t one. Like Pastor said, that has been done, wash your hands of it and move forward. I think of shutting the door behind me and opening the window in front of me, wow, that just hit me really as I was writing this…what an awesome visual!
As 2012 came to a close God really seemed to be speaking to my heart using the term, “kindness”. And over and over again ever since the word kind or kindness shows up on a very regular basis for me. As the study progressed I kept thinking about Colossians 3:2 “Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.” And to be kind, loving and giving grace one must have their minds on eternity WITH Jesus Christ not on the here and now or what happened yesterday.
Pastor Ricky really struck a cord with me when he shared that he had heard Chuck Swindoll say that he was sorry that he hadn't been more aware of his own heart issue towards others. This stems from 1 Samuel 16:7b and it really confirmed to me what God has been speaking to my heart in the current: "kindness". I want to be that type of person for God and for the kingdom. When we aren't kind we are discouraging and dream killers/robbers. Isn’t it always really a heart issue? 1 Samuel 16:7b “The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” And why is it that we often judge someone by their outward appearance or their past mistakes? I want to be like Pastor Swindoll and work more on my heart through the Word, through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, through the life of Jesus Christ. Once again for me, that for 2013 my walk is all about kindness!
“Be kind to everyone, tenderhearted, forgiving one another as God in Christ forgave you.” Eph 4:32
Seeking and striving to be kind with a healthy sprinkle of love and grace,
Yolanda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing this Yolanda! I can see where I need to be more ''purposely" kind to others!
God bless you my sweet friend!
Marilyn
The kindness and love to man of our Saviour God has appeared...
Post a Comment