Thanksgiving and Christmas were both extra special times in my life this year as we traveled to see both of our children and their families. Two children as different as night and day. One wants absolutely nothing to do with God, NOTHING; and the other, well the other is not opposed to God. At this point, it is more about religion instead of a relationship. But I'm so believing, that given some time, it'll be a deep rich walk! I've been involved in their lives for 20 years come 2009 in a personal way. Sisters, for the first 6 years I was so far from God that it is no wonder that our lives took the turn that they did, our lives meaning theirs as well as mine. I've repented to God and to them that I made some very unhealthy, un-wise choices and while this is no excuse, I certainly did not walk with God at that time. I find myself holding, more like CLINGING to Jeremiah 32:17 TODAY for my step-children and I pray daily for them.
Jeremiah 32:17 NIV "Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you." Why can I pray that for them? Because I have seen in my own personal life, how God truly did a miracle work in me, and if He can do that for me, I KNOW He can do that for them! NOTHING...no thing...is too hard for Him, Sisters, if you are in between a rock and hard place and this scripture is speaking to you right now, then I challenge you to stand on it with me!
Before we go any farther, I must make clear to you that I'm not knocking our precious children one bit, I'm just trying to set the tone for wanting to pass on a legacy. I love these two adult kids like crazy and I love their children like I've been created to to love them....OVER THE TOP! I also believe whole-heartedly that our children are excellent parents, EXCELLENT!
Legacy: is a noun according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary; something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past. Then I did a search of the bible looking at two words: grandchildren and Grandmothers.
Look what I found that is so very precious in the Word of God:
Proverbs 17:6 Message "Old people are distinguished by grandchildren; children take pride in their parents." **I'm not sure that I am classified as old, but I will tell you that my grandchildren are the apple of my eye!**
Psalm 128:5 Message "Enjoy the good life in Jerusalem every day of your life. And enjoy your grandchildren. Peace to Israel!" **Oh, I enjoy our grandchildren like no other!! I totally go bonkers over them and they capture my attention, and how refreshing that God's Word commands to ENJOY THEM! Now that is an easy command for me to obey. **
2 Timothy 1:5 Message "That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith—and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze! God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible."
I can't help but think of this beautiful legacy that is being passed down from myself to our Grandchildren. Especially Abigail as she learns that Jesus loves her and that Jesus loves the little children. She was quick to show me this past weekend a snap-shot of her being in the Christmas story at her pre-school. She said to me, "Grandma there I am, I am Mary." I ask her about baby Jesus and Joseph and her eyes just light up.
I am ever so thankful that God is allowing me a "do-over" and that I can show our little one's Jesus! I failed miserably with my step-children in their "learning" years, but I will not do so with where God has placed me today. I will shout it from the mountain tops, "Our God IS an AWESOME GOD!"
Proverbs 22:6 NIV "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."


Father God, Thank You for giving me a second chance to make a difference in a little one's life. To share with them of Your love, and just how much You have redeemed me. Thank You for pouring Your love into me that I can then turn around and spill it out. It is not meant to be kept, it is meant to be poured lavishly upon others. I pray that You find me doing so....and that I would be passing on a legacy. In Your Son's Name, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Jeremiah 32:17 NIV "Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you." Why can I pray that for them? Because I have seen in my own personal life, how God truly did a miracle work in me, and if He can do that for me, I KNOW He can do that for them! NOTHING...no thing...is too hard for Him, Sisters, if you are in between a rock and hard place and this scripture is speaking to you right now, then I challenge you to stand on it with me!
Before we go any farther, I must make clear to you that I'm not knocking our precious children one bit, I'm just trying to set the tone for wanting to pass on a legacy. I love these two adult kids like crazy and I love their children like I've been created to to love them....OVER THE TOP! I also believe whole-heartedly that our children are excellent parents, EXCELLENT!
Legacy: is a noun according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary; something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past. Then I did a search of the bible looking at two words: grandchildren and Grandmothers.
Look what I found that is so very precious in the Word of God:
Proverbs 17:6 Message "Old people are distinguished by grandchildren; children take pride in their parents." **I'm not sure that I am classified as old, but I will tell you that my grandchildren are the apple of my eye!**
Psalm 128:5 Message "Enjoy the good life in Jerusalem every day of your life. And enjoy your grandchildren. Peace to Israel!" **Oh, I enjoy our grandchildren like no other!! I totally go bonkers over them and they capture my attention, and how refreshing that God's Word commands to ENJOY THEM! Now that is an easy command for me to obey. **
2 Timothy 1:5 Message "That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith—and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze! God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible."
I can't help but think of this beautiful legacy that is being passed down from myself to our Grandchildren. Especially Abigail as she learns that Jesus loves her and that Jesus loves the little children. She was quick to show me this past weekend a snap-shot of her being in the Christmas story at her pre-school. She said to me, "Grandma there I am, I am Mary." I ask her about baby Jesus and Joseph and her eyes just light up.
I am ever so thankful that God is allowing me a "do-over" and that I can show our little one's Jesus! I failed miserably with my step-children in their "learning" years, but I will not do so with where God has placed me today. I will shout it from the mountain tops, "Our God IS an AWESOME GOD!"
