Saturday, July 12, 2008

Peas & Carrots, or just dessert?


Do you ever look around you and wonder why someone eats just dessert? Doesn't their bodies get way out of whack? Their way of thinking, their way of reacting, their way of communicating? Perhaps that someone is me or even you?

Here are a couple of visuals that I believe shows the difference between the two:

I wonder why one comes to a bible study (for years), but doesn't want to study? They come with their home work not done, week in and week out. Never opening the Word of God, but EXPECTING and ASSUMING that others will feed them. Because they haven't searched for themselves, they come for milk and not the MEAT of God's Word. They come for dessert, things that taste good to their spirits and really doesn't leave any conviction, just feels good to their flesh.

You know what? Looking back, I honestly think I must have been this way because this gets under my skin, because I know they are missing out on so much. Yes, even though I know GRACE, Yolanda, GRACE....I am keeping it real and being honest and this is an area for God to work on me STILL! THERE IS SO MUCH TO GOD and I am so thankful for these women to be a part of the study but my heart is tender for them to just be taking the dessert, they miss the PEAS AND CARROTS. What really gives our souls nutrition, allowing us to grow closer and closer by having a DEEP relationship with Our Savior.
*
I know that there are times that we have a full schedule and we just can't get into our bibles for any length of time. But what about a snack? A quick devotion, or just a few passages out of Proverbs, or any of the scriptures? One minute? We'll give that to our friend on the telephone, text message or an email? A call and the next thing you know, we have found a whole half hour to run down to the local shop for a soda YET not 5 minutes prior you were telling God you were so sorry to not have found time to spend with Him today. OUCH! Ouch? Yes, I've been there and I so want more for my relationship with MY GOD! And for YOUR relationship with God. I have had to make choices to say no and give that time to God. WHY? Because He is my JOY, my STRENGTH, my HOPE, my SAVIOR. The most important relationship that I could EVER have. And Sisters, not condemning you, but wanting to encourage you that He will be that for you also, if you will make some small choices until those larger choices become much easier. Saying YES TO GOD, and have a heart for action and obedience. WALKING IN FAITH!


I may be stepping on some toes and coming across as very PIOUS, but that is not my intention at all. I feel a little like Paul this morning as I exhort and encourage others that loving Jesus/God with all of our hearts, with all of our souls, with all of our strength, and with all of our minds and loving our neighbors as ourselves, is where unspeakable rewards & joy that is not even comprehendible becomes attainable. Not because of rigidness, or rules, or strict living. By being soaked in God's word, and when one does it doesn't have to be a "time table". Simply like the Nike commercials from long ago...."JUST DO IT!".

I hear of others saying they can't find the time, but it's sad because we WILL find the time for the things that are important to us. Remember the phone call that lasted 15, 30 or even 60 minutes from yesterday?

I was having one of those bummed days not to long ago & discussing with my Best Friend Forever (Jesus) and my Best Friend (Bill) a situation that I had found myself in. A few hours later my Best Friend shared something with me out of "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day".

"Most of us want our opportunities nicely packaged and presented to us as a gift we simply have to unwrap. We want our lions stuffed or caged or cooked medium well and served on a silver platter. But opportunities typically present themselves at the most inopportune time in the most inopportune place.

The two Moabites didn't schedule an appointment with Benaiah's assistant. The Egyptian didn't knock on the door. He knocked down the door. And the lion didn't roll over and play dead.

Here is the great irony about opportunities. They usually come disguised as insurmountable problems. They look like five-hundred-pound lions that want to eat you for lunch. Or they look like six hundred Philistines charging at you.

To the average person, the circumstances presented to Benaiah were problems to run away from, not opportunities to be seized. But Benaiah didn't see a five-hundred-pound problem. He saw a lion skin hanging on his tent.

Lion chasers are the kind of people who rise to the occasion. Lion chasers are the kind of people who refuse to be intimidated by Moabites or Philistines. Lion chasers play to win. They fight for what they believe in. They don't live life sitting back on their heels. They live life on the tip of their toes waiting to see what God is going to do next."

