Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Goodness of God's word

I've been under the weather with the influenza for the past 10 days. I've laid awake in the night absolutely thinking that I was loosing my mind because I was coughing so hard, continuously. My body literally fighting to get air into my lungs. For those of you that have dealt with H1N1 or any type of influenza, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

But sweetness truly came in the midst of those hard spells! God's word would come to my mind and I would find myself resting in Him and trusting Him. I would go over the scriptures I have learned in 2009 and I found comfort especially in one particular verse. If you have never committed to memorizing scripture, I truly would like to encourage you to make this be one of your main priorities for 2010. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

The scripture that comforted me the most in the past week has been:

Psalm 4:8 NIV "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."

Father, thank You for placing this scripture on my heart several weeks ago, as YOU ALONE only would know how much it would speak to me in the dark hours of the night fighting for a breath of air this past week. THANK YOU! Father, Your word is life, encouragement, hope, and the very air that I breathe. In Christ Alone...Amen.

**I wonder, have any of you found yourselves clinging to a particular scripture this week? If so, care to share the scripture and what translation? **

By the way, I'm still fighting this, and you truly will never waste a prayer on me.

Lovingly at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a teen at youth camp one year, I rededicated my life. Our services had music led by a very talented group of musicians, and as a singer myself, it was by far my favorite part of the day. The night I went forward, I expressed that I had continually made choices that were not in God's will for my life and that I wanted to better learn the Bible so that I might truly know what He wanted for me and my life. Imagine my surprise when later that night, I was called back to the fellowship hall by the lead singer of the group. She'd said that earlier in the week, she had been driving down the road when she KNEW that there was something God wanted her to write down. She pulled over, found her post-it note pad and pen and wrote simply "Psalm 119:33-40". She said, "When you came forward tonight, I knew that these words were meant for you." I still have the original piece of paper and it is in my church camp Bible right now. These are the words:

33 Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees;
then I will keep them to the end.
34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.

35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.

36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.

37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word. [a]

38 Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.

39 Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.

40 How I long for your precepts!
Preserve my life in your righteousness.



They are still my favorite verses, but I have never taken the time to memorize them...what a shame. I WILL be doing that this year!

Love you and hope you feel better soon!

Andrea said...

I am soooo sory you have been sick. I am praying for you! Sometimes GOD reveals HIMSELF most to me when I am not well. I pray HE will pour HIMSELF out to you like never before.
Blessings, hugs, and prayers, andrea

Tracy said...

I'm so very sorry to hear you've been so sick! Definitely sending prayers for your recovery. It is amazing what an encouragement we find in God's word at times like that, isn't it? I have to agree with you...memorizing scripture this year was one of the best things I've ever done. Take care, sweet sister.

Love,
Tracy

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I am so very sorry you have been so sick with the flu! I hope you are better soon! I've just finished saying a prayer for you.

One of my favorites of the 24 verses I've meditated on this year is Jeremiah 29: 11..."For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Not everyone has had nice peaceful thoughts towards me this year but it gives me peace to know that the LORD always has my best interest in mind and always has thoughts of peace towards me!

You have been such an inspiration to me during this year! Thank you!

Love ya,
Marilyn...in Mississippi

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

Whispering prayers even as I type this to our heavenly Father who hears all our prayers that He will restore your health and each day make each breath you take easier and lighter than the one before it. May He heal you in no time and may you be fully restored.

My scripture lately has been, "Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding." Proverbs 3:5 AMP


Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Leah Adams said...

Yolanda,

I'm hosting a Scripture memory challenge for 2010 over at my blog in case you are interested.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Leah

Beth Herring said...

Praying even harder for you my friend.

I too love that scripture and it really speaks to me.

I pray that your cough doesn't linger as long as mine did. 3 weeks!

Love you so and am counting the days until Houston!

Terri Tiffany said...

I am so sorry you have been sick! I know that flu is a hard one to bear. I'll be praying for your health.
Thank you for being a constant in my life this past year. I look forward to a great 2010 and more inspiration from you!

Anonymous said...

Yolanda, hope you feel better :)
Writing down scriptures in my flip index cards and memorizing them have helped me so much this past year!
"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!"
2Corinthians 9:15 (NKJV)
Happy New Year!
Miriam

Edie said...

In the last month the verse that God has impressed on my heart is

"Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

I hope you are well soon.

Love and blessings over you for the new year.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Proverbs 4: 5-9
5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget My words or swerve from them.
6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.
7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
though it cost all you have, get understanding.
8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.
9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."
10 Listen, My [daughter], accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.
11 I guide you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.


And I've got a surprise for you too! It's coming - just wait for it! Listen for it!!

Choosing JOY in JESUS ONLY in 2010,
Stephanie

Runner Mom said...

Bless your precious heart! I will be praying for you! Hope that you will feel better soon. Thank you for your sweet card! I treasure your friendship. God has truly blessed me with wonderful friends.

Much love!
Susan