Sunday, January 31, 2010

But you must rule over it

Please take a few moments and read Genesis chapter 4 because this will lay the foundation for where my heart is going this morning. THANK YOU!

Perhaps you will be like me because at first I began to ponder how often do you and I give an offering that is along the lines of Cain instead of Abel? Our offering coming from the normal that we have instead of from off the top? OUR BEST?

Honestly, that isn't what began to gnaw on me, instead what really hit my heart hard today was when Cain turned away in finality from God. He had grown so cold and callous and allowed sin to win him over. The LORD had spoken to Cain in vs 7 and I will emphasize part of this verse now: "sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it." Sin desires to rule us, God, Himself told Cain and He is telling you and I that sin truly desires to have us. God doesn't stop there, He goes on to tell Cain as well as you and I that we MUST rule over sin. That tells me that God has given me the power to over rule the sin that comes knocking at my door, that I have a choice to either bend the knee to sin, or to SPIT IN IT'S FACE and tell it to get OUT OF HERE!

When I have stood upon that kind of power over sin, I'm telling you Sisters and Brothers, that I am exuberant! JOY unspeakable bubbles inside of me and I then bend my knee to my Lord and Savior and thank Him for showing me the better way to go. The Gospel then begins to be lived out in me because what I've read and come to believe takes root and changes me. I don't change me, God's Word changes me.

Verse 16 shows us where Cain turned away from God. "Then Cain went away from the presence of the LORD and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden".

Some time later Adam & Eve had a third son, Seth. Seth had a son named Enosh and here came the blessing because of this nation returning to God in the closing verse of Chapter 4: "At that time people began to call upon the name of the LORD."

Father, I come away this morning knowing that I hunger more than ever to be in Your presence. That You have placed the power and strength with-in me to say no to sin and turn my back on evil. May You find me today and the next day and the next day calling upon the name of the LORD. For the LORD is all that I need, You are my El Shaddai, my All Sufficient One. In Christ Alone, amen.

Lovingly at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

**all scripture came from the English Standard Version**

11 comments:

Lisa said...

What a GREAT word form the Lord Yolanda!
Love & Blessings ~ Lisa

Andrea said...

Awesome post, today. I am blessed to have come by here. Thank you for speaking GODS word to my heart, today.
Hugs, andrea

Patty said...

Great word today!!
Love,
Patty

TRUTH SHARER said...

Great Word today, Yolanda!

I echo these words that you wrote especially:
"I then bend my knee to my Lord and Savior and thank Him for showing me the better way to go. "

Ah yes - the better way. God never leaves us in the lurches of the enemy. The closer we draw to the LORD - the closer He draws to us and we are able to resist the enemy who desires to devour our very souls [see James 4:7-8]. I've been at that door several times - and chosen the WRONG way - the way I knew was against a Holy God. But thanks be to God - He rescued me from MYSELF - and redeemed my life from the very pit I myself had jumped into! God is always in the business of redeeming and restoring lives - all for His glory and praise!

Thanks for your kind words on my 40th with Jesus!

Hugs, Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Amen Yolanda!! Great post! God took me this weekend to Psalm 52 and I posted on the "olive Tree". I love how God brings something new to something we have read so many times.

Blessing to you friend!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Yolanda... Please stop by to pick up an award from me!
Wylie

Terri Tiffany said...

I always come away refreshed from here and always love your enthusiasm!

Crown of Beauty said...

thanks for sharing this, it is all so true. If we want to move on in our spiritual journey, we just have to make some hard choices. Not tolerating sin in our lives is one such choice. You have spoken about it so clearly in today's post.

Love
Lidj

Edie said...

What a great word Yolanda. Do you find yourself referring more to God by His Names since we started doing this study? I do and it is so sweet! :)

Much love!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Not long ago, I did some writing on Abel's sacrifice... how his faith was exemplified in a "first things first" kind of attitude of heart. Cain, on the other hand, seemed to bring his "good enough"... a sacrifice not in keeping with our reverent fear of God. Indeed, when allowed, sin will come in and take over. We must keep vigilant in regards to the profane and sacred.

We are the sacred ground of God. I want to live in that truth always.

Have a blessed day, friend. Loved seeing your pictures of your time with Beth!

peace~elaine

Vickie said...

Thank God that because of Jesus, sin shall no longer have dominion over me.

Thank you Jesus.

Wonderful post Yolanda.

blessings,
Vickie