Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Steadfast love

Have you ever been reading, listening, simply doing daily living when you realize that a term or word just keeps popping up and all of a sudden you think, "I wonder what that is all about?".

That's ME!

I can't tell you how many days or weeks this has been happening to me. I've even questioned God to some degree yet I didn't act on it. Until this morning when "STEADFAST LOVE" was in my quiet time with God once again, He has my FULL attention!

Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary gives us a little insight for both steadfast and for love. Here is steadfast:


1 a : firmly fixed in place : immovable b : not subject to change 2 : firm in belief, determination, or adherence : loyal

I'm pulling out only what I believe what applies for love in this application:

1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties child

b : an assurance of love

4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God

What do I see when I look at this? That God's love for me is immovable, can not be changed, faithful like none other. That it is true, absolute, resolute, lasting, enduring and settled. That He has given me the assurance of His love through His word and the conviction and belief and faith He has poured into my heart through time, time, time. That His love is unselfish, it has a PARENTAL connotation both maternal and paternal.

I did a quick search and found that STEADFAST LOVE, those two words together, show up 202 times in the English Standard Version of God's Word. Girlfriends and guy friends let us together praise God together with the words found in Psalm 118:29: Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

I close with this as my prayer and I hope yours as well from Psalm 119:40-42.

Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life! Waw. Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise; then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me, for I trust in your word. **AMEN**

Lovingly as I allow His steadfast love to truly take root and bear tasty fruit in my life,
Yolanda


**Waw, through me for a loop, says it only occurs in this verse through out the bible, and not only in the ESV translation. I also found it in the KJV. This is about all I could find out from the Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia: waw "w": The sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet; transliterated in this Encyclopedia "w" (or "v"). It came also to be used for the number 6. **

9 comments:

Lora said...

Yolanda,

I just used the word steadfast to describe my brother and sister-in-love's relationship with the LORD. I love that you pulled out the dictionary! Honey, I have a couple people in my family that use words *bigger* than me, so I keep the American Heritage Dictionary on the kitchen table - no joke! And I usually need a dictionary when I read one of Melissa's posts too!

Praying that His steadfast love will take root in my life too.

Love you precious one,
Lora

Sandy said...

Yolanda, I have been reading "steadfast love" a lot lately, too. Thank you for this great post! Praying for you and for Lora, and for all of us Siestas!

Heart2Heart said...

Yolanda,

It's thanks to that steadfast love we have hope in something better to come in the future.

In case you get the chance, stop by my blog today for a great opportunity to enter another giveaway I'm doing.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

sanjeet said...

I usually need a dictionary when I read one of Melissa's posts too!
rihanna video

Vickie said...

Yolanda, the steadfast love of the Lord is one my favorite things about God if I could say it that way. I love it that He still loves me the same even when I am unlovely.

blessings,
Vickie

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

HIS steadfast love! What a wonderful thing to hold on to in this world of "here today, gone tomorrow" living! I love that you did a word study of this verse! So enlightening!

Love ya!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

TRUTH SHARER said...

His LOVE is such a 'firm foundation' for our lives. Without it - we can do nothing. But with it - we can soar to new heights on wings as eagles!

He's giving freely to you from all that SEEKING you've been doing!

{{HUGS}} Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

Angela said...

Oh this was SOOOOOOO good..steadfast love. Thank you SO much for sharing the meaning also. I love looking up the meaning of words also...Blessings

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Love it...just love it.

Steadfastly Believing Him~Pamela