Saturday of this past week was absolutely gorgeous here and we were blessed immensely with our temperatures reaching into the 60's. Not sure what that conjures up for you but for me it caused an itch to get out and turn the soil of my garden. To put my fingers into the sod and to smell the earth, there is something about the ability to do so that I tend to take this for granted. I can't imagine those that live in the large cities surrounded by concrete living in flats or apartments not having this luxury.
Monday we had an appointment to get my laptop serviced so of course that entails a trip to the Super Center. Can you imagine where I found myself? It was like my cart had a radar on it and zip-a-dee-doo-dah I was fast on its heels arriving promptly at the seed aisle. I stood there and searched and looked and picked up and put back. Oh the decisions of just what I wanted in my little small acreage of soil that has not been tilled but will be when the last sign of frost has left.
I wonder how often do we have that type of an itch for God's word? That we have a zip-a-dee-doo-dah in our spirit? That everyone and every thing better look out because here we come!!!??
Our sermon on Sunday touched very briefly on 1 Timothy 5:10NIV but I can't get it out of my mind. Sort of like the itch to plant my garden in the very near future. This scripture is talking about widows but honestly I believe it is speaking to me for my NOW as my NOW affects my future.
...and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the saints, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.
I have a hunger to plant seeds of this sort and to allow the water of God's word to bring this to fruition in my own life. To allow the deep things of God to turn over the soil of my being that needs to come to the LIGHT to then in turn allow a harvest. How does this happen? By being a part of the TRUE VINE, Jesus Christ.
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5 NIV
I so enjoyed my garden all summer long last year. I planted my flowers on the exterior and on the interior was my fruit/vegetables. I think about this in the spiritual realm this morning that if I allow my fruit to grow according to the Holy Spirit then my outside will be beautiful and fragrant due to my insides.
Father, Thank You for speaking Your Truths to my soul. For planting with-in me an itch to know You more as well as to be planted in the things of You. That You water and grow me to bear much fruit. Fruit that is tasty and enjoyable, not bitter and rotten. Father, I know that there is a harvest coming, may You find me pleasing and faithful. In the Name of the Master Gardener, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Happy Planting at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda
25 comments:
I've been eyeing a piece of ground in my new yard for just such a garden...haven't had one since we moved away from Iowa! May it reflect what's happening in the "garden" of my soul.
Hugs this day,
Melinda
Wonderful post!! I have wanted a garden for 2 years now. I haven't had one in quite a few years and I love to plant the seeds and reap the harvest. Nothing like it. :)
I also liked your spiritual application. Perfect!
Much love!
Patty
I like the way you connected the dots; the way you prepared the Higher Ground soil for planting a good word today. How I relate!
It's been 75-79 here in Phoenix, and just this weekend I undertook the washing of windows - inside and out (screens & shutters too). I was immediately reminded of how easy it is to "see" when dirt & grime are removed.
His parables just go on, and on, and on ....
Blessings,
Kathleen
Beautiful post Yolanda.
Blessings,
Vickie
I love your heart Yolanda!!!
Wylie
As Bugs Bunny might say while gnawing on a carrot from your garden,
"I've dewelwopped a 'TWITCH for da TWUUF'!
{{hugs}}
This is great today Yolanda! I love how you put that about having flowers on the outside of your garden and fruit/veggies on the inside....then how it looks pretty on the outside and TASTES good on the inside! What a wonderful word picture of how our Christian lives should be!
Marilyn...in Mississippi
DARLIN,
Yer purples showin again*
;)
A good planting both inwardly and outwardly.
You harbor the right spirit, sister. Keep sowing good seed everywhere you go.
peace~elaine
Yolanda,
Just loving the idea that spring is just around the corner and with it the new possibilities of what is to come!
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
You gave me the fever for some pretty flowers in my garden!
Love this word today my sweet friend.
I love that!Having a zip-a--dee-doo--dah in our spirit! I just read something else that ties in with your post. Are we giving God our time in His Word-are we making it a priority? If so, then we will have that zip-a-dee-doo-dah in our spirit because we can't wait to hear what His Word says next!! Thanks so much for this post!!
Love ya!
Susan
I haven't done any serious gardening in several years now. It seems I just can't keep up with it all anymore.
Great analogy. I am so with you when it comes to planting God's seeds in my own soul and in the hearts of others.
Much love!
Awesome illustration Yolanda! God and gardening are natural companions, aren't they? Rarely do I work on my flowers that I don't think about Him. = ) I'm so glad you had such a beautiful day. Your post makes me long for spring! We have nearly a foot of snow on the ground and more expected! = )
Blessings to you...
Tracy
Always love me some gardening illustrations!
I loved gardening up until the kids arrive! Now they are older I may try again! I felt very close to God in my garden, planting seeds and cutting hedges.
Love Collette xxx
OK, you are just killing me with the thoughts of planting. Did you know when I worked in Wichita, I was a landscape designer? It's not as big here, so I just work in a garden center (which is busy in prep right now but not open to the public). I'm just itching to see the ground, much less plant! Thank you for that lovely reminder of who the Ultimate Gardener is! Have a wonderful day! (can't wait to meet you when you fly up! *hint, *hint!)
Yolanda,
I started back gardening two summers ago. I'm loving it. But, still learning new things every year about gardening in a new place.
Great analogy to planting the Word of God. Much to continually learn! Good encouragement!
This reminds me of Isaiah 61:3:
They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.
I so want to be beautiful on the outside due to what He's planted on the inside.
I found you through my friend Leah. Can't wait to really dig into to your blog.
We are still snowed in and freezing! But spring will come, she always does :)
Itching for some Word...and some spring, Yo.
luv ya,
laura
I'm looking to plant seeds in those around me at my new job! Thank you for being a joy when I stop by. YOu always see something good in things around you:))
Wonderful, wonderful post, Yolanda!
I love your comparison of "itching" to garden with "itching" for deeper depths in Him and His Word!
Great post and happy gardening!!
Jackie
Yolanda... I too love to garden. And the large piles of snow that I see as I gaze out my windows... make me long for spring and "digging in the dirt"!
Keep sowing... your seeds of faith. Thank you for sharing the garden of your heart!
Oh, we have so much in common Yolanda! I love to garden! Your spiritual application here speaks to me sweet sister. I am so glad He gave us the "itch to know" Him.
Love you precious one,
Lora
May it reflect what's happening in the "garden" of my soul.
rihanna video
Post a Comment