Saturday, January 31, 2009

Addicted to Love

In my Thursday night bible study group this week I was hit afresh with what God has been doing in my life for a two full years now. Probably if I'll get truthful, ever since I gave my heart to Him. Humor me with the thought that it's been 2 years, for 1/12/2007 was our very first writing of Higher Grounds. He and I, what an amazing journey God has worked through me by sharing my very own life experiences in a teaching format for HIS HONOR AND GLORY.

A scripture that holds true for me today, especially in this particular writing is one a friend, Pam, is currently memorizing: Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Eph 5:15-17

The statement that spoke volumes and confirmed to me that I was on the right path with Higher Grounds was "one of the most important parts of fulfilling our destiny involves transparency". This is not verbatim, but it's close, and the words were spoken from Beth Moore.

I looked in the Merriam Webster's Thesaurus, destiny, here is what I came up with: fate, portion, goal, objective.

Same thing for transparent as transparency is a derivative of this word: clear, lucid, opaque.

While there are times that it is extremely difficult to be so vulnerable because of opening one self up for a possible hurt, I still do this because of what God places on my heart to share, to teach and to encourage.

In my own words what Beth's statement to me is this: One of the most ways I can honor God is to be objective, goal oriented to point others to His vision is by being clear and opaque. YOLANDA, DO NOT BE A FAKE!

People are hungry to be around real people. A song that has been playing in my mind for the past two days is, Addicted to love. I'm getting real with you, transparent, vulnerable. This has been running in my mind due to being asked of a song or smell that reminded me of my teenage years, and perhaps my first dance. Not sure that this song was from my very first dance, but it was part of many school dances. I was so ADDICTED TO LOVE, that I looked for love in ALL the wrong places. I would love to have a do-over. I'm telling you that I was dumb, dumb, double dumb in the span of about 14 years.

I was sharing this over breakfast with my Man this morning with tears in my eyes and he said, "Oh but that is what made you who you are today." I'm thankful that I didn't stay in that pit, a pit I was thrown into and a pit that I dug for myself. Both thoughts hold true for being addicted to love. THE WRONG LOVE! You and I have a choice, we can choose to stay in that mess, or we can choose to be LION chasers and overcome our past. Luke 7:47 speaks volumes of my heart, truly it does, and confirms to me that what Bill spoke was absolute truth. "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

Today, I'm addicted to......Jesus' love.

Father, thank You for the blessed gift of redemption, victory in Jesus. Our past doesn't have to be an obstacle for our future. It can be a beautiful opening for others to walk through the doors of healing by being transparent. Telling of our own steps, whether itty bitty or leaps and bounds, from our past to the current. MAKING THE MOST OF EVERY OPPORTUNITY. Bondage no longer a burden but freedom a reality. All having come to fruition because of the goodness of Christ. Thank You Father, for being real. In the saving name of Jesus. Amen.

11 comments:

Heather C said...

Amen! The cry of my heart is for authenticity... from others, yes, but mostly from myself. Excellent post, Yolanda.

Laura said...

I don't think you could ever be a fake, even if you tried, Yolanda! You are beautiful, and you have a very wise man. God uses it all!

Making the most of every opportunity,
Laura

Runner Mom said...

Oh, Yolanda, this was wonderful...so genuine! Thank you for sharing this with us. I agree with Laura--you are a beautiful sister in Christ!
Love ya,
Susan

Leah Adams said...

I want so very much to be addicted to nothing but Jesus!! Thank you for your honesty and tranparency.

Leah

Beth Herring said...

Yolanda,

You hit it again girl! As usual. I loved every word of this post. I recall something I heard Beth Moore say in one of her listening tapes I have. She said, "Fruit that only surfaces in public isn't real, its plastic." This has stuck with me ever since then. We have to be real. Real in public, real in church, real at home.

Have a great weekend,
Beth

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Yolanda,
I so appreciate the fact that you have let the Lord use your past to be an instrument in your witness to others. You have been such an encouragement to me in the few months since I found your blog!

I pray God will continue to bless and use you greatly!

Marilyn

Vickie said...

Yolanda you are an inspiration and an encouragement. You encourage me to come up higher in God everytime I read your blog.

Thank you for your honesty.

Vickie

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

You are so real and so beautiful friend. What a healthy addiction you now have!! What a wonderful influence yu have on all of us.

Love you!

In His Graces~Pamela

Terri Tiffany said...

Yolanda--you are so real and a blessing to me for being that way! Stay that way and God will keep using you in a mighty way as He is now!

Anonymous said...

Yolanda you are so right. I definitely have reached a place in my life where I want and will be real. And, I seek out close relationships with others who are real. How sad it is that so many of us (myself at the top of the list) spend so much of the early part of our lives being what we think we must to fit in or try to be who we think others would like. Oh that instead we could live to impress only one ~ our Lord Jesus Christ. That we would worry that every thought we allow to enter our mind, every word from our mouth, and everything our hand touched would glorify Him. I'm trying right along with you Friend. And, I now realized it's simply a choice. I've got to wake up each day and make the right one. Thank you for the encouraging words today!

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

Truly Girlfriend...that is my story as well. When I was reading the part about transparent, lucid, clear....the thought it entered my mind.

If we aren't clear, transparent, lucid...then the people around us can't see GOD and HIS redemptive work in our lives. Praying to be transparent means they see Jesus...not me...but HIM.

I think we should have a ministry...the Women Who Wash HIS Feet With Their Tears...I'm on board! :-)

Love you,
Teri