Girlfriends, have you ever heard the statement, "I could just scoop you up with a spoon and eat you?" Why would one say that you may be asking? Because they are PURE SUGAR! That's exactly how I feel about my grand kids. There is nothing that tugs on my heart like the words, "Grandma, ......"
Way back mid-summer we booked our flight for Florida to spend Thanksgiving with our son and his family. For those that at this point have a grandchild, then you know there just isn't anything much better that is touchable this side of heaven. My Grandson, Bryan, called a few weeks back to sing to us "5 Little Pumpkins Sitting On a Gate", and just talk story. Our church was having a revival and the evening that Bryan called was our last night so Bill & I really didn't want to miss it. As I said my good-byes to Bryan to give Bill just a few minutes alone with him, I literally heard the softest sweetest words I may have ever heard in my life time. "I love you sweet love" came from this precious little boy of 4 1/2 years of age. Pure, gentle & un-solicited words that carried deep meaning to my heart. Words I've used to soothe my soul since they were spoken to me to remind me of God's love for me.
These very words were also a wink from God to stir with-in me a longing to travel & to get outside of my comfort zone. You see, we live in a dark world and as our Pastor shares with us, we are the Light. I will tell you that our grand-children, three total, cause me to not only pick up my spoon, but to lick it clean, savoring every tasty morsel that comes from their hearts.
It had been 18 months since we had traveled to Florida the last time. Yes, that is a long time...but they live thousands of miles from us and the rest of their families. Bryan is no different towards us than the day we left to travel back to Kansas, 18 months ago. In less than a minute, he is holding my hand, giving out many hugs and kisses to both Bill and I. For three days, we spent some great quality time with him and his parents. Any time that there was a space beside me, there was Bryan, cuddled up and soaking up my love for him.
Any time Bryan would say, "Grandma,..." whether it was a statement or a question my hearing was well tuned to his precious little voice. A request didn't stay as a request for long.
I really want to stop here for the time being, but there is much more to this that I will touch upon, but I feel the Lord saying, here is what I want you to share.
Sisters....we are told over and over to come to Him as the little children, to receive the little children and to love like the children. Can you imagine how much we would change our immediate world around us by loving like Bryan loves me? Or your grandchildren loving YOU? No amount of time or distance changes his love for me. No amount of money can buy his love for he always loves me and I love him. He told me that he had the "bestest" present for me for my birthday. A HUG! But you know what, the "bestest" present is his unconditional love that he pours out onto me reminding me of My Father's LOVE for me. I wonder if He ever feels such compassion that He desires to lick His spoon? I may have to ask Him just that, when I see Him face to face.
Until the next time, I'm relishing fond memories!
Luke 18:15-17 The Message: People brought babies to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they shooed them off. Jesus called them back. "Let these children alone. Don't get between them and me. These children are the kingdom's pride and joy. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I understand...I am not a grandmother, but my little nephew lives away from us. His mother is military so he has lived in several states. No matter how long it is between visits, he still sqeezes and shares kisses with us. He's wonderful.
And it is just like God's love. No matter how far we are, no matter what we have done, when we go to visit with God...he still loves us.
Many Blessings
I just loved this.
I'm smiling as I picture my Father licking His spoon. :o)
Oh my goodness! My sister-in-law always says of the babies... "I could just eat 'em up." Laughing as I think of it. Sweetness and all things good to us are the babies in our lives.
I can't wait to be a Grammy... but then again I can. My kids are all still pre-20 ish so a long wait is what I am indeed hoping for.
Both my girls have said, "No babies." for the time being which at first broke my heart... but alas, I think I shall just accept they have not yet landed in the right season of life to long for babies. I was born longing for them... and started early.
Yikes. I've done it again. I feel like such a blawg hawg... So thanksgiving was wonderful? It was for us, too.
Blessings.
This is precious. I could related to much of what you said in regards to my two nieces. Instead of licking them though, I've often said I'd scoop them up and eat them. I don't know where I got that. I hope it's a real saying but maybe somewhere along the line I got the lickin' and eatin' mixed up. Same concept...lick the sugar, eat the sugar.
I love the sweet word of children, like Bryan's words of love.
It is amazing the love between child and adult is so much like God and His child.
My seven-year old niece loves to write in books (diaries of sort). One time she wrote I love...I love...and listed many people. At the end she said "why wouldn't I?".
Isn't that precious...to know no reason but to love another.
Thanks, Yolanda.
Big licks to you...haha...just had to say that.
Love,
Paula
I continue to pray for God's love to live in me and through me. Left to my own reserves, my love is weak and temporal and full of selfish intent. God has been faithful to answer my prayers. It is a worthy request and one that I pray each day. I don't have grandkids, but when my kids offer me their love via their words, my heart melts all over again.
Have a blessed week.
peace~elaine
There is so much truth here my friend. I want to love like that.
I look forwared to being a grandmother!
In His Graces~Pamela
Oh, my goodness, if this doesn't bring the tears to my eyes! What a precocious little grandson you have. Sweet one, indeed. A lovely memory to share.
Thank you for blessing me today!
Yolanda this just absolutely warms my heart. What a beautiful grandson you have, and what a loving God we have.
Bless you
Vickie
You were in Florida!! Hope you enjoyed it here! And you encouraged me about your grandson story. Mine lives in Seattle and we never get to see him--we hope someday he knows us!
Powerful Yolanda!! Thanks for sharing this.
love you,
Lelia
Post a Comment