Proverbs 22:6 NIV "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Father God, Thank You for giving me a second chance to make a difference in a little one's life. To share with them of Your love, and just how much You have redeemed me. Thank You for pouring Your love into me that I can then turn around and spill it out. It is not meant to be kept, it is meant to be poured lavishly upon others. I pray that You find me doing so....and that I would be passing on a legacy. In Your Son's Name, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Are you leaving a legacy? If so, care to share?
My bff is, and here is her son in their Christmas pageant:

14 comments:
Yolanda,
My heart reached out to grab yours through this post. God is such a GOOD and wonderful REDEEMER. He loves to give us LOTS of second chances. I believe Him, with you, for the redemption of your family and for a hundred fold return of His overflowing love through you!
Have peace in all that HE is doing and enjoy the blazes out of every minute!
Happy new Year!
Pat
My Pastor spoke on this very topic of passing on a legacy just a couple of weeks ago. One of his points that stood out to me was to learn that the full measure of life is most often based upon it's contribution to the future. He really got me thinking about what I am passing on to my son and what I will be leaving behind.
My heart was encouraged tonight as you reminded me that NOTHING is too hard for God. Tomorrow I return to the hospital for further tests because of something that appeared in a routine exam before Christmas. Trusting the Lord and believing Him that all things work together for good.
Happy New Year my friend,
Joy
Thank God for his grace and the blessed do-overs...again and again. Just today, my ugly came out, and I was floored at my response to my husband. I quickly repented, but it left a sour taste in my mouth all day. The enemy jumped all over that one and reminded me (yet again) of my worthlessness. God's love for me in unchanging. I know it in my head, but believing it in my heart is a slow understanding some days.
Keep to your shaping of the next generation, Yolanda. You are God's kingdom carrier to those precious hearts and what you're seeding in them now will grow a harvest of unseen proportions.
Thank you for your faithfulness.
peace~elaine
Have I told you lately that you have a beautiful heart? How precious is our God to give us second chances and how wonderful that you are relishing yours and making such a difference!
Believing with you for your kids - perhaps it will be through THEIR kids that they finally come to the Father.
Love to you this day,
Melinda
This is tough when you messed it up with them early on, isn't it? But you are right, anything and everything is possible with God and He can change ther hearts and mind and He can capture their hearts. I am praying this for our children and fututre grandchildren also. PRayer is the most powerful tool we have in this. I will pray for your family friend.
In His Graces~Pamela
Yolanda,
Another great post that makes me look inward to determine if I see what I want God to see in my heart. When I saw the last picture on your post, that was confirmation for me that I am on the right path! I praise Him that He set me on the Way at a young enough age, that Connor can see it first hand. But that's another wonderful thing about our Lord. Even if it's later in life, He can make us clean and whole, and give us a do-over at any age! I pray that I am found, not only by my own child, but by the children I teach, and my husband to have a clean and whole heart, with the desire to love and worship the Lord with everything I have! Continue to pray for me, as I pray for you, that our legacies will be shining for Jesus!
Love,
Amanda
Yolanda, I will join you with the words in Jeremiah 32:17!
I want to ask you to come to my blog and read some of my older posts-- July 24; Aug. 21, 2008. The reason why--we were very much serving God and raising our children in His word and still our then 18yr old daughter left and told us she wanted nothing more to do with us. She is not living for the Lord 'right now'. The lines of communication were beginning again when in June/July they just stopped. I don't know where she is living now or how to call her.
I am not telling this for sympathy just to let you know that you can raise them in God's word and they still must choose to serve Him.
So, yes!, I will join you in praying that scripture!(((HUGS)))
As far as having great joy in your grandkids-- go for it! Just think how Jacob(Israel) felt when he first saw Joseph's sons!
Blessings in the Lord,
Miriam :)
As someone who walked without God I know your heart and I know that feeling as a momma with our children. God reminds me over and over and over just how beautifully patient He is and He is always at work.
Love ya girl.
Keep at it!
Love,
Fran
I join in this prayer with you, Yolanda, as we have some loved ones too who are very far away from accepting God right now. But, oh, yes! Nothing is too hard for HIm! I love your optimism...that must be your strong faith! It gives me strength to believe too!
You blessed me with this post and those precious pictures.
:)Laura
I sent you an email.
Miriam :)
Yolanda,
What beautiful words and what beautiful sentiment. Praise God for those second chances. Keep on praying for those kids and grandkids. Even when our kids don't make the right choices, when they have been raised and grounded in Christ, they WILL return. As a mom who had not one but TWO of her daughters get pregnant at 16, I know heartache. Praise God they both are married and raising their children to be godly little ones. My oldest daughter has been married 6 years now and my youngest 2. They are both such wonderful young woman. But without prayer and without the Lord, who knows what would have happened. Thanks for the great post. You have such a gentle spirit and beautiful heart!
In Him, Beth
Yolanda,
In another blog post I read the other day, the question was asked "If you could choose a word...one word for the year what would you choose?" The person posting said her word was forgiveness.
It only took me a few seconds to know my word. I chose the word "Believe."
I know full well that God can do anything and that nothing is too hard for Him, but do I really believe He'll do "for me?" Yes, the answer is "yes!" He will and I need to choose to believe Him. I love the verse you mentioned in Jer. 32:17. Thank you for this post. I'm praying and believing for your children. They see the joy in your life and I'm sure can't help but notice the difference in you. Praise God for that.
God bless you abundantly in 2009!
Love,
Valerie
P.S. What adorable grandchildren you have!!!
Post a Comment