Friday, July 18, 2008

Whose Name Are You Dropping?

Good morning, oh my coffee tastes so good, how about your coffee/tea this morning? I awoke to a low covering of fog making it look so cool out. So I zipped out the door to see if I could enjoy my coffee on the back deck as the sun came over the horizon, and YIKES talk about humidity! NO THANK YOU!

My husband spent some time this week out on a job site in the sun and heat of the Kansas prairies, doing things that he totally enjoys. My Man, simply loves helping others and being involved. When he came home that evening he said something that I, myself, had been pondering over for some time, and continue to find myself doing so. He was concerned about a person whose conversation is littered with name dropping. So I ask, whose name or names are we dropping in our conversations?

This got me to thinking about ourselves, are Bill and I like that? I honestly pray not, but perhaps? Why do we do this? To elevate ourselves so that others think we are important, that we know so and so? That we are rubbing elbows with the elite? Look at who I am for having been in their presence? God tells us to not do this in 1 Corinthians 3:21 "So then, no more boasting about men!"

Yes. Honestly, I think the answer is yes to each of these question that I have asked. What do you think? May you and I take a few moments to see what God's word has to say about boasting. Can't boasting be about name dropping?

"Since many are boasting in the way the world does, I too will boast." 2 Corinthians 11:18

I believe that Paul was encouraging those at Corinth to boast not like the world, but to boast in the things of God. That is what I want to challenge each one of us to do, perhaps starting with TODAY. To let go of the worlds ways and speak the name(s) of GOD! Season our conversations with who God is to you and what God does for you and those around you.

Why? Because we are to elevate the NAME OF JESUS. To reveal to the world just how IMPORTANT He is to us. That we KNOW Him, in a deep personal way, which is called RELATIONSHIP. Yes, that we are rubbing elbows with OUR SAVIOR and HE ALONE IS ELITE. That we are spending time in HIS presence!

How cool is that? Doesn't that just place a smile clear across your face??!!! Put some joy way down deep into your heart?!!

Psalm 34:2 "My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice."

Psalm 44:8 "In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever. Selah"

Jeremiah 9:24 "but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD."

1 Corinthians 1:31 "Therefore, as it is written: 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.' " See 2 Corinthians 10:17 also.

2 Corinthians 2:12 "Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace."

Galatians 6:14 "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

Perhaps you will remember some time ago that I shared with you that I so believe God loves to hear us bragging on Him. I believe, when we are dropping HIS NAME, we are, ARE, bragging on Him! May you find JOY today, in boasting in just who and what GOD is to you!

Drop His Name Girlfriends BECAUSE YOU LOVE HIM MORE THAN LIFE!

11 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

I love being a Jesus Name Dropper!!! :) I had an early post when I first started blogging about how we say the Name of Jesus. Really made me think of HOW it comes out of my mouth.
Have a great weekend friend!
Love ya,
Lelia

Anonymous said...

Yolanda, Amen sister! Since I recieved my good news on Monday about my scholarship, I have told everyone, "I've been praying that Jesus would make a way for me to afford to continue school, but I had no idea just what He had in store for me!" And I do not feel like I'm bragging or boasting on anyone but the Lord, because it is only through Him that I have what I do. At the hospital recently, a man was telling me that he had gotten 9 pints of blood in a week, but he wasn't worried, because he had that ONE DROP of blood from Jesus, and that's all he would need! Gave me "holy ghost bumps"! And then he apologized for boring me. I said no way! I'm never bored when I'm bragging on the Lord! I think this is what God wants us to do, to tell everyone we meet the Good News!

Unknown said...

Yolanda: Thank you thank you. I know I have dropped some names from time to time. And it wasn't the name of Jesus I am sad to say. But I have found that as I have drawn closer to Him and my intimacy with Him has increased, I find myself dropping His name more and more. Even when I get the funny looks or the ackward silence, it doesn't deter me because I'm not ashamed of the Love of my Life, Jesus. (Hubby is the 2nd love of my life and I think he's okay with that!)

Thanks for the reminder :)

In Christ,
Mari

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Some of my favorite verses, Yolanda. You are right on with your thinking. I certainly have wasted many years in the boasting of men. I want to keep Jesus as the boast of my heart. Only he is worthy of my praise.

God bless your Sunday rest.

peace~elaine

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Yolanda! I just read Lelia's blog, and your comment about baggage was so on target! What a great analogy! Thanks!

I love to drop Jesus' name and watch the expressions! Some faces light up and others remain the same. I hope that mine will always light up at the name of the One and Only.

Blessings,
Susan

Joyful said...

My heart is singing a song, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, there's just something about that Name. Master, Savior, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain..."

At the name of Jesus one day every knee will bow. Oh how I love that Name,
Joy

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

My friend, I missed you this last week!! I hope one day we can meet face-to-face. Like you, I desire to be a Jesus name dropper!! We have a heart that is so similiar and I learn so much from you. Thank you for those verses..sweet, sweet verses...
In His Graces~Pamela

LynnSC said...

What an awesome post. I loved all the scripture that you included... and I needed to be reminded of dropping Jesus' name.

Bragging is rooted in our pride... and we all know what God thinks of pride. May we only boast in knowing Jesus as Paul did.

Lynn

Tori said...

i would be honored. thanks for the kind comments. hope the bible study went well. :)

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Yolanda! Thanks for visiting my post! I loved your words of encouragement!! Bless your heart! And ....I just love the saying of the sign that you now have! I wrote down that quote!

I hope that your day is wonderful!
Blessings,
Susan

Shirley Mary said...

Yolanda, thanks so much for the words of affirmation that you left on my blog. I can't express how much it meant to feel surrounded by love and concern by blogging friends during the emotional roller coaster of emotions last week with my brother.

"Whose Name Are You Dropping?" is a really,really good post! And such good scriptures that you have given with your thoughts. Jeremiah 9:24 is one that I memorized a number of years ago. It says so much!

There is a song that ends with these words:
"And sometimes when my head is bowed in sorrow
I call the name of Jesus, and He's there.

He is faithful and truly deserves all our praise and honor and "name dropping!"

mary