Monday, November 22, 2010

Looking upward

It has been so blustery here in our area with lots and lots of wind, with cooler temps and with that the dreary can set in and take hold if we aren't careful. I'm trying to be extremely mindful of this in my life right now, are you? If so, what are some things that you do to FIGHT against this attack that comes at us this time of year?

I am digging into God's Word and today this hit me so strongly that I knew it was time to take a moment and write to you from my heart and the words God would have me to share to encourage you today as well.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor 4:16-18 NIV.

You and I are to not lose heart. That is not easy to do if we are always thing of "us". In the current, I desire to keep my eyes on God. He's up to some mighty fine things, isn't He? I know He has totally encouraged me this past week and my heart is delighted. I've seen restoration, and I've been given hope. With this hope it also truly blesses me that my troubles really are only momentary and light. They seem like they are lasting forever and that they are burdensome, but God is using them to work something out in me, and deep down, that is what I want, for Him to work out in me for His will and good purpose. I desire that for YOU as well!

With much love at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

6 comments:

Beth Herring said...

It seems like God has to take us into the valley to keep our eyes focused upward!

I love you and am praying that God continue to work in your life!

Kathleen said...

For years I've had a sensitivity to "dreary", but then I discovered this: "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. (Psalm 84:11)

Every day is Spring in the Lord.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Kathleen

Loren said...

This speaks volumes to me Yolanda! Keeping our eyes on JESUS and not allowing the circumstances or the time of those circumstances that seem to be never ending! You have encouraged me and I LOVE the Word Kathleen shared as well! Isn't God just so awesome how HE connects our hearts to HIM and to one another to lift each other up! I just love HIM and this bloggy world!! :)

Praying for you my friend!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

This is such a lovely blog. I'm glad I found it.

Doris

Warren Baldwin said...

Good post.

Did you ever get my response on FB about some books I've read? Have two novels by Nicole Baart that are good, if you want fiction. For nonfiction I just finished a great John Ortberg book - The Life You've Always Wanted. I can get my copies to you.

Have a great Thanksgiving! wb

Rebecca said...

My "light and momentary" is shingles - something I'd only heard others lament. Now I know.

I am susceptible to the "winter drearies", too. One year I read through the Psalms and highlighted the word "light" everywhere it occurred. I also find that praise music playing throughout the day helps.

And, instead of fighting it, when possible, I flow with it. If it feels like bedtime and I don't have other activity, I go to bed!