This may be a more harsh or stern Higher Grounds and I wasn't so positive this was what God was laying on my heart, but honestly, I keep getting confirmation, so here God and I go.
What has control of you? What does your thoughts constantly stay focused on?
Here are some suggestions for where you may find yourself standing FIRM at the moment:
Disliking another
Unforgiveness
Alcohol
Drugs
People Pleasing
Anger
Pride
Manipulation
Deceitfulness
Self-love (what about me?)
Having to ALWAYS be right
Controlling others or the situation
How about:
Time
Lazy
Un-godly TV/radio programs
Magazines
Books
Movies
Computers (Internet, E-Mail, Games)
Homes
Vehicles
Relationships (with other humans)
Drive for a cause (Animal Rights, AA, being an EMT, purely examples and I'm not saying they are right or wrong)
You get my drift? There are all things that can control us if we do NOT have our focus on God and not spending time in prayer and in His Word.
When anything or a situation or circumstance takes control of us, and that is all that we can think about. When it has a HOLD on us!
The first listing was along the lines of our emotions/feelings, our actions. Isn't that really what Jezebel in 1 Kings 20 was all about? Jezebel placed herself to be in control and to attain what her husband wanted. She manipulated the situation, taking things on herself instead of allowing God to do so. She took the role and played GOD! This caused her own destruction, and the destruction of her family. Ahab was her husband and Elijah the prophet even reprimanded him. "I have found you," he answered, "because you have sold yourself to do evil in the eyes of the Lord........"
Are any of the items from the first list things that cause us to be Christ-like? NO! In 2 Kings 9 we find the prophet Jehu also making a very profound statement. "How can there be peace," Jehu replied, "as long as all the idolatry and witchcraft of your mother Jezebel abound?" Verse 22b Truly, if we are walking in the first list, can we really have true peace? How about the second listing, where we place all of this or your own list, above GOD, will you and I have peace? Are not both listings, IDOLATRY? Forming our own Golden Calf or even Baal? Serving self, and not Jesus Christ?
I have good news for you and for myself.....we, that are IN CHRIST, can let go of these things. IT IS A PROCESS, not something in general, that will be broken off of us over night. It will take time!!!! It is so important to recognize when we are walking in the wrong direction and pray for deliverance. To pray for one another to pick up the things of Christ and let the evil things be left in the dark. To let peace and joy enter in, giving us rest, and that CALM would over take us. Remember C.A.L.M.? Christ Always Leading Me.
I close with a challenge from 1 John 4:17
"In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him."
Sisters, GIRLFRIENDS, we are to be like Him! Do you and I behave like Him? Let's do this thing!
6 comments:
Very good thoughts Yolanda. I am constantly having to evaluate my life and be sure nothing gets a foothold on me. Even things that would seem very good can become a tool of Satan and turn into a stronghold before we know it! Thanks for this reminder today and thanks for your loving words of encouragement on my post.
Have a great weekend!
Much to think about. I often struggle with settling for the 'good' when God wants the 'best'. Thinking of the lyrics to an old hymn - "I surrender all". May that be my prayer as I seek to follow Him.
Thanks for your words of encouragement on my blog - always a blessing,
Joy
If I didn't have these responsibilities with my husband and our kids, I would love to run away to a monastary and just live soaking in God!!! Can you even imagine? So I try to live out this type of a life as much as I can. It is so easy to let so much busyness get in the way....good thoughts Yolanda!!
In His Graces~Pamela
This is great Yolanda. A real jab in my heart for me as there are things in my life that shouldn't be, but the flesh part of me does not want to let go & it's driving a wedge in between me & my Savior. Thanks for your honesty.
love you much,
Lelia
It is so easy to let even those everyday things take over. I just dealt with a very difficult stronghold not too long ago (well, still dealing!). What started out as something honouring to God became an unhealthy obsession. We need to constantly be monitoring if what we are doing is on our agenda, or God's. Good post!
(and thanks for stopping by with more reading suggestions!)
Ouch!
That list hurt a bit as I read it.
Thank you for honoring God by sharing what He put on your heart.....I needed to hear it.
God Bless,
Amy:)
Post a Comment