Friday, February 20, 2009

What question are you saving for God?

I am thoroughly enjoying a book I bought close to a year ago titled, "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day" by Mark Batterson. We live miles and miles from a Christian Bookstore and so I shop at CBD.com often. This title caught my eye for this was the exact title of a sermon preached in our home church. This is one of those books that you want your hi-liter and time to chew over some things that the author brings out. One that you will pick up more than once in your life time for there is some meat in here to chew on.

Yesterday afternoon something literally jumped off the page and deep into my heart, "We all have questions we've been saving for God, don't we?"

I want to pitch that out there to you as well. What do you think you will ask God when you come face to face with Him for eternity?

For me after just a moment or two of reflecting I thought how strange Lord, something that I've wanted to ask You for a long time really no longer matters to me. I hadn't realized how much He had healed me in an area. There was a time that I so desperately wanted to know why He chose my exact parents to parent me. I come from a highly dysfunctional family with very little love splashed onto me. I remember being in my early 20's and hearing for the first time from my Mom's lips that she loved me. I know that she did, I just didn't hear it much. I saw my friends and how their parents loved them and encouraged them and acted like they even liked them. I became a people pleaser at a very early age and I still struggle with that today. I want to please God more than anyone or anything and so there are times that it comes with a cost.

The crazy thing Sisters and Brothers is that today I'm thankful for my early home life. It allows me to help others that may have come from a similar environment or little one's that may be in that type of an environment today. What a HUGE window of opportunity to **pour myself out from having walked those experiences to help others know that God is good and that He is sovereign.


Genesis 50:20 Message: "Don't you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now—life for many people."

I came across a quote not long ago and I've attached it to my current e-mails for the past couple of weeks but I believe it speaks volumes for where God has me today, and where God may be asking you to go as well. The author is unknown to me, here is the quote: The Christ who gave up His life for what you did will ask what you did for Him.

So not only do I ask you today, What question are you SAVING for God, but also, what are you doing for Him out of pure love and respect?

Father God, I thank You for loving me. I thank You for Your word that confirms what my heart is being stirred to. I thank You for the hurting women and hurting children You bring into my path. That Your love would be splashed onto them from what You, yourself, have poured into me. Father, I ask that You would comfort them, and bring such a healing that their question will no longer be a question but become a healing statement of TRUTH. A vessel that is usable for KINGDOM purposes. Father, continue to give me a heart of compassion that I would embrace and show mercy. Lord, turning evil to good. In the sweet name of Christ Jesus, Amen.



Do you notice that GOOD is prevalent, and evil is overshadowed in this drawing?


**2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."

This is one of the very first scriptures that I ever memorized not knowing how God would use me, but that there lies a promise here...will we believe and accept His comfort to then comfort others as well?

**Philippians 2:16-18 NIV "as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. 17But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. 18So you too should be glad and rejoice with me."



**Philippians 2:14-18 Message "14-16Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I'll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing. 17-18Even if I am executed here and now, I'll rejoice in being an element in the offering of your faith that you make on Christ's altar, a part of your rejoicing. But turnabout's fair play—you must join me in my rejoicing. Whatever you do, don't feel sorry for me."

13 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Beautiful post. Isn't it wonderful how the Lord takes our hurts from our past and turns them into something that He can use? Praise Him!!

The question that I think I want to ask God is "Why did you do it? I so didn't deserve mercy and grace and you knew that long before I was born. Why did you do it?" I know what His answer will be---"Because I love you" I think I will just melt away in worship as He raises my head, looks in my eyes and tells me that.

Leah

Jennifer said...

Awesome post! I have so many questions I could ask God, but I think when I get to meet him I am going to be so Awe struck I won't be able to speak. I will be like WOW!!! We just talked about this in Wednesday Bible Study. The day we all meet God is going to be a beautiful day! Praise God! God is good- All the time! God bless you!

Ally said...

What a great post with lots to think about. I don't honestly know exactly what I would ask but the first thing that jumped to my mind was just "why". I've been made aware of so much pain and hurt that just seems so senseless. While I know there must be a reason for it, all I can think is "why".
Like you though, I've also realized that so many of the times of hurt and struggle in my life have been the ones to have the greatest impact on me and allowed me to be the person I am and develop a sense of empathy.
Thanks for the thought provoking questions!

Lisa said...

Your story and heart mirrors mine in so many ways. I struggled with infertility for 13 years, and yet God has used it to His glory as I share my story and share the pain of others who are walking that road. So the 'why' never crosses my mind any more. I just love Him more because of it.

Blessings - Lisa

Melinda said...

There is a quote in the Esther study that has really hit home for me, and I hear it underlying your words, as well:

"You can't amputate your history from your destiny."

Where you've been is woven all through where God wants you to go; isn't that just the truth?

Love that Good/Evil graphic - love YOU!
Melinda

TRUTH SHARER said...

OK - so when did you [also] pick this book up? - actually God placed it in my hands on Monday.
I have devoured the first two chapters slowly - chewing on all of it. I even e-mailed the author the first day - and he was kind enough to reply. PROFOUND book - everyone should read if you want to live a life of victory and abundance that God promises - by letting God stack the odds against you - in order to bring that victory which gives HIM all the glory!!! I'm sure we will be chewing [licking our LION size paws] when we go after the lions instead of running away in fear of them - like scaredy-cats!

Gotta run....Fruitful day ahead!

Looking UPward and Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
[Time to FLY]

Kebi Cedawna said...

Thankyou for stopping by my blog. It's always refreshing to meet a fellow Believer her online.
I've heard alot on the news about the awful economy in Kansas, hope you and your family are doing well.

Terri Tiffany said...

I love your new picture on the blog header!
Great post--I ask God so much amd sometimes I feel badly that I do but I know He wants to hear everything we care about.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I had a strange conversation with my mother yesterday. I deeply love my mom, and she's a regular reader of my blog. That being said, she doesn't always agree with some of the things I'm writing about; I think she'd rather have the past stay where it is...in the past. She doesn't quite understand the need for digging up the pain, etc. You get the picture.

It's been a difficult road to walk with her, and one that I sometimes feel very isolated in. I so much want the support of both of my parents, but I think the generational gap figures in this somehow. I think, too, that when they hear about my past "pains" it hurts them too and brings up some insecurities about their own parenting.

All this to say, I agree with you...that we have our past, our issues, our healing so as to better help those who are dealing with some of the same stuff.

As for questions I'm saving for God...I've never really thought about that too much. I do have a few, though, when it comes to the abuse of children. This is something I simply can't get my mind around.

peace in your weekend~elaine

Laura said...

Hi, there, Yo!

That is a good question. What would I ask Him? So many things. Why do children have to suffer? or even, what in the world kind of use is the cockroach? From the silly to the profound, I will have a list. Maybe I'll start writing them down...

Love to you, dear friend! I've been, oh, just a little overwhelmed. But trying to get back in the game.

Keeping my eyes on Him!

Leaon Mary said...

I didn't even see the evil Yolanda... but saw the good right away. Hope that's a good sign in more ways than one!
I know what you mean that it seems God uses those things we go through... to help others. I see it over n over. It gives us HEART for what others are going through.
I'm not sure what I will ask God when I see Him face to face. I'll be thinking about that though... I have a feeling I'll be so awestruck... I'll just fall to His feet in adoration.

Leaon Mary said...

wow... I just read thee other posts and someone else wrote almost the same thing

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I have gotten behind in reading post. I am so glad our Father god takes what satan meant for harm and turns it into something good. I am a living breathing example!!

Blessings!

In His Graces~Pamela