Have you ever taken the time to evaluate what happens when we become tired, weary, exhausted? I know for myself that I can become testy, that I let my guard and my self-control down, and I'm much less apt to wait on whatever it is that I want. Whether it be an actual item, or a response don't we want it now and I do mean NOW! We bark orders instead of asking for help. We snap and the words that flow as well as our actions turn into sin. We make many poor decisions and more often than not, those decisions are what we later begin to regret and even despise. We find ourselves turning bitter at the very one we see in the mirror.
If you've walked with God for any length of time then you know the story of Esau and Jacob. Brothers, twin brothers that in our way of thinking link tighter together than any friend ever could. Grab your bible and look at what God gives you and I with-in the first pages of scripture at Genesis 25:29-34. Remember that Jacob was born after Esau and came from the womb grabbing at Esau's heal. Footnotes reveal that this translates that Jacob "cheats".
Did you notice what the very first word from this passage reads ONCE. Isn't that all it takes to sin, to snap, to make a poor decision, to not be willing to wait, to despise? All due to EXHAUSTION we can live in regret which is the last word in this opening sentence as well.
Esau commands Jacob for a bowl of his stew that he has cooking. This speaks volumes to me as well because the older sibling often "commands" instead of asks. I know, I've been there, and I have regretted having done so but praise the Lord, I have also repented of that sin. Looking back upon my choice, I have been saddened because of my self-righteousness and indignation. Perhaps you've been there as well with a family member, a friend, perhaps even a stranger. The clerk at the store? Another driver in traffic? Where the blame really lands in our own lap due to exhaustion. The younger brother, Jacob retorts with a price, a high price. Esau's birthright and often times siblings do this as well, they expect something in exchange. Jacob certainly did not show forth good and right heart. The moment that Esau's eyes landed on the stew, lust was evident. This lust cost him what Jacob did not own, nor could he buy, the birthright. (I honestly can not see where Jacob cheated him of this, but I certainly do see how he was wrong in not sharing what he had with Esau. Perhaps one of you can share with me?)
Did you see in verse 32 where Esau makes a very rash statement? "I am about to die." Yeah, right, die? Not at all, but weariness does that to us, fatigue is an enemy of our souls. You and I must have our guard up at all times and truly take that rest when needed. Pulling all nighters is not good, working 7 full days a week, etc. God commands rest and for a very good reason. Beware Girlfriends and Guy friends of busyness. Being so on the go that we do not take the time to refuel our bodies. Rest is vital and I truly believe KEY in fighting irrational thinking and decision making. This passage of scripture proves this to us!!
God tells us in closing that Esau despised his birthright. The very thing that he was willing to give in exchange for the lust of his flesh he despised. It will happen to us every single time! The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. No matter what that "grass" is, you will come to despise it. BE CAREFUL!
Father, I pray that those things that we've come to despise due to making poor decisions especially on the terms of exhaustion, will be restored. You are in the restoration business, making us new. That the former things shall not be remembered. (Isaiah 65:12b). We have a new heart and a new spirit. (Ezekiel 36:26). That we would rest in YOU! (Mat 11:28-30). That we would lie down at night receiving adequate rest to face a new day. That we would seek You continually not only for help, guidance and direction, but also praising You for having done so. In the sweet name of Jesus, Amen.
Lovingly seeking rest as well here at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Praising GOD for HIS healing and restoring power....oh, how I thank HIM!!
Hugs, andrea
What a great reminder; great wisdom! Isn't it often the case: we want what we don't/can't have, and pay so little attention to what we do have?
Blessings,
Kathleen
Yolanda,
This is a great reminder of why we should be finding rest and refreshment in God's word. Great post!
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
I am, in some ways, a good rest-er, but in other ways not. I get 7-8 hours of sleep each night...GOOD!! I do not take time very often to just slow down and spend time doing something relaxing like reading---BAD. Need to learn to do both. Rest and relax.
Leah
This was such great teaching today Yolanda! And something I needed to hear! I feel like I stay so stressed that I can't relax and I'm sure that's one reason I stay so tired!
God uses you constantly to bless me!
Love you,
Marilyn...in Mississippi
AWESOME!
I am a huge proponent of rest, but yes... there are times that it doesn't happen for me either. I too become irritable etc.
Thank you for your refreshing insights and reminder! You are a dear!
Much love,
K
We talked about resting this morning at breakfast! Spring Break is coming soon, and child #1 wants to only visit colleges during this time. Uh, nope! It's a time of rest for our entire family. Learning to say no to others and yes to God....working on that!!
Hugs!
Susan
Good word, Yolanda. And I love your header photo!
Smiles ~ Rachel
You make a very good point about exhaustion here, Yolanda. ANd how you connected it to Esau's selling and despising of his birthright...I have never seen that until now.
Thank you for sharing your insights.
I was blessed by reading this post today.
Love
Lidj
Yolanda,
Thank you so much for this post and your always encouraging comments to me!
we want what we don't/can't have, and pay so little attention to what we do have?
rihanna video
Post a Comment