Sunday, February 22, 2009

Catalyst and thankful

On Friday morning still down with the bug that is going around I found myself still pondering, "What question I would ask God when I see Him face to face?" In the midst of reflecting I became aware of something I have pondered for a LOOOOOONG time.

But first I want to share something I wrote to a friend of mine that is feeling some pressure of what she shares that a close loved one is not comfortable with the sharing of her past.

Dear ______, I'm thankful for a B that I received in my Jr-Sr English class. At the time I wasn't, I couldn't believe it, the instructor shared with my Mom that I had an A in that class, but she couldn't warrant giving it to me, because it came to easy. She didn't see me applying myself...and that Girlfriend lit a fire in me. You may not tell it today, for my grammar is atrocious, but I still have a desire to pen the words the Lord puts in my heart because HE says, share what is in there, share it Friend. ______, so I do. I've got something brewing in me....I'm thrilling to what the Lord is showing me. Thank you for being a catalyst, unbeknownst to you, for me. Love YOU,Yolanda

These are the exact words I submitted to a wonderful woman God has placed in my path that loves me, knows some of my poor choices and loves me even more in spite of them. Why? Because she understands. And with that I believe God pricked my heart as He was in the process of showing me the answer to one of my questions that I would like to ask Him when the time comes.

I've been thinking about why God doesn't allow us to forget, to truly forget those things I have been forgiven. Like as far as the east is from the west. Catch my drift?

You know what I believe God gave me as an answer just that very morning, early before the sun ever came up over the horizon? Early sipping my coffee, journaling, reading in God's precious Word, praying....He said deep in my spirit: If you forgot it and it **was removed as far as the east is from the west. If you forgot your past then you wouldn't have the compassion and gripping heart for another that is walking that path. You wouldn't even begin to comprehend to not point a finger at another because, Girlfriend, you wouldn't even begin to grasp the reason WHY three fingers are pointing back at you.

WHOA.....WHOA.....WHOA....God You ARE SO GOOD!!!!!

I'm telling you, that for me was an aha moment, and He was right on. Dead center. Had me figured out and all rolled up into the very reason why He does not allow you or I to forget.

I know that my thoughts and encouragement written to a friend was the catalyst behind God and His answer. I looked up the definition of catalyst from Merriam-Webster and here is what I found: an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action

Father God, I pray that those of us that step out of our comfort zones to expose our past because of the healing we ourselves have received, will prove to be a catalyst for hurting women to step into Your presence. To seek You with all of their hearts because if I can have a change, a true U-turn, then they most assuredly can as well. May my Sisters, Brothers and I be found growing GOOD fruit, making better choices, and yes even The Right Choice. Found loving You, loving others and that our lives will draw another to hunger for You and Your ways. Lord, I'm so thankful that You revealed to me just why I am not able to completely forget, may I never forget just what YOU did for me. In the saving name of Jesus. Amen.


**Psalm 103:9-12 NIV
9 He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;

10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;

12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.


Lovingly,
Yolanda Rogers
100TH Post of Higher Grounds, GIVE AWAY -drawing- for a comment that is left on my 100th teaching/writing here at Higher Grounds. THANK YOU!

19 comments:

Lisa said...

May there be hundreds even thousands more posts. You inspire, challenge and encourage me each time our paths cross. May God richly bless you with many more opportunities to share your heart with the hurting.
Blessings - Lisa

Leah Adams said...

God bless you, Yolanda. Even though it is hard to remember, I'm so thankful that He allows us to remember. It is only in the remembering that we can show compassion and comfort to those who are seeking and striving.

Leah

Melinda said...

Bless you friend - again, I think of "our history cannot be amputated from our destiny." And, truly? Thank HEAVEN it can't.

Blessings on you!
Melinda

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I love that paryer at the end because, as you know, I could so relate. You have wrotten my heart friend!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Beth Herring said...

100 posts! Way to go friend! You are always a joy to read - You have a way with the written word. YOu are a blessing.

(I had a blast with Esther tonight! We are moving on to week 3....)

In Him,
Beth

Michelle Bentham Blogspot said...

That is an "A HA" Moment my friend! For me Yolanda - if I have a memory that brings REGRET with it, I ask God if there is something there we have no yet dealt with.

I have made regular specific confession as things about my past have crept into my mind from time to time, but if I recall something frequently - confess it and surrender it - I just ask, "Is there something left that we need to do about this, God?"

