Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What are you looking through?

It is a VERY good thing that I didn't take a picture! A VERY GOOD THING INDEED. When we built our home, I chose to not have window treatments. Our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, and our windows have a lovely prism type pattern in-grained in each window pane. I enjoy looking out to see the wildlife, the sunrise and sunsets. Honestly that wasn't very feasible the past couple of months. While I love to look out and see the beauty that surrounds us, I DETEST WINDOW WASHING.

Now a little insight, my sweet and precious husband enjoys window washing. Yet he has been just a tad on the busy side of life here lately, so they were in much need of a good cleansing. He generally cleans the outside and I work on the inside. A great team accomplishment when all is said and done.

Aren't you and I like that from time to time? Perhaps you are like me and need a good cleaning daily? I am so thankful for the mornings that I don't have some place to be super early that I can have that much needed alone time with God. Time to dig in His word, time to be participating in an in-depth bible study, time to journal, time to work on scripture memorization, time to simply be still and wait on God.

So, I ask again, what are you looking through? Are the eyes of your heart and soul clean and open, or has a film been placed over them to where sin doesn't stir you up to repentance? Where a change in direction can't possibly begin to take place. May I encourage you today, to allow the windows of your soul, your very eyes, to be cleansed and washed so that the radiance of Christ is able to flood in as well as be seen from others on the outside.

Ephesians 5:25-27 NIV "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." Please look at verse 26 again: to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word. Matthew 6:22-23 Message: "Your eyes are windows into your body. If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar. If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!"

Father God, Thank You for cleansing us through allowing Your Word to take root into our very belief systems. That we come to trust You by allowing a scrubbing from time to time that opens our eyes to Your TRUTHS. This in turn changes us to become holy and blameless, a beautiful sanctification process. Father, We adore You. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Lovingly through the fresh washed windows of my heart at Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

15 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

I too love clean, smudge free crystal clear windows. I also like them open when I can and free from curtains and blinds.

I guess it must be something from my childhood when my mom kept her windows closed up and drapes drawn closed all the time. I used to wonder if something horrible would happen if we opened them.

Now I am just the opposite, I want mine wide open and nothing blocking them, much like the life I lead now. I want people to be able to see inside and know what is real and honest. Nothing to hide behind, but just me as I am.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Leah Adams said...

It is the desire of my heart to stay clean and vulnerable before our Lord. I know that the minute I take my eyes off Him and begin to fudge on my quiet time, I can fall into sin quickly.

Thanks for a post that challenges and encourages me in my walk.

Send your hubby my way. I've got tons of windows that need washing.

Leah

TRUTH SHARER said...

I also do not have window treatments on many of my windows - also to see the beautiful view of the back grounds with hummingbirds fighting it out just on the other side of the glass. They remind me of the spiritual warfare going on around us - so close and so real - yet just above us.

I loved these words that you wrote:
"May I encourage you today, to allow the windows of your soul, your very eyes, to be cleansed and washed so that the radiance of Christ is able to flood in as well as be seen from others on the outside."

SO THAT - the radiance of Christ...
Wow - that just blessed my heart tonight!

Glad you like the little items in your envelope today!!!

Love you friend...
Choosing JOY, Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I THIRST For]

Edie said...

I love the image you described of the radiance of Christ flooding in through the windows of our soul. Yes I want that and not that dull film. I love the Light!

Crown of Beauty said...

I've always loved the "windows of your heart" phrase... and you have used it so beautifully here.

We do need to keep our eyes clear--and I appreciate how you connected it to a real life example -- the windows of your house!

Yolanda, you have very good practical insights. I always thank God for you each time I visit.

Love
Lidj

Laura said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Yo! I've been looking through the lens of discouragement lately, so these were timely words. I'm reading John Elderidge's new book right now, and in it, he talks about the "agreements" we make in life. Kind of like our underlying beliefs...you know, like, "I don't deserve to be loved", or "I'll never succeed at anything". It really has me looking at my thought process and I am finding some interesting things.

Yes, I love that quiet time to do that kind of talkin' with God!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

A real challenge Yolanda! I love Ephesians and we studied this recently at our Church. You encourage others in their walk with your honesty.
Collette xxx

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

This is one place hubby and I have always disagreed on. He loves having the windows free of shades and curtains. EVEN at night! Me, on the other hand, I have a "thing" about windows. I want them covered. Oh, I don't mind raising the blinds during the day but at night....I just can't stand to look at a window and see my reflection. It startles me. And also I'm always thinking about the fact that in the dark I can't see outside but others can see in. The fact that we live out in the middle of nowhere should make that fear go away but it doesn't. I hope that is not an indication of how my spiritual life is.

Love ya Sister!

Marilyn

Beth Herring said...

Oh I just love this Yolanda! We can certainly see more clearly when our eyes are looking through a clean surface. We need to remember to let God wash us inside and out so that we can see Him in all His glory!

LisaShaw said...

Oh Yolanda this is DEEPLY BEAUTIFUL and very encouraging in several ways.

Thank you for being obedient to the LORD in your sharing!

Love and hugs.

Runner Mom said...

THis was just what I needed to hear!! But I had to laugh at the verse from the Message!! I was reading it squinty-eyed because my glasses are in the other room!! Oops!! I want my eyes to be filled wiht His light so that others might see Him!!

Hugs!
Susan

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm always in need of a good cleaning, inside and out. I think the interior is the most pressing clean I need. God is ever refining his light and life within me.

peace~elaine

Leaon Mary said...

Let the SONshine in!!!!!!!!!!!!
I too love His light, and the light of His word.
Beautiful post Yolanda!
Keep basking in His light!!!

Terri Tiffany said...

It's interesting that you wrote about this particular topic this week. On Friday night, we turned on Joel Olstein who talked about cleaning your windows before you look out and criticize others. We've really been trying to do just that this week:)

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

Congratulations, I have a special surprise waiting just for you. Hop on over to my blog and check it out.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat