Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Respecting our husbands

God has been placing on my heart to really spend some time in some particular books of the bible, the first one being Esther. I had a Pastor's wife once tell me, that I was going to be an Esther for my generation. New Years Eve evening, both Bill and I were found in front of the television tuned into TBN as they were airing non-stop through the night "One Night With The King". We were also told from Living Proof Ministries and Lifeway that Beth Moore was in the early stages of writing her next bible study for God, and it would be over Esther. HOW EXCITING! This study will be out in November, and our Women's group will then be found digging through the pages of Esther.

If you know me very well then you know that I'm not good at waiting! I want to dig for myself to know from God, instead of waiting for someone to feed me. I tend to get lost & overwhelmed when I don't have some of the back ground information gathered. Crazy, I know, but that is how I am. Like I mentioned earlier, I needed to finish a commitment between God and I before I could move on into Esther. Today....that commitment was fulfilled and I am headed into the 17th book of the Old Testament. ESTHER!

Esther is also known as Hadassah, in the Hebrew it is: Hadaccah pronounced "had-as-saw"; meaning "myrtle" as per Strong's Concordance on-line.

Ecter pronounced as "es-tare'" is the Hebrew form of Esther, meaning "star" and has a Persian derivation. There was one other definition in Strong's: the queen of Persia, heroine of the book of Esther - daughter of Abihail, cousin and adopted daughter of Mordecai, of the tribe of Benjamin, made queen by king Ahasuerus (Xerxes) to replace divorced queen, Vashti.

I've tried to find out why and when Esther's name changed from Hadassah to Esther, and with my limited resources, I have not found out why. If and when I find this out, I'll post it. Perhaps some of you reading, already know and would be willing to share with the rest of us?

But getting to the heart of my thoughts today is when King Xerxes was drunk on wine after throwing a big banquet for 6 months, 180 days, he then held a "special banquet" for 7 days for those just in the compound of Susa. On the 7th day he orders, commands, demands that Queen Vashti be brought forth wearing the Royal crown because she is beautiful. Now mind you, she was busy these 7 days also, throwing her own banquet for the women, and now she is being called away from this private gathering to appease the king. She refused the command and the king burned with anger. Because Vashti refused the king, she was de-throned.

Many times through out the Old Testament books and teachings, we see women taking "life" into their own hands. Not showing respect to their mates and a couple of examples that come to my mind are Eve enticing Adam with the apple. Sarai taking the leaving of a dynasty into her own hands as she decides to give her maidservant, Hagar to Abram to produce offspring. These women not only didn't respect their mates, but taking it a step father they were found not listening nor obeying God.

We are never told that Queen Vashti was directed to disobey King Xerxes due to God. I'm still pondering why she refused, perhaps the motive behind being summoned. King Xerxes wanted to show off her beauty before the men. Yet, the one thing I know from this is that I want to VOW TO BE DIFFERENT! I want to honor my Man, and my God. Respect means high or special regards, admiration and compliment; I truly and honestly want to be different than the world.

**I believe respecting our husbands is in the fashion that pleases God. That our mates are aligning with God, and they aren't asking something of us that goes against God and His word. I am NOT advocating staying in an abusive home with submission & respect. God will show you, seek Him.**

Father God,

May I not only be found complimenting my Covenant Partner but may I also be found giving HIGH REGARDS to the Most High God. You are awesome, and I love when You reveal old things to me in a new way. Father, I have thrown out some ideas here today, and if they aren't in line with Your Word, I ask that they would not be remembered by those that are reading as they are simply that, ideas, hypothetical, simply a theory. I praise God for TRUTH and for the things that are black and white in Your Guide Book for my life. Father, may we be found, searching.....for TRUTH. I love ya Lord, like crazy! Amen.

6 comments:

Dawn Bernstrom Fullerton said...

Hi, Yolanda,

I was touched by your comment on Terri's blog in reference to our busy lives - I love looking at life from the positive, but I find myself not doing so way too often. Our lives really are full of God opportunities, aren't they? Thanks for the thought.

AND - Esther is my favorite woman of the Bible - When I feel that the Lord is asking me to do something way too uncomfortable, my mind hears, "But perhaps it is for this very reason that you have been placed in this position."

Dawn Fullerton - dawns-heart.blogspot.com

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Yolanda! Great post!

We just finished studying about Esther in our Sunday School rotation for our kids. I taught the older elementary children last month. Boy, did some of them have questions about Vashiti and King Xerxes! I had to water down answers to make sure that they were appropriate! Long story short--these children knew that Vashiti had hard decisions to make and carry out. This was a good life lesson for them as well.

Esther is a favorite of mine as well! If I find out the answer to your question about her name, I'll let you know!
Love ya,
Susan

Pat said...

Yolanda,
This is such a good and much needed word. I love Esther and never study her pages without getting a new thing form God. Thanks for today's!
Pat

Fran said...

Just give ole Beth Moore a quick call and I bet she could answer your question. ;)

I love this post. Thanks for sharing with me. I'm off to spend some time with Him now.

Hugs,
Fran

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

And I love you...and miss you!! I'm doing the Bible Study online and today I was sick..yuck..cause of the medicine. Yesterday the doctor...but I wanted to say..

Hi..love you and miss you!

Your post was beautiful and timely as Mark and I had a small disagreement this morning and then both felt convicted and apologized quickly...*so GOD in us!! Not our old self

Last but not least I found this:"Her Jewish name, Hadassah, was changed to the Babylonian name Esther to protect her identity and heritage (Jewish).

Love and blessings and be sure to pray for us..(the decision about churches..and changing...GOD is working)
Teri

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I love honoring my man. I am so lucky to have him!! Esther was an amazing women and so can we be!!

In His Graces~Pamela