Monday, December 21, 2009

Sobering and Exhilarating

On December 25th, many of you will be joining my husband and I in the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. While we truly don't know the exact day of His glorious birth, we still come together thanking God for this awesome gift, the gift of a Savior that was promised in Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." Immanuel, God with us.



Like many of you, Isaiah 9:6 is a treasure to be hold!!! "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."



I am hungry to learn the names of God this year, to really focus in and soak up ABSOLUTE TRUTHS.



There is so much joy this season and I'm so very grateful. Why? Because with LIFE comes death, and death gave me LIFE! Now isn't that a sobering thought? Especially with this week being focused on such a joyful time in our hearts? Not only is it sobering, but for those of us that have accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, it is exhilarating. A sweet nugget that I came across this morning from Romans 5:6-8, "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.....But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I've only touched on certain parts of this passage and I encourage you to please read for yourself out of your own bible Romans 5:6-8.



God sent His son Jesus Christ, born in human flesh, as well as allowing Him to die on the cross, KNOWING that I would make poor choices, some HUGE in human standards, but God demonstrated His love for me through the birth of His Son and the death of His Son. At just the right time, that is providence, that is grace and mercy, that is LOVE.



Father, I come before You, with a truly humbled heart. I pray that my life and the avenue You have spoken to my heart to share my walk with others, will draw them to You. That they would allow You to demonstrate that very same love to them. Thank You for Immanuel, thank You for the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. Amen and Amen!



With much love and wishing each one of you a very Merry Christmas from here at Higher Grounds,

Yolanda

***Update, I will be hosting a study on "Lord, I want to know you" by Kay Arthur on Monday mornings beginning January 4th over at "Joy Comes In The Morning.** Please know that I've never done anything like this as the facilitator IN blog land. But a few have mentioned that they have this book and I thought it would be a great thing to do together. Simply report in and share the insight you have been given from reading the chapter. May the Lord God get all the glory from our participation. ***

17 comments:

Laura said...

Merry Christmas, Yo!
I received your lovely e-message and just want to say thank you, you have been one of my gifts this year.

love you, lady.
laura

Yolanda said...

CHARLES H. SPURGEON QUOTATION

"Whenever you think about your own conversion, regard it as a miracle, and always say within yourself, 'It is a wonder of grace.'"

Beth Herring said...

What a great Christmas wish for all of us from you!

I pray that God is so present in your life this year that you are just blown away by His presence!

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Yolanda, have you read {or done} Kay Arthur's study on the names of the Lord called, Lord, I Want To Know You." It changed my life, changed my walk!
Wylie

Edie said...

Have a most blessed Christmas Yolanda! I love that picture of you!

I have been planning to learn and study the Names of God too. I bought a book called Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler to help me get started. Maybe we should coordinate our efforts. :)

Andrea said...

Merry Christmas and GOD BLESS! You are a blessings to me..Thank YOU!!

Leaon Mary said...

I'll be celebrating with you Yolanda! My love to you and your family! ~And I'd love to learn all the names of God with you this year!
Merry Christmas my friend!

Leaon Mary said...

I have the Kay Arthur study on that, and Ann Spanglers IMMANUEL book!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Merry Christmas Yolanda! Love the picture of you by the tree!

God bless you!

Marilyn

Leah Adams said...

Yolanda,

I am with Wylie. I loved the Kay Arthur study, "Lord I Want to Know You". I am so thankful that at just the right time Jesus came and He came for someone like me!! Hallelujah!!

Have a Merry Christmas.

Leah

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Yolanda, I am so excited that you ordered the Lord, I Want To Know You book! You are going to be SO blessed!!! I blogged on how this study changes lives at this link if you get a chance...
http://shoutajoyfulnoise.blogspot.com/2009/09/from-glory-to-glory.html
Have a blessed day!
Wylie

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Ok, maybe the link doesn't work here, but it is in my archives from the month of September & the post was called "From Glory to Glory"

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

shoutajoyfulnoise@comcast.net
I did a day of the Ruth study with Kelly Minter @ the Lifeway National Women's Conference in November. It was so annointed. I saw her at the same conference last year & was blessed by that too. I know you have been blessed by her study of Ruth!
Wylie

Kristen said...

Celebrating the birth of our Savior with you!!!
Love your dear heart!
K

Terri Tiffany said...

I wanted to tell you Merry Christmas and thank you for your devotion this past year to your blog and God's word!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Beautiful tree, beautiful woman. May the peace of Christ continue its witness in your own heart in the next 24 hours and in the season to come.

Merry Christmas.

~elaine

Nancy said...

Yes, I love that scripture so much, Isaish 9:6. It reverberates with joy and peace.