He is ever faithful. I now can visit memories of my transgression without the painful recall of the shame and the ugliness of the season. Those memories serve to compel me and keep me humble. They require me to examine myself before speaking into the life of another.

You know... perhaps it is helpful to consider it this way - God is all-knowing, omniscient. He cannot change who He is or what He knows. He always remembers and can have instant recall of any moment he chooses, but God does not dwell on our iniquity and transgressions. He wants them forgiven and covered by His love, and then He wants them to fashion them into a beautiful tapestry for His glory. He does not actually forget what we've done as in what we believe forgetting to be - an absence of memory. Instead, He sets aside the memory and chooses not to remember it anymore. It is an act of His will that sets aside a forgiven sin in favor of His grace and love in our lives.

It is one of the hardest things I have been grappling with these past couple of months for obvious reasons... But, the truth is, I needed to see myself in that light so I could see others in that light and so here we are. I love you. You always spur me on to good thoughts and blessings.

Okay... My Word Verification is "Lumble" a mix between Low and Humble? Who Knows?

M

Joyful said...

Congratulations on your 100th Post!!!

I haven't visited lately, but I adore your new header!!!! PERFECT!!

As I've read this post a song is playing in my head. The lyrics say, "Heal the wound, but leave the scar, a reminder of how merciful You are..." God can surely use our scars.

Blessings to you today,
Love,
Joy

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

I love you so much!! I pray you are better from the bug.

You know what HE spoke in your heart is all HIS truth. Our hearts ache for those like us who don't think they can be accepted or forgiven or GOD forbid as in my case and probably yours..."no GOD won't forgive that one".

We remember, just like the apostle Paul, how he hurt the church and the cause of Christ so he could tell others..."LOOK how HE changed me! This is HIS miracle of grace!"

You know what, Beautiful lady? It keeps us from getting the dreaded disease of pride. It happens to many that have never lived in a pit of sin.

You know what the scriptures say.."GOD opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble"..(I hope that's right you may have to check)

I would rather have GOD'S grace than HIM being in opposition to me any day!

Love you,
Teri

Tracy said...

Wow! Beautifully spoken, Yolanda. Reminds me of that beautiful song by Point of Grace..."Heal the wound, but leave the scar, a reminder of how merciful you are..." You definitely have a gift of encouraging and inspiring others! Thank you for this powerful Word today!

Sending up a prayer that today finds you feeling better. Thank you so much for your kind prayers following my surgery. I'm doing great. = )

Blessings,
Tracy

Terri Tiffany said...

Wonderful! I hope you are feeling better now--I just came down with the stuff myself. Not fun.

Paula V said...

"an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action."

Hmmm...that is a great definition. My first thought was aha...the love of my life walking out on my 20 months ago was a catalyst then...it and God provoked me to significant change in a speedily fashion...or rather a devoted and serious fashion.

That is nothing new but I never thought of it as a catalyst specifically.

Thanks for sharing...I want to be a catalyst for someone quickly coming to Christ.
Love,
Paula

Edie said...

I love this post Yolanda. I know we go through things to help others and grow us but I never made the connection that that's why we don't forget.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You know that I love this for so many reasons. To "pen" my heart in the matter would take too long. Thank you, friend, for sharing the road with me. I'm cheering for you from the bench this week.

peace...always Peace~elaine

LynnSC said...

Oh how I love those AHA moments!! God is gracious and good to us... and part of that is that He allows us to remember the past.

Psalm 103... great verses to go with this post!!
Lynn

Laura said...

God is sooo good! Congrats on your milestone! Pile those stones up...count them one by one. Remember his faithfulness!

Love you,
Laura

TRUTH SHARER said...

You said:
"May my Sisters, Brothers and I be found growing GOOD fruit, making better choices, and yes even The Right Choice."

Loved that!!! And your heart is the pen of a skillful writer!

PSALM 45:1 says:
My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.

Bless you - in all you ARE in Him!

Looking UPward and Choosing JOY,
Stephanie

Runner Mom said...

I hope you have 100's of posts too! I love coming to your blog! Great ah-ha moments! Love those so much!

And, I loved the comment on my lysol post!!! You had me rolling girlfriend!!! Glad neither one of us are in the medical field!!

Love ya,
Susan

Lisa Smith said...

Yolanda,

So...are you reading my mail?!? I have often asked God the same question...it would be so easy if I could forget. But, I would be in that same place pointing my finger again...beautiful encouragement. Thanks!!

Warm blessings today!

Lisa Smith said...

And, I totally forgot to tell you that I adore your blog name!!