Monday, January 18, 2010

Desiring to not be found loving the world's ways

As my husband read from our devotion, My Utmost For His Highest, a particular line grabbed my attention this morning. "We are not sent to do battle for God, but to be used by God in His battles." The author is Oswald Chambers who died in 1917. Later his wife compiled his writings to be printed first in England then later in 1935 in the United States.

This speaks to me of the battle being spiritual warfare, between Light and dark, between God and Satan. It is not about me or you. So how are you and I to be used by God in His battles? I believe by wielding the Sword of the Spirit. By following the promptings of the Holy Spirit in our daily lives. As well as by being in constant communication (to be found in dialogue) with God, praying continually.

1 John 2:15-17 MSG: Don't love the world's ways. Don't love the world's goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity.

This was my Promise calendar reading for today as well, and I see such a correlation between what stirred my spirit early this morning and continues to be crossing my path. If we are to used by God in his battles, then we won't hunger and give in to our flesh. We won't be found compromising and allowing a crack in our foundations.

Father, Thank You that Your Word is precious and vital for living in 2010. I pray that I would be found building upon Your foundation that has been established in my life due to an on-going process of sanctification, on the road to Holy and Blameless. That I would let go of myself to not be found setting myself up as important but that I would truly glorify my Lord and Savior. You, and You alone, are the One that is important. Forgive me Father when I have fallen short. What a blessing of the promise this morning that WHOEVER does what God wants is set for eternity. Lord, when we (Believer's) are found doing what You want, there is no room for a crack to later crumble us. Thy word Lord provides the road map to be used in Your battles. Thank You Father. Amen.

With love for my Savior here at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

9 comments:

Yolanda said...

I am actually still chewing on this, but what are some others ways we can be found being used by God?

Loving the unlovely (honestly, from time to time I'm one of them!)

Forgiveness

Having compassion

Placing others before me

Loren said...

Wow, Yolanda! This stepped on my toes in an area of my life right now and I am thankful to have read this...now I am off to repent

Your blog was used for good today....praise HIM :)
Thanks friend!

Beth Herring said...

Powerful post sweet sister! Spoke to my heart deeply.

It's always easy to love the ones who love us isn't it?

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

I love that you pray in this post about sanctification. Amen. There is nothing God can't do with a heart that is consecrated to Him. He is changing us daily, sanctifying us my friend!
Wylie

Lisa Smith said...

Yolanda, this preaches!!! Ties in so well with my post today and all that I'm chewing on. I love it when God does that!! blessings!

Heather Mattern said...

Beautiful and just the encouragement and conviction that I needed to reflect upon this morning!

Anonymous said...

Hey Yolanda! I've missed reading your devotional posts my Friend. And, this is a great one. I join this prayer for myself. Are you heading to the Siesta meet up this weekend? I wish so much I had participated fully in the verses this year.... and was super bummed it isn't going on this year. Have a super night.

Julie said...

So true...If only I would wait to hear what God is telling me to do - instead of me forging forward WITHOUT HIM!

no wonder he compares us to sheep!

Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

LisaShaw said...

Love this message sweet sister.

This is potent: "We are not sent to do battle for God, but to be used by God in His battles."

Love you!