Thursday, April 30, 2009

Doing some house cleaning

I'm not sure where I read this but I know that it impacted my thoughts and caused me to step into action. If there is something in your home that you have not used in 30 days, perhaps its time to depart with it. The past 30 days we have been doing major cleaning out and it feels good!

Do you ever find yourself being filled from God's Word and then desiring to turn around and share with another what you have learned? I certainly do and I think of that as a house cleaning as well. Not in the fact that I don't need it, but in the fact of sharing what I have. Here is a quote from "Sermon Snippet" that I really enjoyed: "How do you develop an all-consuming love for Jesus? Respond by pouring your life out in honor of Him"

Philippians 2:16-18 NIV "as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me."

2 Timothy 4:5-7 NIV "But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

I believe the charge for us, as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, found in 2 Timothy is what all of us hope and dream of, that God in the end will have found us faithful and obedient. Finishing strong in Him. Today, my Man and I are doing some house cleaning in our lives. Something that he has desired for the past 15 years, and for myself perhaps the past 12-24 months. We believe God has a plan and a purpose for us. (Jeremiah 29:11) That He is opening doors for us to enter into a new season. (Ecclesiastes 3:1) After much prayer and feeling God is saying the time is now, we are retiring and closing our business doors after 63 years of operation this very day. SIXTY THREE years ago TODAY, my husband's parents started this business that was then purchased by Bill in the mid-70's.

That's almost 40 years of being at work by 5:30 a.m. and leaving at 6:00 p.m. by man. Long days with running equipment, meeting employee's needs, doing everything possible to ensure safety, and provide the best job possible with-in our means. Then there came a day that we turned our business over to God and said You Lord give and You Lord take, and we have because You give. Thank You Lord.


On May 4th, I will have worked in our business for 22 years. Twenty-two years of 7:15 a.m. at the office until 4:00 p.m., twenty-two years of routine, demands, obligations and deadlines. Oh, I wonder what tomorrow will be like? Will we arise tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. as we've done for the fifteen years of our marriage, or will our natural alarm clocks be shut off to enjoy an extra hour of rest? Only God knows, and that brings a smile to my face. Not the Shadow, but God! (WINK!)


I would think it is safe to say that there isn't a one of us that intends on working in the business world all their life in this fleshly body. We look forward to the day that there is a change of pace and so I truly hope that you are encouraged and happy for us as we begin this season of our lives. I know that there will be sadness in the days ahead that we will work through as well. We are thankful for the 63 years that God has blessed our community, employees, customers, as well as our families. Thank You Lord. We have committed ourselves to pray for our 8 other employee's to find jobs quickly and to be an asset at their next place of employment. Please, if you feel led, pray for them.


Tomorrow morning we will awake with fresh ears and eyes for what GOD has for us, and we will do so with much joy. We will have a new beginning. A new season. Lord, we are trusting You. Lord, I want to pour my life out for you.

Lovingly and truly reaching for Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

22 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Oh Yolanda-that is a huge step!! I am excited for you both. Do share your future plans...I am so happy for you both!!

Your not going to permenantly move to Hawaii are you????

In His Graces~Pamela

Anonymous said...

Wow!

I pray that this transition will be filled with sweet surprises. I can only imagine the feelings that accompany such as change. While they will provide their own roller coaster ride, stand firm on bedrock of your foundation, Christ.

Rejoice in the grace He has given and the opportunities that lie ahead!

Shalom,
Denise

Runner Mom said...

Wow!! How exciting!! Congratulations on your "retirement!" Can't wait to see and hear what GOd has in store for y'all next!! This post was wonderful...lots of great scripture to think about as I go back to the nursery---AGAIN--to finish purchasing plants for the front yard!! Hope y'all have a beautiful day!

Hugs,
Susan

Leaon Mary said...

Father God please be with my dear friend Yolanda and her husband as they take this next step in their journey. THY WILL BE DONE!

TRUTH SHARER said...

I've been praying...
Change is always hard - but God moves us into new seasons of life so we don't get stuck in the rut of our comfort zones. HE has other plans that are always better and higher than ours - and always for the benefit of His kingdom purposes if we are living our lives for Him and through Him.

I pray God's blessing on you and Bill in this new season of life together.

I will continue to pray for the employees who need to find new jobs.

I love what Denise said - because God always has 'sweet surprises' in the midst of a new season. May you dig for the treasure of the adventure.

Blessings........ to all!

Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I Worship]

Beth Herring said...

Oh, wow. I am happy for you - wishful thinking for me....

