Monday, October 20, 2008

Divisions and rivalry

Do you find yourself having fun by yanking some one's chain? Something totally meant to be humorous and not an ounce of meanness?

One morning this past week our friends from home walked in and our "fun" rivalry was evident, between he and I. As you can see, Mr. Ron likes K-state; I just asked my own husband and he said he was probably for UT. Anyway, later in the evening while playing cards, I asked to have our picture taken before we parted ways for the night.



This picture got me to thinking about how we, The Church, have such a rivalry between denominations, between genders, and even between ourselves inside our church building. Total division!

The Church at Corinth was advised on these divisions and Sisters, we are NO different. Yet, we participate in this dysfunction by standing on rib issues as if they were spine issues. Where is our Christian, Brotherly and Sisterly love? Why would someone in the world even begin to want what we have if this is what we are displaying?

1 Corinthians 3 is a great place to spend some time today reflecting on how you and I should be walking as Believers. "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?" Verse 16.

Yesterday during our church service the sermon really spoke to me and how I need to be respecting others. Pastor Richard said we would be wise to remember that EVERYONE has an invisible sign around their neck that reads "Do I matter to you?"


My thoughts to myself and those reading are, if we are having divisions and rivalry, doesn't that speak loud and clear that others do not matter to me or to you.

Father God, thank You for convicting me to spend myself. To not keep score, and to honor and value others. Father, today, may You find me stepping this out towards You and the world. I love You deeply! Amen.

6 comments:

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Yolanda!
Love the picture!! My husband and I are also divided when it comes to Nov. 1!!! The Gamecocks-USC(me!) vs. the Volunteers-UT-(him).

What a great analogy within the church. Your posts so make me think and rethink!!
Love ya,
Susan

Vickie said...

Hi Yolanda,I so agree with what you say here.

Pastor Richard said we would be wise to remember that EVERYONE has an invisible sign around their neck that reads "Do I matter to you?" If we are having divisions and rivalry, doesn't that speak loud and clear that others do not matter to me or to you.

The Word is so clear and so simple. If we could just treat each other as we would like to be treated, it could eliminate so much.

God bless you for highlighting this.

Vickie

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Yolanda-what about the riverary within the church. We are dealing with that in our own faith community. It is not pretty. Keep posting those pictures!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Paula V said...

That's a good visual to see every person with a sign around his/her neck saying "Do I really matter?".

Oh, and yes, I love to have fun and yank chains. We get that a lot with the two male Deans I work with. You'd have to be there to see how much it goes on...pranks about the printer, singing, one-liner jokes, it's really a nice break throughout the day to have a little jolly.
Miss seeing you in blogland.
Paula

Terri Tiffany said...

I love the sign! Are you still on vacation? Love the pictures!

Christy said...

What a great entry, and I have to say I'm right with Ron ;)
You're completely right though, we do have so many (sadly) rivalries and so unnecessary.

Thanks for giving me such wonderful things to think on today!