I have been accused this week of having high expectations as a Mentor. This is a challenge because I know from my OWN walk when I give less than my best....I'm hurting no one but myself. I believe with all of my heart that I care deeply for hurting women and I want for them, what Jesus died for them to have!!! Sisters, I love you!!!
*
I have also been blessed this week to be told that I am a "tool" that God is using in a friend's life to challenge her to seek more. These few paragraphs from the book by Mark Batterson, I found so much encouragement because I AM A LION CHASER!

I will close with asking that you read 1 Corinthians 12. This is what touched me from verse 5: "There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord." And then One Body, Many Parts in The Church farther down in chapter 12. Meaning, the entire body of Christ, not just the church we attend on Sunday morning.

What do you sense God is putting on your heart, speaking to your spirit, that He wants you to be doing for service to Him? YOUR OWN SERVICE, not emulating someone else's service. This is the part that stings my heart as others want my life. What I do, what I say, what I have, etc....it saddens me because it won't work!

Girlfriends, I say this with much compassion and gentleness. The reason why I have such a conviction about my own service to God, and YOUR own service to God is: I KNOW I HAVE TRIED TO COPY WHAT SOMEONE ELSE WAS DOING, their service to God. It caused a friendship to be broken and separated, and still not healed. I saw a friend that I wanted to be around doing her own ministry that God had placed on her heart, and I tried to do the same. I was a baby Christian that had been pulled in under her wings. She was mentoring me and I thought because it worked for her, it would work for me. Because God had asked her to do, then I was to do also. I got worn out, tired, and it flat out didn't work because God didn't tell ME to do that, He told her to do that.

I think that is why God's word here speaks to me so much because He says we can't all be feet, we can't all be hands. We have to work together.

And the very next chapter calls each one of us to LOVE. I wanted to share with you because I've been there and done that and I don't want to see you making those mistakes. I love you. Girlfriends, what has God placed on your heart, for your very own service?

Are you ready for some peas and carrots, or perhaps is dessert enough?

18 comments:

Melinda said...

WooHoo! You GO girl!

Let's get down to eating some food for FUEL, not just STUFFIN' FOR NOTHIN'.

Good to have you back!

Love to you this day,
Melinda

Paula V said...

I can understand your feelings. Hopefully, others, as with myself, will not feel you are stepping on toes. Even if our toes are stepped on a little, I believe it is always good for me. There are several Christians I know that struggle with dessert only and not having enough time with God. I admit there are days that pass that I'm not in His Word but no day passed that I don't read scripture through my Streams devo or through email devo.

I have read "In a Pit With a Lion On a Snowy Day". It is an outstanding book and I'd highly recommend it for every one. I think it should be required for every Christian. My church did a six week sermon series based on it. Full of such profound knowledge, it is.

Love,
Paula

Joyful said...

WOW Yolanda...you are "daring to be dangerous" as you said on my blog!

I think I need to copy out the first part of this and read it to my Bible study girls in September. It is frustrating to look around the table and see pages without any writing, indicating that no homework has been done. I'm disappointed for them, knowing they are missing out on so much more, but I have come to rejoice in the fact that they have made the effort to at least be with us for this hour and a half and I pray that one day their hearts will be open and they will have an Emmaus Road experience where their hearts will burn within them for more of the Lord. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to see these ladies in God's Word, the old saying is true: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Only God can ignite that desire from within, and so I continue in prayer and I'm thankful for their commitment and attendance each week. Praying God will use my passion to encourage them to desire more.

Love & prayers,
Joy

Lelia Chealey said...

