Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Learning from Miss Daisy

This morning it is -3 without the wind-chill, mighty cold for Southwest Kansas in early December! The snow had fallen through out the day yesterday and into the night and this morning I saw something with fresh eyes. I saw something amazing about Daisy, our basset hound, as the sun glistens beautifully on the fresh snow. Do you see it as well?

In the midst of the snow fall, in the midst of the cold and bitter day and night, in the midst of the heat of the summer, in the midst of the rain and wind...she walks the same narrow path. No matter what storm is raging around her, she is on the same narrow path. She has this whole back yard to herself to walk any where, and she stays on the same path! (I wasn't able to find out why dogs do this, but I find it amazing!)


God desires that for you and I as well Girlfriends and Guy friends. To be on the straight and narrow path, not the wide path. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." I added emphasis.


I quickly took a look at this from the Message "Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention."


Father, may You find each of us today not taking the shortcut but investing in the way to life, YOU. To keep to the narrow path, narrow road, the road that leads to life no matter what the storm is raging around us and with-in us. You, Father, are our road map, may we be found living by it giving it our total attention. You continue to amaze me Lord and I thank You for teaching me Your truths in such simple ways. In Christ's Name, Amen.


Lovingly at Higher Grounds,

Yolanda

17 comments:

Faye said...

Yolanda, This is beautiful. Stay warm and have a great day! Blessings

TRUTH SHARER said...

Beautiful post to remind us of the narrow path we trod as well as no shortcuts to God's presence. Wow!

Psalm 73 comes to mind...
25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And earth has nothing I desire besides You.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.

It is good to be near God on that narrow path that leads to His presence - both here on earth - and in heaven one day!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

PS: I knew you had snow - even before I came on the site today! Oh - I am jealous for you having this white pure powder around your home!

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

What a beautiful post to go along with this picture. I love when God provides that kind of inspiration and gives us a great blog to write. I love this one and would agree that by staying on the narrow path, it makes each visit into the yard much easier to take.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Brrrr! Wintertime has arrived just in time for Christmas, huh?? We don't have snow but we do have some very cold air and high winds.

Love the illustration of Daisy and the narrow path! A good lesson for us all.

Love you,
Marilyn

Edie said...

I'm walking the narrow path with you. I have a necklace in the shape of cross but with the look of a road and it says Narrow Minded. I love it!

Merry Christmas to you sweet friend!

Sandy said...

Hi Yolanda,
Thank you for your comments to me. My first thoughts after reading this post were "beautiful post". I see others thought the same thing! Yes, I read your post about Deeper Still, too. Both of your blogs are great! Hope to meet you next month.

Meli n Pat said...

What a neat illustration. Thank you for sharing that. I think you have been colder than us up here, even! Stay warm!

Leaon Mary said...

What a beautiful snowfall!
Miiiiinus tttttthreeeeee dddddegrrreeee's? MmmmmY teeeth arrre chatttteringggg just thinnnkin off that!
I love how God shows you His truths through your every day making it extraordinary.
THANKS FOR SHARING YOLANDA!
I want no part of that wide gate...
Holykisses my friend.
Now let that little Daisy in the house would ya?! Brrrrr... she's probly freeezing those long ears off! lol

Beth Herring said...

Great word here today my friend! I just love your heart and I just love your words and I just love you!!

Stay warm my friend. I need you to stay healthy for our January Houston meeting!!!

Tracy said...

Awesome lesson my friend from one of my favorite passages! I always marvel at the lessons we can learn from animals...amazing.

Stay warm, lady! I have to tell you our frigid low of 19 this morning sounds like a heatwave compared to -3. No more complaining out of me! ; )

Love ya,
Tracy

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, the first thing I saw was the letter "A"--her own snow angel, but then followed her straight path; I've often said the quickest way to God is a straight path from our hearts to his. Detours in other directions simply delay our arrival.

Sorry for the chill, but glad for God's revelatory word that continues to come to you, Yolanda, because of your faithfulness to come to him.

Blessings and peace to you this day~elaine

Leah Adams said...

Satan sure tries to make that wide path and gate look inviting and very deceiving. I am sooo thankful for the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit to help us discern that narrow path.

Take care, my friend,

Leah

Miranda Riley said...

What a word!!!!! That is so wonderful!!! What a sweet doggie you have, and I love how the Lord used her to deliver a message. WONDERFUL!

I love you!!

Runner Mom said...

Wow! This was a great visual! That narrow path is the ONLY way!

Y'all please try to stay warm! Mercy!! -3!! I cannot even imagine!

Loved your post on the Deeper Still conference!

Hugs!
Susan

Crown of Beauty said...

I love the way Eugene Peterson translates it. DOn't look for shortcuts.

Stay on track, the narrow road.

It IS amazing how dogs stay on track, and do not swerve to the right or to the left.

Thanks for sharing this lovely picture!

Love
Lidj

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

SWEET! A message seen in the steps of your dog...that is so God-sent!! very encouragening my friend!

However....the snow can GO!! Hate it! One snow fall and I am good for a year.

Have a blessed CHRISTmas my friend!

Love you! Pamela

LisaShaw said...

Sister, I always enjoy my visit with you. Thank you for sharing and I so look forward to more of what GOD would bring to us through you in 2010.

You are a jewel dear friend. Love you and Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family and blessed New Year!