A quote I came across this week as a sermon snippet speaks volumes along the lines of what God has placed on my heart to encourage us this week: Satan is not just interested in messing up your life. He wants to destroy you. (Author Unknown)
We all, each one of us, are born with a sin-nature. As a Believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, then you know that, you accept that, and you really surrender on a daily basis to not walk in that sin nature. We strive to kill our flesh and poor choices to allow Christ IN us to rise up and cause a right choice to be made.
I was reading in 2 Samuel this week when something really struck me with David's people being told in vs. 5b of 18 "For my sake, deal gently with young Absalom". Absalom was his son that was evil trying to take David's kingdom from him and appoint himself as king. David was aware of this and had him returned to the land while keeping his distance from him. Absalom was still his son, he STILL loved Absalom, and gave instructions for them to deal gently with Absalom.
Joab, Abishai, Ittai as well as all the troops, had been given the order from King David to deal GENTLY with Absalom. Joab confronts and even taunts one of David's men that saw Absalom dangling from a tree with "but YOU didn't kill him?". This very man in verse 12 so made me want to stand up and cheer him on as I read "I wouldn't do it for a thousand pieces of silver, the man replied. We all heard the king say to you and Abishai and Ittai, 'For my sake, please don't harm young Absalom.' And if I had betrayed the king by killing his son-and the king would certainly find out who did it-you yourself would be the first to abandon me."
We do not know who this man is, his name isn't important but his character is! Way to go!!! No amount of money, not even a thousand pieces of silver would warrant going against the king, to betray King David. The next words are so crystal clear, no reason to waver, or wonder what he meant when he spoke to Joab. YOU YOURSELF WOULD BE THE FIRST TO ABANDON ME!
We learn that Joab himself went and killed the king's son, Absalom. What a coward of a man with his own agenda. He sent a messenger, for crying out loud, why didn't Joab go and tell David himself!!! The messenger was sent to tell David of his son's death. Do you see that Joab manipulated the situation? But what I really want is to back up to this man that stayed true to what he knew was the heart of the king.
Sisters, we know by being in the Word of God, by praying, listening to godly preachers and teachers, but especially by being in relationship with Christ Jesus, we know the heart of our King. So the next time you and I are tempted to allow our path to become messy, I ask that we, you and I, to stop and count the cost. Are we really willing to go against the Heart of God? No one ELSE is to blame when we do, but our self. We have the choice to make, what choice will it be? We can die to our sin nature and live for Christ if we will only choose to do so. When we don't choose to do so, remember that the enemy will make it known, he will be the first to abandon us because we fed right into the palm of his hand. Humans that have the nature of a Joab are stumbling blocks, they manipulate and deceive. BUT...we can overcome if we will pass the test. There are consequences, have you or I counted the cost?
Our King is mighty, magnificent, and may His name be proclaimed! May we be found crawling, stumbling, walking or even running towards Him, which-ever it may be, just as long as it is a forward movement towards Him.
Father, I thank You that You know just how we think and the actions or direction we might choose. You know us so well, and I love how You have provided us with ways out woven through out Your word. Continue to teach us, mold us and re-direct our steps to bring glory and honor to YOUR NAME. Amen.
**Using random.org for the 100th post giveaway, #3 is the recipient of a give away. Congratulations Melinda! Send me your U.S. Snail mail address....**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Yolanda,
You bless me. Thank you for the sweet amazing person you are! I love reading your Bible teachings. This story is so heartrending to me. David had such complex relationships. I always take heart in his life...identify so profoundly.
love you, dear one!
I love David! I love the Word. Thanks for being such a willing servant of the Lord and bringing the scriptures to life.
In Him,
Beth
Following hard after God is always worth it. I don't ever want to be found taking the easy or cowardly way out!! Great thoughts!
Leah
Wow! Loved this one, sweet friend. I just left the presence of a godly Bible teacher! She is such a blessing--as are you!! I learn so much from your posts! One of the things that we talked about in Is. 26 was increasing your boundaries. I thought of blogging. I have so increased the boundaries of godly women and teachers in my life! Amazing that technology can be used in such a wonderful way!
Loved your comment on my blog! You are so funny! Have a great day!
Love you!
Susan
Thank you for sharing Yolanda.
I also stand in agreement with your prayer. I was particularly moved by:
"You have provided us with ways out woven through out Your word. Continue to teach us, mold us and re-direct our steps to bring glory and honor to YOUR NAME."
Praise the LORD my sister in Christ.
Wow. What a great post and a lot to ponder. Thank you!
Yolanda thank you for doing such a great job in listening to the heart of God.
You are such an encouragement.
Vickie
You have a gift for bringing the Scriptures to life Yolanda! And you have shown us the truth. We are responsible for obeying what the King has told us to do.
Marilyn
Great post! Oh, that we would, indeed, count the cost.
Am I the Melinda that won?? If so, hurray! I think you have my address, but I'll email it again, just in case. If it's not me, just disregard! :o)
Hugs,
Melinda
This is so great Yolanda. Reminds me of the Beth Moore video I watched today (Wednesdays with Beth) about the Captivity of Activity. The enemy will get us in many ways... why do we want to choose to let him?
This might be out in left field but as I was reading your post today - I had a funny thought come to my head.
Can you believe that there are NOW so many women who know their OT History and even get excited about the strategies of war? No - we still don't like war - but we aren't dumb anymore. Thanks to Beth Moore we know about David, Joab, Absalom, Benaiah, Urriah, Ziba, Mephiibosheth, Ammonites, Hittites, Moahbites, and hundreds of others.
Who knew?... That in this day and age we'd know how and why they won or lost battles and how the LORD gave those battles to them to fight and win.
Just amazes me still. The Old Testament has become a blessing in my life because every book is a picture of Christ - but NOW I know why!
Sorry I got sidetracked off the gentleness of David toward his son - but it's just where the Lord took me! Thanks for sharing...
Looking UPward and Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
Amen! ANother very good post:) You take such care and time to bless us!
Excellent post! Thank you for taking the time to bring the Word in such a beautiful manner. I am always blessed by reading your blog! :)
Thank you for this post.
I love reading about David. I think that was the first Beth Moore Bible study our ladies did. She had me hooked! ;)
I really appreciate your sweet comment on my blog.
Thank you for your prayers and I will be praying for your unspoken request as well.
Love you & praying you have a very blessed weekend!
Valerie
Thanks for stopping by today and letting me know we share the same struggles... I have to war daily against picking up the old me (Pharisee).. Blessings Siesta :)
Kim
Post a Comment