Monday, July 13, 2009

When is revenge sweet?

Have any of you spent time in the book of Daniel lately? I'm thinking perhaps so because Daniel is full of prophecy about the end times. My cause was simply because that is where I am in my reading through the bible in a year. Please do not feel any condemnation from me or think that I am super spiritual....I'm doing so only out of obedience for what God has convicted me of for 2009.

I became tickled, almost giddy last week with God's word. It was a fresh word for me and it was a NOW word. Daniel 6 is about the Lions' Den. If you aren't aware or simply needing a refresher, stop and read from your own bible Daniel 6.

Because Daniel had proved himself to the king by his actions and ability, he was placed over all the other administrators & princes. The others then began to search for a fault in Daniel and they set him up to fail because they knew of his faithfulness towards the living GOD. As you know, Daniel did not bow to king Darius as the law had been written by these men but he continued to bow to his God three times a day. He chose and was found faithful in worshipping GOD not man. This caused Daniel to be thrown into the Lions' Den and upset king Darius because that was not his intention when he signed this decree. These men had purposely set out to have Daniel destroyed because of their jealousy.

The king said in verse 16b NLT: "May your God, whom you worship continually rescue you." And another pivot verse is 18a: "Then the king returned to his palace and spent the night fasting." This is a Mede, in Babylon following pagan gods, Friends. Yet he knew that God was the rescuer and he chose to fast. A custom found with the Israelites.

We also know that Daniel came out of the Lions' den without one single mark on his body. Why? God protected him because of Daniel's obedience, because of God's sovereignty and perhaps because of king Darius' actions as well. Daniel was not harmed.

But my joy kicked into gear when I read verse 24, oh God's revenge is sweet. My revenge is filthy, causes such a stink, does so much damage, but GOD'S brings HEALING. "Then the king gave orders to arrest the men who had maliciously accused Daniel. He had them thrown into the lions' den, along with their wives and children. The lions leaped on them and tore them apart before they even hit the floor of the den." The king then went on to give praise to God, the God of Daniel, the living God.

Father, I would imagine many of us have people in our lives that purposely set out to bring us harm. To trip us up because they are seeing first hand our obedience to You. Even the evil one is out to destroy us. I'm thankful that when I am thrown into a lions' den that You keep me protected and from harm. Thank You for giving me another reason to walk in obedience to YOU not man and to allow YOUR revenge not mine. Your word brings life and healing to my day. I am no longer in a pit, and I thank You Abba for bringing me to Higher Ground. Amen.

Lovingly.....Yolanda

16 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you for this word from GOD.
Blessings and prayers,
Andrea

Beth Herring said...

Oh yes Lord - help to live only in obedience to YOU and your Word. Not to focus on those who may try and trip me up!!

Great Word my friend (as always!)

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

This is one of my most favorite stories in the Bible! It shows how God rewards true obedience. It also takes me back to a Veggie Tales episode that I love the songs to.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Leah Adams said...

The book of Daniel is INTENSE. Have you done Beth Moore's study entitled Daniel? Our small group did it but I need to do it again. There was so much to learn that I felt like I didn't even get half of it. One day I will do it again.

For now we are headed toward Esther!! Can't wait!!

Leah

TRUTH SHARER said...

Oh yes, I am deep in the pages of Daniel again... as I am teaching the second half of the Beth Moore study for the second time. We are in session 9 tomrrow. Deep stuff. For months now God has had me praying

Daniel's prayer in chapter 9:4-19

so I encouraged my girls to do the same. I told them to pray it as if they were Daniel [and always aloud].

It made a huge difference to all of us when one of the girl's, Leah, shared that she began saying "I" instead of "we" [where Daniel incudes himself in the sin committed]. BUT the "I" just hit us all personally between the eyes!
I encourage anyone reading this to pray that prayer using "I" - and do it now until Jesus comes! We need it personally and so does our nation!

Good Word today!

Love ya...Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I Worship]

Anonymous said...

Isn't it something that our growing closer to Him can sometimes cause others to attack us? Thank God for His provisions and grace and protection. LOVE this post Yolanda. I just enjoy so much learning from you as you grow in your walk with Him. Hugs, Kim

Crown of Beauty said...

I like what you wrote about the revenge of God being sweet compared to ours which is vindictive, full of spite and hate.

Daniel has always been a good model for obedience, and I do need to study his life more.

Thank you for this post, and taking time to whet our appetites with your sharing!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I love the book of Daniel also Yolanda. I use him as an example many time when I am talking to young people. I tell them they should be like Daniel and "purpose in their heart" that they will serve God only. If we don't make that committment ahead of time, sometimes it's too late when the temptation actually comes on us!

I love the enthusiam you have in talking about the Lord! You're such a blessing and an encouragement to me daily!

Thank you!

Marilyn

Tulabell said...

A few ladies and I in my church just finished up Bible study on the book of Daniel and being a new Christian I am so happy that I was able to know everything you were commenting on! You see I have not read the whole Bible, I never could, but our Pastor has challenged us to read it in a year and now that I have been born again am finding it ever so intriguing! I love that I now know what people are referring to when they speak of the Bible.

I came from an LDS background and never knew the word nor did it speak to me quite as it has these past 8 wonderful months! I am learning sooo much! Daniel is such a good example to us to always keep the faith. My hope is that those that want to try and lead us in desctruction would learn the first time God reveals his love to us so that they will seek it for themselves.

Thank you for visiting my site on Tulabell, I also have another blog where I post my ponderings on my newfound faith, I have so many questions and so many emotions about things and could always use another perspective to enlighten my spirit. I hope you don't mind my putting your blog on my list at http://tulabell-walkingwithgod.blogspot.com/

Have a blessed day!

Cindy said...

My tendency is also toward revenge that will hurt so this is a good reminder for me. Thank you for sharing.

You asked if the photo in my header was my home. Sadly, no. It's a pictrue from a calendar! lol! But in a perfect world it would be my dream porch that would match my desire to have people feel invited and welcome.

Leaon Mary said...

I love it!
How are you Yolanda? What a great word from God today!!
Your joy and excitement is deeeLIGHTful!

Holykisses,
Lea

LisaShaw said...

Yolanda I was somehow knocked off your follower! I don't even see your posts anymore and haven't apparently for weeks. I've really been paying attention to my list tonight because I'm having big blogger issues.

You probably think I forgot you. I'm so sorry. I will refollow you.

Love you girl!

Lisa said...

Such a good reminder to "Set my mind on things above, not on earthly things" Colossians 2:2.

When my mind is focused on Him, I'm less likely to want to take things into my own hands, but to instead trust in Him for the results.

Blessings ~ Lisa
p.s. Thank you for the email. I'll be responding soon.

Sarah said...

Always a joy to splash around over here. Thank you dear one for the sweet comment you left on my blog. Goodness, this is my first ever attempt to write for the public, but if God is glorified, then all praise to Him.

Hugs for your day,
Sarah Dawn

Nancy said...

I love the book of Daniel. It's all about obedient, faithful men and a God who is strong to save.

Anonymous said...

Yolanda,
I just want to thank you for your prayers and encouragement!
Miriam :)