Saturday, May 24, 2008

Stretching

Matthew 14:29-31 **Starts with Jesus speaking..... "Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

Girlfriends, this may step on some of your toes, or better yet a BOOST OF CONFIDENCE and confirmation that some of you may be searching for. I see the above scripture as Jesus STRETCHING Peter.

There comes a time, IF WE DESIRE TO BE USED BY GOD, that we honestly have to allow ourselves to become vulnerable & stretched. If we are holding close to our chest/hearts where we have been & come from, how in the world are we showing the victory we have in Christ? I'm not talking about telling every dirty little detail. I am talking about allowing the mess that we were to be turned into a our very own message of Redemption. Showing "our" world that God still does perform miracles, no matter how large or small, giving Him honor and glory that He alone deserves.

I honestly pray and believe that Higher Grounds reflects 1 Peter 3:15 "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

Can I tell you something, from my own path of being stretched way out of my comfort zone to share my past and my current by writing that I have found FREEDOM! This is truly allowing my head to hit the pillow at night with a clear conscience, to receive the rest that He intends for us to have in the night hours. I do have to be honest here, and share that there are times that I am holding on to a situation and rest isn't as easy. I also strongly believe that at night God gets our attention because we finally have slowed down enough and quiet enough that we can HEAR Him.

Proverbs 3:23-24 "Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

I also heard a sermon once that impacted me for understanding being a broken vessel. Think of it as a pond filled with water, what happens? It becomes stagnant, STINKY. Full of itself. Now think of a river flowing with water, what happens? It is constantly being filled & poured out. A river is fresh, generally smells decent and it can't be full of itself, because it is always changing.

That is what happens when you and I choose to be a useable broken vessel. Our lives are ever changing, moving, becoming fresh, filled with His LIVING Water and pouring out for others.

I had a neat conversation with my hair dresser Wednesday evening, talking about the blessing of the Giving Life poem and my ability to write. I shared that it is a GIFT FROM GOD, and I liken it to the gift that He gives to others. Examples: the ability to play instruments, the ability of having a beautiful voice to sing, a great cook, works well with children, WRITING FOR GOD or simply a listening ear. This happens to bring Father God and Jesus Christ much honor and glory when we do so with joy. Not crumbling or thinking of ourselves, but being the river, a channel to allow Him to flow through us.

My heart with this particular Higher Grounds is to stretch each one of you reading this and to encourage you to pour yourselves out. You know what it is, that God has been prompting you to do for Him. I have permission to share this with you as I received a note this Thursday morning from a precious Sister in Christ, whose husband happens to be a Pastor.

"Good morning Yolanda, Precious Child of God!

I just read two of your devotional's this morning, the one at the shooting range and the one about your granddaughter. Let me tell you girl, the Anointing that is on your writing is outstanding. I always know when Holy Spirit is really wanting me to pay attention to something that I am reading because it becomes so real, He draws you into it like your right there in that moment. Let me tell you, your writing is so powerful and so strong with the Anointing, you feel God speaking to you through your words. Girl don't ever quit writing, what a precious gift God has given to you and I thank you for sharing your gift with the body of Christ. Remember this scripture Psalm 115:14 Yolanda may the Lord give you increase more and more, you and your children."

I share this with you, as it encourages me to continue to be STRETCHED by The Holy Spirit, to continue to be vulnerable with my own down-falls of life on earth, and the ability to BRAG ON GOD, by writing Higher Grounds.

2 Timothy 4:2 "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction."

4 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

Very good word dear friend! I love the verse I haved on the top of my blog...sounds like that is your heart too! :)
Yes, I will pray for your Dad & thanks for praying for my Grandma. She's been so negative & just down right mean lately...hard to be around and since I work in their home, I am around it M-F all day. :) JOY....LOL!
Love you Yolanda!
Lelia

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yolanda:
First, thank you for all of your many wonderful comments on my blog. You've been a fresh wind of encouragement to me in so many ways.

Secondly, my husband preached this morning from Rom. 1:11-17. Now, he put down the word this morning. I mean, I was nearly off the pew with the truth and power behind his words.

In short, he talked about Paul's words...

"I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong--that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith."

How our greatest moments of glory come when we pass along our faith to another...to all people. Not just the ones in our comfort zone.

Not a new message, but the power he spoke with this morning was electric.

I thought about the many ways that God is stretching me to walk in abundance...to get real and honest with him, and then to keep it real with others.

God is redeeming everything from my past and using it for his glory. That's full redemption, and after many years of walking in condemnation, I now know the freedom of living a Calvary's grace.

Thanks for sharing your heart.

peace~elaine

Joyful said...

Yolanda, I spent my lunch hour today with John Ortberg's book,"If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat". Walking on water is definitely refering to being stretched! In the chapter I was pursuing today he asks this question: What are you doing that you could not do apart from the power of God? Is there any challenge in your life right now that is large enough that you have no hope of doing it apart for God's help? He answers that and says, "If not, consider the possibility that you are seriously underchallenged."

God definitely has me going through a time of stretching. Thanks for your encouragement to keep on keeping on with Him. He doesn't stretch us to break us, but to perfect us.

Blessings,
Joy

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Boy, I am being stretched as a mother right now. I will be glad when this process is over...or will it ever be?!?!? I would much prefer to be stretched spiritually right now. I guess it all ties together!

In His Graces~Pamela