Friday, July 25, 2008

Do You Love A Surprise?

Have you ever been around someone that says they don't enjoy spur of the moment outings? That they like life all tied up into a nice little tidy box. Do you know some one, perhaps it is even YOU, that plans everything. Every part of the trip down to the smallest detail? And if not plan it, must know what it entails? How about not just a trip....but your day? CONTROL FREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can say that because I once was one to the nth degree. But today, I am learning to let go and enjoy what comes. I still plan, but there is room for changes. I do find myself at times trying to figure everything out, and then there is no element of surprise. Sheesh, that sure takes the fun out of things. My husband enjoys, in fun, calling me Miss F.B.I. Today, I say that's right...Miss Firm Believer In Christ!



I don't know about you, but I get the biggest kick out of a good surprise! Talk about lifting my spirit and putting a bounce in my step, just give me a surprise. I've been blessed this week, yet I am every week because I have learned to have my eyes, ears and heart ready for God. To be in tune to Him, ANTICIPATING and EXPECTING to be a part of blessings and goodness; GIVING & receiving. A precious friend and I were sharing a day or so ago about LOOKING FOR GOD in all that we do. In this conversation God gave me such a visual, that it is like knowing there is a really good radio station and you just can't seem to find it, you are not in tune at all to receive or you are not quite in tune so you only have static. The best option, what our goal was from the very beginning was being in tune to that station.



Our walk is like that Sisters with our Heavenly Father, our ABBA. His desire is to be the most important part of our day, our week, simply our very existence. He is to be our God, and we are to have no other god's. He is a jealous God and our purpose is to be in tune to Him, bringing GLORY AND HONOR TO HIS NAME.



Back to surprises...you may be thinking to yourself, what is Yolanda talking about? Here are just a few from my week, to BRAG ON GOD.

.a card in the mail
.a spur of the moment call for "girls" tea
.sharing of senior pictures that have been taken this summer
.my husband asking for a surprise, spur of the moment date
.beautiful sunrise this VERY morning
.to witness God working in a young woman's heart towards her husband
.my a/c working with the 100 degree days we have had consistently



God loves to surprise us as well. In all honesty, these surprises are from Him, because others have allowed themselves to be used by God. But God also surprises us through The Holy Scriptures. Has a particular scripture this week, just leapt of the pages of GOD to your heart and mind? If so, would you be willing to share the scriptures with me and others?


For me it was out of Isaiah 46:4

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.



God will sustain me? Me...Yolanda? Warts and all, big mistakes, severely poor choices, a sinner? The one that the world doesn't even want, but God does? WOW.................He PROMISES me that He made me, He will carry me, He will sustain me (twice...twice He promises me this). Sustain from Merriam-Webster says: to give support or relief to; to nourish; to prop up. And then this scripture also promises me that He will RESCUE ME.



Do you need some rescuing? Search Sister's, search for His promises are for each one of us that BELIEVES upon His Name, that He is Lord and Savior, our Redeemer. Now, that is the best blessing of all......the richest surprise, the greatest gift.



Now, tell me, you don't love a surprise!

12 comments:

Paula V said...

I probably would have to lean toward not liking surprises. I mean I guess it all depends. Yes, I like the surprise card in the mail...no, I LOVE that. I love surprise visits at work (NOT at home because I'm usually in pj's or not appropriately made up). I will admit my girlfriend gave me a surprise bridal shower and I did NOT like that. I was unsure of the reason of the need for it to be surprise.

I think I'm in the middle. I've become more flexible and able to endure sporatic changes in plans, etc.

You spoke of a scripture that leaped off the pages of God's Word. I have a post ready to post on my blog and I think this is confirmation that I need to do it now, today. The scripture did not leap off His Word but it leaped off my alarm clock. It was so weird and amazing.

I'll try to proof and post that today.
Love,
Paula

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

God blew me away this morning with this word from Matthew 5:18-

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest lettter, not the least stroke of a pen, will be any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Now, I realize that this won't mean the same thing to you that it means to me, but that is the witness of the Word. It breathes with individual application continually.

Yes, I love surprises. God's are the best.

peace~elaine

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Yolanda,
Thank you for your visit to my blog Yes! I have to admit I love surprises *grin*, but I love surprising others as well. I was laughing at your F.B.I. saying.. lol I need to remember that. I look back and remember how I always had to be in control, Praise the Lord, I gave that part of me to the Lord, Life is too short to always be worrying about everything being perfect, In hawaii we say.. "Hang Loose" means just relax and have fun!!! Yolanda remind me when you come to Maui, I would love to say hello to you I'll give you my number. Aloha Lorie

Unknown said...

Yolanda: You have been tagged my friend. Stop by my blog for details. Love you!

Mari

God Chaser said...

The Scripture that has spoke to me the most htis week was from Psalm 139:1-3 NLT and I also use it for my Sabbath Rest blog
O, Lord you have examine my heart and know everything about me. You know whe I sat down or stand up. You know every thought from a far away. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. God knows every single thing about me and even knowing all about me the good and the bad, bad He still charts my way and tells me where to stop and rest with Him, do His work etc. Yes I love surprises most of the time- but finding these surprise gems in the word how awesome.

Kay Martin said...

The one thing I know about God is that He loves drama and taking my breath away.

Yes we are called to live vibrantly every second with a loose grip on everthing and everyone because in an instant life can change. God will be the one faithful sure thing we can bank on.

Whew!!! Feel the wind. Holy God is surprising His children again.

Love your blog.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Beautifully written friend!! I could use a good surprise!! Why is life so heckie and full? where has this summer gone?
The scripture that I took from my scripture readingthis morning is Deut. 30:6 (NIV) "The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live". In The Message Bible it reads "God, your God, will cut away the thick calluses on your heart and your children's hearts, freeing you to love God, your God, with your whole heart and soul and live, really live".
May we all live callous free!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Kristen said...

What a sweet surprise the Lord gave me when I read your post! Love it!

I am somewhere caught in the middle of being a control freak and also carefree. Good balance... most days! I do believe it depends on my mood! ha ha I might need my days planned and might not always be good w/ spur of the moment things... but I DO LOVE a good surprise.
I love how the Lord delights me and that I can find His surprises in everyday things!

He also blew me away yesterday w/ verses from Romans 8 - I was definitely walking in a dry place for a few weeks... needing water... He gave it to me! Nothing can separate me from the Love of God which is Christ Jesus! I needed to hear that yesterday and He gave it to me!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thanks, Yolanda, for taking the time to comment on Nick's post. I know he will be encouraged and surprised with all the support.

You're the best!

peace~elaien

Runner Mom said...

Oh, I do love surprises! I love the ones from my children-like cleaning up w/o being told!! I love surprises from my husband--like cooking supper and cleaning up the kitchen afterwards!! I especially love surprises from God! I love it when I hear Him in a song or in a friend's comment. I love it when He whispers what the scripture I'm reading really means just for me. And,I love surprises in nature--a new bud just ready to pop open on a rose bush. He is so awesome and full of surprises! He is just so much FUN!!!

Love ya!
Susan

Kelley said...

I do love surprises!! In fact I have given birth to 7 of them! LOL I like to say we "fly by the seat of our pants around here." Actually, I think MY life could use a little more planning sometimes but I like what you have said here, there is definitely a balance and it is sad when we aren't open and available to the blessings God wants to give us. I hope He gives you lots of surprises this week!! :)

Lelia Chealey said...

Your passion for God just jumps through the computer my friend!
The verse that hit me the most so far this week is the one I have at the end of my post about our friends that lost their 13 yr old son last week:

Revelation 2:10
"Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life."

Love you,
Lelia