"I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:5-7 NIV
I have used "fan to flame" in my comments several times this week and realized God was speaking to me. After reading this scripture, I was extremely thankful for what I saw with fresh eyes. Timothy charged you and I with......"For this reason, I [Timothy] remind you [Yolanda, insert your own name] to flan into flame the gift of God." I want to stop right there....who did he charge to flan our flame?
Then why do so many of us rely upon and EXPECT our Pastor or our Bible Study Leader or...OK are you ready for another one...or OUR MENTORS to fan to flame our gift of God? The responsibility lies with-in ME, with-in YOU!
Let's look at verse 6 in a different translation and a paraphrase & I'm going to make bold what I want us to see today:
Amplified: 6That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the embers of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the [gracious] gift of God, [the inner fire] that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands [[b]with those of the elders at your ordination].
The Message: 6And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze!
Father, Thank You for being HOLY. Thank You for the hunger that is placed with-in each one of us to love You more, to serve You more, to know You more. Thank You Father, for reminding us that we hold a responsibility with our own walk. It is not up to our Pastor, Friends or Mentors, but that it is between You and I. I love YOU Lord like crazy, for ever and ever. Amen.

12 comments:
Thank you again for reminding us that we all have a part to play in the kingdom of God and no gift is too small to contribute!
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
I also want to fan the flame. We need to be reminded a lot of our part in the body of Christ.
You are awesome my friend!
Beth
"The responsibility lies with-in ME, with-in YOU!" Amen, great word!
Great POST! Yolanda... I love it.
Yes... we are supposed to be stirring up those gifts aren't we... WE ARE!
You stir yours well.
Love you.
Paul so knew what Timothy needed to hear, didn't he? And us as well! I'm so thankful that His Word is faithful from generation to generation, and that it's not set aside for those who are "special" or "gifted" in delivering it... we are ALL called to drink it in and fan the flame. Amen!
This is a great reminder! God bless!
While I've been fanning the flame within me to blaze for the LORD - He is putting me through the FIRE to purify my life!
Seems like they go together - even though the process is very painful!
We've got work to do [in our lives] and so does Jesus! May He accomplish all of His goals and purposes in us!
Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
[Kneeling in Prayer]
Fanning the flame goes right along with the self-discipline mentioned in vs. 7. Consistency is key. He's given us everything we need through His Holy Spirit. We are fully equipped. We must press on.
Blessings - Lisa
It's a reminder we need over and over again. I don't always do my part. Praying today I do.
How truthful...we are the only ones who can keep that flame blazing...It reminds me of an old, old song..."Never Gone Out"...it says..."It's never gone out, it's never gone out, though Satan has tried many times to make me doubt, but when I feel that warmth inside, I know my soul is satisfied, the flame has flickered, but the fire has never gone out."
Tessa
It is my heart's desire to keep that flame stirred up. I want to love Jesus with all my heart until my eyes see Him face to face.
Beautiful post, dear friend.
Leah
Your message is filled with truth Yolanda and I love the beautiful prayer you prayed at the end and I stand in agreement in Jesus Name.
Love ya!
Post a Comment