Monday, July 20, 2009

You may be in the process of bristling or shedding, which will it be?

I was very happy to have found this small piece of snake skin that had been shed in our yard. This is visual of what God had already been showing me in my mind to educate me with what He was wanting to accomplish in my heart.


The more time I spend in God's word, with God in prayer and with like-minded Believer's the more I become aware of my own convictions. A conviction is between God and me, not what some one tries to put on me. A conviction is what God and I still need to work on to accomplish in me to become more like Him. To become Holy and Blameless which today I see as a beautiful sanctification process. It is beautiful to my heart because when I cross over to the other side from that conviction with Him, I am so incredibly filled with joy. This will continue until the day He comes for me to spend eternity with Him away from this world as we know it.

The visual is that I can bristle up and have a hard heart (calloused) to His word and the promptings the Holy Spirit is giving me or I can SHED what it is that God is asking of me. Totally a choice, nothing is forced upon me. When I choose to allow the shedding process, it becomes a beautiful act of obedience.

I will admit that I am NOT a snake lover but before a snake sheds it's skin it is dull and often times very hard to see them. They almost become camouflaged. When they shed their skin they become vibrant and much more prominent in their coloring. Isn't that how we are? When we don't loose the negative stuff that isn't pleasing to God aren't we dull and isn't He hidden? But when we submit and surrender to our convictions the more vibrant HE is through us.

Matthew 13:14-16 NIV "In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Other-wise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear."

Lord, keep me teachable! Proverbs 14:6 AMP "A scoffer seeks Wisdom in vain [for his very attitude blinds and deafens him to it], but knowledge is easy to him who [being teachable] understands."

Lovingly from the one that is walking through a shedding,

Yolanda @ Higher Grounds

21 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I want to be vibrant for the kingdom, not dull and hidden. Conviction is a personal matter ... working out our own salvation with fear and trembling before God. Such truth here, Yolanda. I really love this illustration. Thanks for taking the time to pen it.

peace~elaine

Lisa said...

Great Post. Don't you love when God gives you something so practical to bring home something He has been speaking to your heart.

Blessings ~ Lisa
(keep both eyes open for that snake..., yuck)

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome post! Thank you for sharing God's revelation to you with us. I'm in the shedding process myself and it's not always easy, but I know if I keep my focus on what God wants to bring me to for His glory, the discomfort will not contend.

Beth Herring said...

Yolanda - I need to shed some of my skin and be renewed, restore, vibrant for Him.

Thanks for this great Word.

Snakes???? yuck..

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

Great use of the snake skins to define your purpose of this post. I would like to see myself continue to shed the layers of my sin until when I am fully ready, my true colors will shine.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Tulabell said...

This is so true. I have been practicing self control over the sweets I eat this past few days. When I try and do it for myself, I never win. To look at it through a different light and know my desires for these things is something I don't need and is just my flesh makes it easy to be obedient. That it is nothing compared to Jesus' sacrifice. Isn't it awesome that something like your example of shedding skin can be used in so many ways? Evil thoughts, judgements, eating habits, etc. It's that easy if we allow God in to encourage us, isn't it?

Andrea said...

Great post and great reminder to be pliable. I must continue to shed the old me and put on the armor of GOD.

Blessings, andrea

Nancy said...

I like the fact that you said a conviction is between God and yurself. It takes time and many avanues to get there. My convictions are very precious to me.
What a nice job of combining picture to text. Very effective.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Ewwww! I do hate me some snakes! That's one reason I always make my dog walk with me in the driveway so he can warn me if there happens to be a snake in the leaves on the sides of the road. It's happened before and I hate it!

I think I am more prone to bristling than I am shedding....which is more the pity!

Marilyn

Susan said...

This is the best post!! I love it! I so appreciated "A conviction is what God and I still need to work on to accomplish in me to become more like Him." Amen!! You have given me much to ponder and pray about! Going to do some heart searching with Him as I get ready for bed!!

Hugs!
Susan

Runner Mom said...

Oopsi! My blog name is missing! I've been leaving comments all over the place as Susan and not Runner Mom!! mercy!

Sherry said...

Wow! I am so glad that you stopped by my craft blog. It was so good to come here, read, and go away with some truths to think on today. I had to laugh because I am literally peeling right now from too much sun and thought the application was right on time!Stop by my main blog when you can!
~Sherry

Rebecca said...

So graphic! Very well put, Yolanda. When the Holy Spirit adds a visual to His promptings, it makes me "sit up and notice"!

Terri Tiffany said...

Great analogy! I have to admit--hate seeing a snake's skin--but loved how you used it!

valerie said...

Great post Yolanda.
This is a great illustration.

Thanks for the comments on my vacation/anniversary posts. You're such a sweetheart!
We're having a great & relaxing time,
just like you prayed for us to have.
My dad is really enjoying himself and getting lots of relaxation. Another request answered. :)

Love ya,
Valerie

Crown of Beauty said...

Oh yes Lord I want to have a soft and a teachable heart.

Loved this post, Yolanda!

TRUTH SHARER said...

Great Truth here Yolanda!
I loved what you said about God never forcing anything upon us. He always gives a a choice even when He gives us a nudge!

We are [as Elaine said] 'working out our own salvation with fear and trembling before [a holy] God.'

What you said about what you [me] and God are working on together... He might use it later to help someone - but first He wants to teach it to us - til we get it right.

Remaining teachable - such a key phrase! Love this post and visual!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I Thirst For]

Laurie said...

GREAT WORD SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Lord, keep me teachable. I appreciate your encouragements- always. Love, Laurie

Tammy said...

Not liking snakes,this was a great way for me to look at snakeskin, differently.

It also gives a new meaning to "He's a snake in the grass". :)

Thanks for the visit!

In his Grace,
Tammy

Van said...

I've had a hard heart that needed shedding- I need to shed fear, unbelief,fret,envy,resentment... Sometimes we pack for a trip and sometimes we unpack - shedding is unpacking for the journey toward the imitation of Christ.

Edie said...

I love your analogy about being vibrant after the shedding. Isn't it so true. I want to be vibrant. I want to be more teachable.

Much love!!