HI Yolanda!
A few years ago I decided to do a Beth Moore study. The earlier addition of "Living Beyond Yourself" was done before she started doing the audio teachings & videos so I could do it at home, by myself. (It has now been updated with DVD teachings.)
After my relationship with Jesus began to grow I longed for a study that would make me grow. I didn't have to look past my book shelf as I realized I had FOUR of Beth's studies but had never gotten past week TWO in all 4 of them! It took me a few years and when I had gotten to a place that I was ready to do one, I started and completed this study. So a few years after originally starting this study I met with Jesus every morning at my kitchen table. We were elated when I passed week 2. What a victory for Jesus that was and we celebrated.
Before,it had only taken the enemy 2 weeks before I tired of being in God's Word, and Satan saw my face again. AT that time in my life 2 weeks was about as long as I desired change and a relationship with Jesus before I'd be back to my old tricks.
This time was different though. I completed the study and moved on to start another one and complete Breaking Free.
I was one to show up to Bible study without my pages in my book complete. I remember sitting there listening to what God was doing in these women's lives and thinking "I want this". If I got under anyone's skin for showing up without having my blanks filled in, not one of them let me know it. Probably why I kept signing up for the studies when the women's ministry team offered them. I had signed up 4 different times. I was welcomed and loved no differently than the ones who not only had each day completed, but even had notes in their margins.
Looking back, at that time in my life, I just wasn't ready to surrender all to Jesus, but those woman knew that I would on God's timing, not theirs.
I just want to encourage you Yolanda, to just be an example of what a woman looks like who fits God into their schedule by how you live your life.
God is the only One who can see into the hearts of those with busy schedules and blank pages. Let them live up to God's expectations, not Yolanda's. Don't get me wrong here, I hear your passion for them, but they have to have their own "God experience" just like I did. It didn't happen in my church's Bible study, but rather in my own basement with my face flat down on the carpet.
And as far as not getting the whole meal...when Gene had surgery this past April, his post-op "meal" for 2 days was only ice chips and water. Then a little bit of food. By day 4 he was eating a Burger King Whopper. Just takes time friend. Just let them see Jesus in you and when they show up just for dessert...PRAISE HIM
(and them)that they simply showed up! They will get to the whole meal on His timing.
It's just all about Him and nothing about us isn't it?
Love you,
Lelia

Yolanda said...

Exactly right, Lelia. Exactly right. To be thankful for those that come at any point.


Perhaps this needs to be in large bold print?

"And Sisters, not condemning you, but wanting to encourage you that He will be that for you also, if you will make some small choices until those larger choices become much easier. Saying YES TO GOD, and have a heart for action and obedience. WALKING IN FAITH!"

I'm thinking it must have gotten missed in the reading because there was lots here to take in. I totally want to love others right where they are at, and that is something I strive for day in and day out because that was the very thing that God did for me. Loved me right where I was at, and continues to do so.

It's like watching a great movie & not finishing it. Or joining a cooking club and not bringing the ingredients with you and when it's time to go home after the class, not having cookies to take home. There is so much reward and it certainly takes baby steps.

It was not my intention to condemn or offend; simply to encourage. I am sorry if I have done so.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yolanda:
For a long time I resisted Bible study. I, too, didn't think that I had the time. But one day about 5 years ago, God prompted my heart to get involved in a community women's study.

I was hooked. I tasted the truth of Jesus like never before, and I understand the importance of being in God's Word on a daily basis. That being said, I know the frustration when others don't seem to get it. I facilitate Bible studies where homework is involved, and I've come to accept that many of them won't do the work.

I had to move on from that and trust that one day, they too, will have a head on collision with God like I did. In the meantime, I stay faithful to my own walk and pray that there would be something in my own life that would lead others to dig deeper into God's Word.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I believe that you share them because you have tasted the power of peas and carrots, and somehow, that is so much sweeter than the other!

Be blessed this week.

peace~elaine

valerie said...

You're right, Yolanda. What a great post.
There is so much in God's Word when we dive in and study. The more we do it the more we want more.
Several years ago I was talking to a dear Christian friend and when she would talk about her relationship with God it caused me to want what she had. It was so personal. I was saved at an early age, I read my Bible and prayed and attended church regularly hearing the Word taught....something was missing and it was a genuine relationship with God. I began doing Beth Moore studies and it truly changed my life. She had the same relationship with God that my friend had. Beth said "If you want that kind of a relationship with God....ask Him for it." It took me getting into His Word and into studies and yes, completing the homework. Beth is right when she says "There aint no High like the Most High."
Thank you for this reminder.
I'm trying to be disciplined in some other areas now....like exercise and eating right. :)
Thanks Yolanda!
Val

Lelia Chealey said...