I pray that God blesses you both and shows you undeniably what He would have you do for HIM!

Love you sister.

Looking forward to January!!


Beth

Rachel said...

wow! this is huge! Praying you sense the Lord's direction as you seek the next step!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

That is awesome, Yolanda. I'm so excited for the new adventure that awaits you both! Indeed, it will seem strange for a season, but once the new routine sinks in, I believe you're going to come alive in new and wonderful ways.

All the best to you both! I mean that.

peace~elaine

Lisa Smith said...

Wow!! Newness to the max in your life!! Praying for peace in the morning. Praying for wisdom and His clear leading as you walk a new path. Sounds exciting to me!!!!

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

First of all congratulations for taking a step of faith and trusting God to a new path ahead of you!

I admire you and your man for taking some time to enjoy a new season for the both of you. I can only imagine all the new opportunities and blessings He will be pouring over both of you.

Can't wait to see tomorrow's blog to see how your first official new day was!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Congratulations to both you and your Man! I hope things go really well for ya'll. Keep us posted. I'm thinking you will most likely keep waking up early for the first few days at least. :)

God bless you!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...I am sure this is bitter sweet...but mostly sweet since without a doubt, you both have sought from God's seal of approval on this...I'm sure with that seal of approval that God will bless those employees with productive jobs. I am also sure that God has another job for you two lined up...I am excited for you two.

Lots of Love
Tessa :)

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

Oh Sweet Friend,

I don't know what to say except I am thrilled if you are thrilled.

All bodies DO need to be cared for and rested but I think it was John Piper who has that sermon or whatever about don't waste your retirement.

I KNOW without a doubt that you and Bill could NEVER waste yours because your passion for GOD is too great and heavy, Praise HIM!

I so love you and I hope to talk to you by phone. Much has happened and is happening in my own world I NEVER expected in a million years.

Loving you and praying for you and Bill to be the Lighthouse in your area to the downtrodden and hurting,
Teri

Lelia Chealey said...

AWESOME!!
I will pray for you both and your employees.
Have a blast with your husband.

love ya,
Lelia

Kristen said...

Yolanda!

Congratulations to you and husband.
I know that God has great plans for this next part of your journey. I will say a prayer for your employees... that they find gameful employment quickly.

Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures as you enjoy retirement!
K

Paula V said...

Congratulations. How wonderful to be able to financially retire together and have the door wide open to work or not work again. Maybe buying an RV and seeing God's world...that would be grand.

What kind of business is it? Did you close it all together or sell it to another person?

Laura said...

I am so excited for you, my friend. The beginning of another adventure together!

Blessings on this new start. God is all about them, you know...

Anonymous said...

Yolanda, how exciting and wonderful (though I'm sure a little scary too). Oh I pray you are experiencing an overwhelming sense of peace and fulfillment as you enter this new season. I pray God will honor your trust in Him with providing all your needs. Looking forward to hearing all that you have to say in this new season Friend! Hugs, and enjoy this weekend!!!

Gran Jan said...

Yolanda - How exciting. I am so very happy for you. Oh, I cannot wait for that day for me. I have 8 more years before I can have my "full retirement" with 100% benefits, etc. I have been working for the Board of Education for 20 years - it is a wonderful job, but I am so ready for the next season myself!

Please keep us posted - you are such a special blessing.

Much Love,
Jan

Alleluiabelle said...

Yolonda,

Congratulations in entering a new season in your lives. I will be praying that your employees find jobs quickly and that God blesses both you and your husband with peace, love, good health and happiness to enjoy your future time together and live within each day to it's fullest. It's going to be good!

Blessings,
Alleluiabelle

Crown of Beauty said...

How do you develop an all-consuming love for Jesus? Respond by pouring your life out in honor of Him.

I loved this, Yolanda. Your heart of deep love for our LORD always moves me, and motivates me, and encourages me to go up higher.

Just these past days I have been asking Jesus to light my fire again, and let it burn hotter, brighter... or how I want to be consumed by His love again. Not the routine, business as usual kind of relationship with Him, but as Paul says in your quote, being willing to be poured out...

I rejoice with you in your new season... it is going into uncharted territory. I know He will be faithful. Looking forward to reading more of your faith postings!

Love
Lidj

Lisa said...

I am thrilled and excited for you and your husband as you take your next step of faith. May God grant you wisdom as you seek His face!

One thing I know, you will have more time to "be Jesus" to those He brings across your path as you are poured out in honor of Him.

I can't wait to hear about your journey with Jesus in the coming years.

Blessings - Lisa