As I continue to read through the Bible in a year, I get amazed at what God's people did or did not do. And then I think, are we really that much different today?
False gods, worshipping Baal, having Asherah poles.....money, sex, vehicles, how about self? Collections that we think nothing of, such as sun gods placed on patios and fences, Buddha statues, and the like? I actually went way out on a limb in my Maui study group last October and inquired due to them being totally surrounded with the "gods" of the islands. How difficult that must be to separate and not allow these "things" or "customs" into their homes. Not pointing fingers because there was a time that I honestly didn't know better. We allowed our kids to have a Ouija board, and I did have a ceramic sun god for my fence. When I learned that this was wrong, believe me, they got broken up and placed in my dumpster.
Wow, I sure got side tracked here, but I pray that what I have shared, will help another Sister. Not condemnation, but an awareness to be careful of what we allow in to our homes and our minds.
As I'm in 2 Chronicles, I can't help but think of all the kings from both the Northern & Southern kingdoms. That walked with God for a time period, and then they turned away from God allowing gods into their palaces and homes. Often due to either a mother or a wife and other times through men the kings sought out because they didn't "like" the words being spoken to them over a particular situation from the Prophets.
You know what that tells me, that women are influential. We do influence those around us. May we shine the Light of Christ and influence our spouses, our children, our homes and our co-workers in a positive way for Jesus. I also pray, truly on bended knee, that I will not EVER turn away from Him, and toss Him aside. That we will keep Him on the throne. That you and I will only draw nearer and nearer to God, and He will draw nearer and nearer to us.
False gods, worshipping Baal, having Asherah poles.....money, sex, vehicles, how about self? Collections that we think nothing of, such as sun gods placed on patios and fences, Buddha statues, and the like? I actually went way out on a limb in my Maui study group last October and inquired due to them being totally surrounded with the "gods" of the islands. How difficult that must be to separate and not allow these "things" or "customs" into their homes. Not pointing fingers because there was a time that I honestly didn't know better. We allowed our kids to have a Ouija board, and I did have a ceramic sun god for my fence. When I learned that this was wrong, believe me, they got broken up and placed in my dumpster.
Wow, I sure got side tracked here, but I pray that what I have shared, will help another Sister. Not condemnation, but an awareness to be careful of what we allow in to our homes and our minds.
As I'm in 2 Chronicles, I can't help but think of all the kings from both the Northern & Southern kingdoms. That walked with God for a time period, and then they turned away from God allowing gods into their palaces and homes. Often due to either a mother or a wife and other times through men the kings sought out because they didn't "like" the words being spoken to them over a particular situation from the Prophets.
You know what that tells me, that women are influential. We do influence those around us. May we shine the Light of Christ and influence our spouses, our children, our homes and our co-workers in a positive way for Jesus. I also pray, truly on bended knee, that I will not EVER turn away from Him, and toss Him aside. That we will keep Him on the throne. That you and I will only draw nearer and nearer to God, and He will draw nearer and nearer to us.

These are just a few of the scriptures this week that has touched my heart:
2 Chronicles 16:9 NIV "For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."
2 Chronicles 12:1 NIV "After Rehoboam's position as king was established and he had become strong, he and all Israel with him abandoned the law of the LORD."
2 Chronicles 27:a NIV "From the time that Amaziah turned away from following the LORD.."
James 4:8 NIV "Come near to God and he will come near to you."
Psalm 25:20-21 (Amplified Bible) "O keep me, Lord, and deliver me; let me not be ashamed or disappointed, for my trust and my refuge are in You. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for and expect You."
10 comments:
We do have unfluence-sometimes more than I want! I agree, we allow too much to come into our homes...probably starting with the TV?!?!?!?
Good points here dear!
In His Graces~Pamela
Ok...everytime I mis-spell I say "Just call me professor" (for I am )and I am saying that now. Sorry about the typo's above!
In His Graces~Pamela
I agree w/ Pamela---TV. Such a timewaster & the garbage that our kids have access too is unbelievable. I remember as a kid I had a ouija board too until my parents realized it was wrong.
Thanks for sharing this my Sister!
love,
Lelia
The interview w/ Lysa is up on my blog.:) Great question!
Great points! I like your site...and reading through your comments on other blogs! :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!
Prayers and Blessings!
Rebecca
Yolanda:
You asked about other Bible teachers on Lelia's blog.
Nancy DeMoss's study "Seeking Him". I'm currently doing her study "Lies Women Believe." I led Seeking Him a few years ago, and it was transformational for all of us who participated.
Also, I love anything by Alicia Britt Chole. Her book, "Anonymous" is a powerful read and she has a study out called "Choices"...I think. A link to her blog/website is under my favorites on my blog.
Jennifer Rothschild has done some studies and also Priscilla Shirer. I feel comfortable in recommending them all as sound, Biblical teaching with vary personalities to boot.
peace~elaine
Isaiah 6:1, "In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple."
This verse came to mind as I read your post. "King Uzziah" represents anything/anyone sitting on our "throne" that needs to "die" so that we can see the Lord.
I agree with Elaine on her Bible study suggestions. I just completed, "Seeking Him" - life changing! I've also done Jennifer Rothschild and Priscilla Shirer and would highly recommend both!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Love & prayers,
Joy
Hey Yolanda,
I've heard of all the authors that Elaine recommends except for Alicia...I'll have to check into her work as I too want to be broadened. I have on on my shelf right now by Debbie Taylor Williams that I am going to do this summer called "If GOD is in control, why do I have a headache?" her website is www.hillcountryministries.org
Think I've emailed you one of her devotions, but maybe not. OH and guess who recommended her on their blog? LOL...Beth Moore. :) hope I didn't sound like I am a BM stalker in my post. I really did like the shoes when I saw them, just didn't work out for me. Oh well...flip flops it is. ;)
Also, I love Elizabeth George and now most of her books come with studies. OH and I did Max Lucado's study called "Experiencing the Heart of Jesus" last year. Amazing!! It's a big workbook like Beth's are...same format~10 weeks, etc. I actually bought one for my neighbor & I got mine at Family Christian.
Love ya,
Lelia
OH, I just thought of another one I enjoyed...Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz...can't remember her last name. There's a few in that series. I co-led it with women from our church. We'd meet at Barnes & Noble and discuss it. After each chapter is a study.
Learned I'm definitely not alone with my Bad Girl history! :)
Geesh, I should've just called ya! ;)
Hey Yolanda thank you for the post on my blog. It brings great reasurance that possibly my mom might find Christ before she dies. She is tough as nails and has a kind of spirituallity that makes her kindof immune to a real relationship. Does that make sense?
Because of Him and God alone, I am still His after 39 years. He knows how to hold me well. Your post reminds me of the brownie story. Some kids presented their dad with a pro and con list about a movie they wanted to see that was not on the approved rating list. There were very few cons, to them the pros out weighed the cons. So he baked them the most amazing brownies, out of the finest ingredients, with just a little bit of dog poop. Kind of got the message across. A little bad going in goes a long way.
Post a Comment