Monday, December 8, 2008

Through the eyes of a child

I have one more "Grandma" story coming from our trip to Florida for Thanksgiving and Sister's, I'm so VERY thankful for Thanksgiving '08 that holds RICH memories for me. Memories are important to me because stuff can be taken away in a nano-second but not a memory.

Friday evening as we were enjoying our meal at Rumrunners, out of the clear blue, Bryan asks the four of us, "What is marriage?" Earlier over the course of the past 48 hours, there was a moment that Heather shared with Bill and I that she doesn't know how to answer some of Bryan's questions. I could tell from her expression looking into my eyes that this was one of those very times. Why? The three of them live under the same roof, but are not married. Perhaps you might recall from an earlier post that Bill and I are Lighthouses in our families.

I spoke these very words to the table but especially to the one asking the question, "Bryan, Grandma and Grandpa are married.". That should be enough for a 4 1/2 year old's thought process and what he said back was not only absolutely priceless but confirmed to me that my response was enough. "Grandpa loves Grandma". My heart was once again being stirred to the fact of God using this precious boy to speak volumes. I'm not sure that Bryan ever heard the two of us telling one another that we loved the other. It was a busy 72 hours for the 5 of us. Yet, we say it many times through out each day to one another, with tenderness and affection. I spoke my love to Bryan many times and he always touched my face and said, "Grandma, I know that." He knows, and that is more than enough for me!

What I recognized as soon as Bryan said "Grandpa loves Grandma" is the fact of what he SEES. He sees Bill being tender towards me, gentleness, kindness, helping along with many other actions, but doesn't all of that equate to LOVE? We hear many times that we may be the only bible the world ever reads. Our actions speak loud and clear. Genesis 2:18 ESV "Then the LORD God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.'"

I'm am so THANKFUL that God saw fit, for me to be Bill's helper. Another scripture that I have come across since our return that is simply perfect, as our God is perfect.

"Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him" 1 John 3:18-19 ESV.


Father, I pray that the days we spent with our family in Florida will draw them to You. That our grandson will grow into a fine young man pouring himself out for his wife. That the woman You are preparing for him, will reciprocate giving 110 percent. That we realize others are watching and through the eyes of a child we learn much. Thank You Father God for children! What an awesome miracle that we can witness day in and day out as You are a MIRACLE God. Thank You Father for the gift of Life. Amen.

10 comments:

Gran Jan said...

Yolanda: And I know the Father hears those prayers from your heart for that precious little boy and his future wife. What a precious post.

Much love,
Georgia Jan

Yolanda said...

Confirmation from a friend today on the telephone. This was her devotion last Tuesday. I found it on-line for anyone that cares to go and read it.

http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/momentstogether/555432/

Moments Together for Couples 12/2

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Melinda said...

Precious! What a time you had...what a special little man. :o)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Pass the tissue on that one! Thank God for your marriage and witness of love to others. God is blessing your lives with a rich heritage to be passed on to future generations.

Keep loving one another.

peace~elaine

Terri Tiffany said...

What a wonderful story and what an example you were for your family! A child sees and hears so many things we aren't aware of!

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

I have got to read all blogs when I get to Northern Virginia...pray that I get there safely.
Lots of rain on I-81 and you probably know that tractor trailers and that interstate are not a good mix with rain.

Praying for you and loving you,
Teri

Molly said...

I absolutely loved your post about Thanksgiving - And yes I agree, children speak volumes. I had never heard that phrase about "we may be the only bible people ever read," but I will never forget it.

Thanks and Blessings in Him,
Molly

Laura said...

This is so beautiful, Yolanda. Out of the mouths of babe, no? They see so much...I am so thankful to the Lord that you and your husband stand as these tall lighthouses for your family. I know you bless. These seeds will grow...

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

What a beautiful boy and I hope and pray the testimony of your marriage and love stays with him all his life!!

Precious!!

In His Graces~Pamela

The Farmer Files said...

Yes, and no doubt how the conversation made an impression on not just one, but all three of them, even days later. What a blessing that the Lord can use this for His good!