
Do you ever find yourself contemplating something you find yourself going through? Asking the Lord perhaps:
1) Why am I still feeling this way?
2) Why hasn't this situation or that situation, changed?
3) Lord, are you changing me, or changing them?
I firmly believe, God is working at changing me in a situation. Why? Because I'm HIS child, and He desires good for me not evil. I want my heart to be open to correction and He will do so because He loves ME! I also believe that this is His desire for others but if their heart is hardened, there isn't room at the moment for Him to work. Deep down, I want others to be changed, but honestly, way deep down...I want Him to change me first.
I once was the wicked lying in wait with a very hardened heart, but I truly praise the Lord that today, I am making more right choices vs wrong choices. Today, I no longer return evil for evil, but offer my other cheek. Today, I am not wicked and lying in wait because Jesus lives on the inside of me. Proverbs 22:5 speaks to me ever so clear...."In the paths of the wicked lie thorns and snares, but he who guards his soul stays far from them."
With making right choices, we are guarding our souls, Girlfriends. By placing oil in our lamps, we are staying off of the beaten path where thorns and snares lie. It simply makes me want to dance!
You have heard many times the scripture of iron sharpens iron? How about Proverbs 22:24-25? "Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared." 1 Cor. 15:33 "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.'" I don't think this is telling us to not be witness', but it is telling us to guard our souls. To hunger for character and integrity and that these types of people will cause us to compromise. That what we are around for any length of time, we will become. If my closest friends are hot-tempered, easily angered, guess what....I find myself becoming more like that. I want to be more like Jesus, don't you? And how do you and I do that?
1) By being in the Word of God, simply filling our lamps with oil.
1) Why am I still feeling this way?
2) Why hasn't this situation or that situation, changed?
3) Lord, are you changing me, or changing them?
I firmly believe, God is working at changing me in a situation. Why? Because I'm HIS child, and He desires good for me not evil. I want my heart to be open to correction and He will do so because He loves ME! I also believe that this is His desire for others but if their heart is hardened, there isn't room at the moment for Him to work. Deep down, I want others to be changed, but honestly, way deep down...I want Him to change me first.
I once was the wicked lying in wait with a very hardened heart, but I truly praise the Lord that today, I am making more right choices vs wrong choices. Today, I no longer return evil for evil, but offer my other cheek. Today, I am not wicked and lying in wait because Jesus lives on the inside of me. Proverbs 22:5 speaks to me ever so clear...."In the paths of the wicked lie thorns and snares, but he who guards his soul stays far from them."
With making right choices, we are guarding our souls, Girlfriends. By placing oil in our lamps, we are staying off of the beaten path where thorns and snares lie. It simply makes me want to dance!
You have heard many times the scripture of iron sharpens iron? How about Proverbs 22:24-25? "Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared." 1 Cor. 15:33 "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.'" I don't think this is telling us to not be witness', but it is telling us to guard our souls. To hunger for character and integrity and that these types of people will cause us to compromise. That what we are around for any length of time, we will become. If my closest friends are hot-tempered, easily angered, guess what....I find myself becoming more like that. I want to be more like Jesus, don't you? And how do you and I do that?
1) By being in the Word of God, simply filling our lamps with oil.
2) By being with like-minded Brothers and Sisters-in-Christ.
3) By choosing to be even tempered, not easily angered, to encourage others, and to love them filled with tons of grace.
I have been doing some reading the past couple of days about women that take the summer "off" from bible study. They shared that they quickly find themselves in a pit. We so need one another, but especially we need the driving force that keeps us in The Word Of God! I didn't say we might, I said we NEED. Why, because there is "junk in our trunk". Now isn't that a unique saying? Believe me, that is not a Yolanda statement, but I do believe, I could rightly take it up! Instead of keeping the junk in my trunk, I'm going to give Christ access and ask Him to create in me a pure and clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit with ME!! (Psalm 51:10).
“Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men.” Luke 2:52 NIV If Jesus grew in wisdom, then why shouldn't you and I be growing in wisdom? With spending time in the presence of Jesus, and others that are doing the same, there is so much joy and hope. Proverbs 24:19-20 "Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of the wicked, for the evil man has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out."
3) By choosing to be even tempered, not easily angered, to encourage others, and to love them filled with tons of grace.
I have been doing some reading the past couple of days about women that take the summer "off" from bible study. They shared that they quickly find themselves in a pit. We so need one another, but especially we need the driving force that keeps us in The Word Of God! I didn't say we might, I said we NEED. Why, because there is "junk in our trunk". Now isn't that a unique saying? Believe me, that is not a Yolanda statement, but I do believe, I could rightly take it up! Instead of keeping the junk in my trunk, I'm going to give Christ access and ask Him to create in me a pure and clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit with ME!! (Psalm 51:10).
“Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men.” Luke 2:52 NIV If Jesus grew in wisdom, then why shouldn't you and I be growing in wisdom? With spending time in the presence of Jesus, and others that are doing the same, there is so much joy and hope. Proverbs 24:19-20 "Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of the wicked, for the evil man has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out."
Remember the hope that you and I have. The hope that comes from Jesus Christ, that we are a witness to those that are a part of our world. Let's not let our lamps be snuffed out, Girlfriends!
3 comments:
How very true. I like your title. That is very important that we remained filled with the oil of Jesus and to not let this world snuff it out!
I agree with what you said. I totally disagree and dislike that Bible studies of any kind dismiss for the summer. At my church, we do community groups (study within a person's home with 10-16 people). We do this in lue of Sunday evening service. Most all of the c-groups don't meet during the summer. However, our ladies group has decided we WILL meet during the summer. Now that you mention it, I reflect on how very sad it is. I know, trust me I know, how much more time it takes during the summer to maintain yards, go to outdoor activities, kids games, etc. However, if we cannot make time for fellowship and most importantly studying God's Word and then the extra stuff, then I think we are once again putting the yard, games, sports, picnics, whatever ABOVE God. I'm so thankful the ladies in my group have decided to continue studying every week.
You hit the mark, we are to associate with unbelievers --just as Jesus did-- but we are not to draw close to them, to place our trust in them as confidants and spending excess time with them UNLESS we see real progress and desire of turning to Christ. When we are with those of an un-Christ-like nature, it's almost like we have to guard our emotions to not like them to much. Know what I mean? It's late and that last paragraph may not sound right. Maybe it's better said that we are to befriend them but not invest our heart into them?
Come see me, I finally posted after seven days.
Great reminder to stay DAILY in God's Word!
The Tuesday morning Ladies Bible study at my church does break for the summer (July and August), as we have about 150-200 women attending each week and there becomes an added dimension of childcare. However, other small groups are available to plug into, so opportunities are still offered.
I was able to order the book you suggested from the Christian bookstore where I work, so HOPEFULLY, I might have it by next weekend.
Have a great weekend!
Love & prayers,
Joy
Yolanda-there seems to be a "thorn in my side" these past few weeks but I have not yet identified it. I am on my knees about this as it seems to be clouding my quiet time, the contentment I have had in my spiritual walk...my light is dim. I a remaining faithful to God, however, working the night shift one weekend resulted in no quiet time for 3 days...It left a void spiritually. Even though the Spirit was alive at this weekends missed my quiet time with God-it impacts my life so much in a negative way, no matter how much "spititual" I am around. We have to have that 1:1 with God, daily, no matter the circumstances. It like not having oxygen to breath.
Beautiful post. I needed this today. Thank you.
In his Graces~Pamela
Post a Comment