Remember from my last post that I mentioned there was MORE that I would share with you from spending Thanksgiving with our son and his family? I saw two quotes that I want to share with you right now, the authors are unknown. "The enemy of faith is selfishness." And "Love that doesn't understand the language of sacrifice is not love."
Being a parent and/or a grandparent SHOULD NOT BE about being selfish, especially when it comes to giving of self. I really hadn't stopped to think about what God was teaching me until we got back to Kansas. I was journaling about our time together, when BOOM....God showed me such an awesome visual.
Thanksgiving morning found Bryan and I alone for maybe an hour or so when all of a sudden he asked, "Grandma, will you catch a frog with me?" Remember, a request doesn't remain a request for long with this Grandma and her precious Grandson...especially with-in reason. Now, for those that wouldn't know this, I'm not a hands on, feely, touchy type of an animal person. Yet, I love God's creation, and how majestic He created animals. I love them in a unique way, but, BUT....from a distance.
Here comes Bryan with his catching net and a gallon size Ziploc bag. I'm thankful that one of us was prepared, and believe me, it was NOT me. I had no idea what I was in for, but I just knew that I was going to step up to the plate and not leave my Pure Sugar grandson thinking less of his Grandma Rogers. Out we went to his fort play ground equipment when I was informed to move the shutters. As I did so, there had to have been at least 6 to 8 tree frogs leaping right at me. I HAD NO IDEA, but what I did know was that I would fill the request.
Aren't we to be like Bryan....prepared? Putting on the Armor of God. (Ephesians 6:10-20).
On Friday morning, Bryan came again saying to me, "Grandma, my froggie needs a friend." I just cracked up and away we went, but this time I knew what to expect and so I added much more emphasis on being scared. As we were walking to the back yard I shared with Bryan, that I was only doing this for him, that he was getting me way out of my comfort zone.
So as I was journaling on Sunday morning about our frog catching expedition, I couldn't help but think that being a Grandma is NOT FOR SISSIES! And I would guarantee you that if Bryan was asked the question, "Is your Grandma Rogers a Sissie?" He would answer with a firm loud NO.
Don't you think that being a Christian is not for sissies? That God wants us to not leave His request as a request for long. To simply trust Him and be obedient to what He asks of us?
I was thinking about how being a Grandma has brought much joy to my heart, but it also has brought much joy to my Grandchildren as well. A scripture that confirms this to me is Luke 6:38 from the ESV "give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
Psalm 8:3-5 ESV "When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,what is man that you are mindful of him,and the son of man that you care for him? Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor."
God created me, as well as Bryan and yes those tree frogs. Why? For us to bring Him Glory and Honor and that He cares so much for me that He gave me Grandchildren that are a true delight to my heart. You see, I'm not a Mother in the sense of having birthed my own children, yet I am blessed to be able to mother other's. What a blessing it is to be a Grandmother, and to not be a Sissie.
**Do you have your own story to share with me?**
Being a parent and/or a grandparent SHOULD NOT BE about being selfish, especially when it comes to giving of self. I really hadn't stopped to think about what God was teaching me until we got back to Kansas. I was journaling about our time together, when BOOM....God showed me such an awesome visual.
Thanksgiving morning found Bryan and I alone for maybe an hour or so when all of a sudden he asked, "Grandma, will you catch a frog with me?" Remember, a request doesn't remain a request for long with this Grandma and her precious Grandson...especially with-in reason. Now, for those that wouldn't know this, I'm not a hands on, feely, touchy type of an animal person. Yet, I love God's creation, and how majestic He created animals. I love them in a unique way, but, BUT....from a distance.
Here comes Bryan with his catching net and a gallon size Ziploc bag. I'm thankful that one of us was prepared, and believe me, it was NOT me. I had no idea what I was in for, but I just knew that I was going to step up to the plate and not leave my Pure Sugar grandson thinking less of his Grandma Rogers. Out we went to his fort play ground equipment when I was informed to move the shutters. As I did so, there had to have been at least 6 to 8 tree frogs leaping right at me. I HAD NO IDEA, but what I did know was that I would fill the request.
Aren't we to be like Bryan....prepared? Putting on the Armor of God. (Ephesians 6:10-20).
On Friday morning, Bryan came again saying to me, "Grandma, my froggie needs a friend." I just cracked up and away we went, but this time I knew what to expect and so I added much more emphasis on being scared. As we were walking to the back yard I shared with Bryan, that I was only doing this for him, that he was getting me way out of my comfort zone.
So as I was journaling on Sunday morning about our frog catching expedition, I couldn't help but think that being a Grandma is NOT FOR SISSIES! And I would guarantee you that if Bryan was asked the question, "Is your Grandma Rogers a Sissie?" He would answer with a firm loud NO.
Don't you think that being a Christian is not for sissies? That God wants us to not leave His request as a request for long. To simply trust Him and be obedient to what He asks of us?
I was thinking about how being a Grandma has brought much joy to my heart, but it also has brought much joy to my Grandchildren as well. A scripture that confirms this to me is Luke 6:38 from the ESV "give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
Psalm 8:3-5 ESV "When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,what is man that you are mindful of him,and the son of man that you care for him? Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor."
God created me, as well as Bryan and yes those tree frogs. Why? For us to bring Him Glory and Honor and that He cares so much for me that He gave me Grandchildren that are a true delight to my heart. You see, I'm not a Mother in the sense of having birthed my own children, yet I am blessed to be able to mother other's. What a blessing it is to be a Grandmother, and to not be a Sissie.

**Do you have your own story to share with me?**
10 comments:
I loved this analogy although I might draw the line about catching frogs when my granson visits me!!lol but so many times we are sissies as Christians--afraid to speak up for fear.
Being a Christain is not for sissy's!! I love this! I am going to use this with our youth tonight. Thanks!!
In His Graces~Pamela
Hey Yolanda, makes me think of when the bible says, 'the kingdom of heaven suffereth voilence, and the violent take it by force. Doesn't sound like a job for a sissie :)
It's great to hear of your time with your grand-kids.
I don't have any yet, my babies are still very young.
Blessings,
vickie
You are much braver than me! Thanking God for you time in his creation with your grandson. What a treasured memory.
peace~elaine
Aahh you are brave...we have poisonous toads that grace our lawn at night during the rainy season.
We are moving in January to San Diego, and San Diego is no Hawaii. Now, I can say that because I am from San Diego. We feel the timing is right to move back, to honor our families and to honor God. We are making this move specifically for family.
I AM an animal person and, if you can believe it, have always loved frogs (I know, don't hate me), but even I would've been taken aback if they all jumped out at me!
Go Grandma! :o)
Oh, what blessings and legacies you are passing onto your your sweet grandchildren! Nope. Not for Sissies. Very true!
Yolanda,
Thanks so much for visiting me over at The Point and commenting on my speaking opportunity with my pastor. It was such a wonderful evening.
I'm looking forward to doing it again. May God bless you!
Leah
What a tender story and I love the analogy!
You are so right... being a Christian is not for sissies!
God bless your dear heart!
You're a winner. Please email me your snail mail and check the blog for what you've won!
peace~elaine
Post a Comment