Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kayak or a Canoe?






I've watched people the past week either individual kayaking or several in a canoe here on Maui, causing me to think about being a team member.

With being a team member, I think it is important to be a team player. How do you and I incorporate this in our Christian walk? Should we be "team players"?

I say yes or why would Christ have gathered the disciples? Why would He have started the early church through Paul and the disciples?

Yet, you and I also have to be strong enough to be a team player first of all with JUST GOD. Then we can come together with others and CHRIST to form a team. We have to have our own walk of our faith then because of our own walk, we can join together as a team. That team work comes into effect when we are willing to get out of our "kayak" so to speak and get into the "canoe". When this happens inside of our very own hearts and souls, we then are able to share our journey making a difference in our home, community and our world. I truly do believe that we have to have our very own relationship with Christ, God's word says so! But, when we do then there are awesome dynamics that take place for us to be able to help one another. RADICAL MIRACLES we shall witness.

Team scripture: Matthew 18:20 NIV For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

This has happened in my own life when God placed it on my heart to start up a group of Bible-believing women over the U.S. to pray together and for one another EVERY Friday, and this has been going on since June of '05. Let me tell you, we have seen first hand.....MIRACLES! And then in October of '07 God placed it on my heart to bring two younger women along side me to share Christ in my small community. We meet together each Friday at noon, out in public. My desire was to show them that they are making a difference, and because of me saying YES TO GOD....we are no longer three, but FOUR. Four women, loving JESUS, all different ages, different dynamics, simply different seasons of our lives. Yet....hungry to learn more of our Savior, to learn from one another's mistakes, to stay on the straight and narrow path of God's WORD. By being real, by being committed, and by having accountability as a MUST in this group. (We call ourselves, Friday Friends, something I grasped from a Dr. Leslie Parrot study I participated in with a group of women at my church.)

Can't you just hear the questions? How much time is involved, is it hard following through with commitments every Friday, exhaustion ever settle in, is it worth it? My life is not only rich today but I feel a sense of purpose compared to a short time ago. By saying Yes to God, there is much cause for joy in my heart and my day to day life. He is extremely REAL TO ME. God is using me, working through me, to be MAKING A DIFFERENCE in one woman's heart at a time.

TEAM WORK

Sharing about "Friday Friends" teamwork, the 4 of us are all in a different battle, and I think that it is meant to be this way, in part, because we are drawing nearer to God. We are MAKING A DIFFERENCE. The enemy doesn't like that, he will come after us, because why should he go for someone that is leading a mediocre life....he kind of has them in his court so to speak because they aren't necessarily walking in VICTORY. The 4 of us are drawing nearer to Jesus, and Jesus is drawing nearer to us. Four doesn't mean one does it? Four means a team. We pray for one another, we love one another, we forgive one another, and we work well together, just as we also work well alone. But God has called us to UNITY! Not uniformity, but UNITY.

If you are looking for something more, ASK God for direction concerning how He wants to use you. See Matthew 7:7-12. He will listen, He will answer, and He will give you hope.

Finally, what happens when we become members of The Team For God? We carry one another's burdens, and we fulfill the law of Christ. Yolanda's thoughts, but check out what God has to say about it in Galatians 6:1-10. We also are shining our LIGHTS! Not hiding them under a bushel basket.

Girlfriends, GRACE AND PEACE TO YOU from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.




PS: It is extremely important to allow God to build The Team! If we get ahead of Him, we only create a mess and heartache. I have been way ahead of God, and as Pamela posted, she has also. May we learn from one another, and listen to the Heart of God.

7 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Making a difference is what it is all about and we have to live passionately for our Lord, not just in our heart but in our actions. God desires to know us, to love us and to be known and loved in return and the only eay that can happen is by developing our relationship with Him. Then He gives us the team to work with-I learned that the hard way I'm afraid.
wonderful post! I left you something on mine!!
In His Graces~Pamela

Lelia Chealey said...

This was so good Yolanda. I am really struggling right now with not wanting to cooperate with God in some areas of my life...I'll email you. I want to obey Him, but on the other hand I want to do it Lelia's way. Only problem is Lelia is a mess maker. :(
I know I'm on God's team, but I just don't understand why He keeps calling timeouts & making me sit on the bench. ???
Love you Hula girl!
Lelia

Lelia Chealey said...

Yolanda,
I am praying for your community. Be usable when you get home for all those hurting hearts. I don't even let my imagination go there. So sad.
Love you.
L
Also, WOW WOW WOW...your comment on my blog about your little granddaughter touched my heart so deeply. God is so tenderhearted isn't he?
I can't wait until we all get together.

Joyful said...

Yolanda, this is such a great post! There are so many references to "one another" in the Bible. God does want us in community.

Thanks for your words of encouragement to me - always a delight to hear from you.

Your pictures in Maui are wonderful. I have a cousin who is a missionary in Makawao, Maui.

Praying for your requests today. I will be praying at noon for the families, friends and those whose lives have been touched by this horrific tragedy. May you experience God's peace as well, thousands of miles away.

Have a good day,
Joy

Kelley said...

Yolanda,
Have you heard of CBS? It is similar to BSF but also a little different. Their mission statement is:
"Making disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ in our communities through caring, in-depth bible study available to all."

Our class in Olathe consists of 139women and 39 children. It is inter-denominational and there are over 60 churches represented by this one group of women alone. The class asks that we not discuss specific doctrine or church membership but come together in our unity of Christ through the Word of God. I don't know if there is a class in Ulysses. There are over 700 classes across the US and more throughout the world. Let me know if you want more info. This post made me think perhaps you might want to put a class together......

Enjoy your last few days in Hawaii and I am praying for the girls, their families and the entire community of Ulysses! I am so sorry!

Love, Kelley

Kelley said...

OOPS! I meant to say 139 women and 93 children in my previous post!

Kelley

valerie said...

I read your comment on Joy's blog.
I am so sorry about the five girls who were killed. My thoughts and prayers are with these families and friends.
Isn't Maui beautiful? I've been a few times. My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary there. He went during deer season! I never thought he'd miss that to go, but he loved it there and totally relaxed.
I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.
Valerie