Yolanda,
First of all, I am so sorry for writing a book!! My goodness, I should've emailed you!
So glad we just talked on the phone! Like I told you on the phone, your passion for God is VERY evident. I just wanted to encourage you to not focus on what others are not doing so you too don't miss out on what God has for you. Love your heart for God & other women that are so capable of "beauty from ashes" like we are proof of. I believe our Creator is pleased with the love not condemnation you have for others. What just came to mind is those women at the grocery stores that are cooking & trying to get the shoppers to sample & then buy their products. I see you like that..."just taste Jesus and see that He is good!" :)
November sounds like a good time for our "Girls for God" weekend retreat. :)
Love you much!
Lelia

Unknown said...

Yolanda,

Oh, girl...you go! :) I am a teacher. It is my gift from God. So, when I see homework not done when it pertains to God, it does get under my skin. However, like you've said, we love and we don't condemn. We pray for them to be in a place to put God first. Pray for them to desire God more and more and more.

You've written a great post! Keep 'em coming!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

Kelley said...

Hi Yolanda,
Thanks for your encouragement and prayers. This post is how I feel for my children, I want them to eat peas and carrots too but they just kind of roll their eyes and ask for ice cream. lol Hopefully as their taste buds grow they will crave some true nutrition and they will know exactly where to go to find it!! I also understand about the women in my study groups. What a great day to celebrate when they finally begin to "get it"! I'm praying you will get to do much celebrating....

Love,
Kelley

Laura said...

We miss out on so much when we don't take the invitation to go deeper, don't we? It is so rich, so rewarding in and of itself to be in deep relationship with God and learn more about Him that I know once experienced, we will be spoiled for that dessert! Great illustration, BTW! Bring on the MEAT!!!

Luanne said...

Wow reading these comments made me feel like I was watching a ping pong match.

I feel the same frustrations when I do a bible study with my girlfriends from high school. Its forever getting canceled because they put every little thing ahead of the study, and when we do finally meet, 90 percent of the time they havent done the homework.

I can't tell you how many times I haven't wanted to go because of that, but God in his gentle way keeps reminding me I'm not my sisters keeper.

Lelia's comment about the unfinished studies she is finishing now reminds me of the saying "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear."

Guess we need to keep reminding ourselves that we don't know what God is doing with those empty pages.

I enjoyed reading your post.

Luanne

Laurie Ann said...

Very good post! May I never be satisfied with just dessert, and may I feast on the Peas and Carrots of His Word.

Unknown said...

Yolanda,

Your word pictures are just fabulous. I used to be the dessert person. However I discovered peas and carrots (the spiritual kind 'cause I'm not that fond of the real ones) and they are GOOD! Thank you for speaking the truth in love.

Samantha said...

Thank you for the comment and for this post. It isn't falling on deaf ears, rest assured!

I was always hesitant to blog about this whole journey, but now I'm grateful for it. It's giving me a chance to get know people as genuine as you and Lelia :)

Blessings!
Samantha

Sandra Garcia said...

Great analogy. I read somewhere in the bible (can't seem to find it now) that your spirit is still being nourished even when you're reading the bible and your mind wanders and you think you didn't get much from what you just read, your spirit has still been nourished. It's definitely not the way we want to read God's word but imagine how much more our spirits could be nourished if we took the time to eat our peas and carrots.

Blessings,
Sandra

Laurie Ann said...

Yolanda, your comment blessed my heart. God bless your grandchildren and your servant's heart. Mentoring sounds great. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Lisa said...

Great thoughts, Yolanda!

Love to hear truth.

Lisa :)