Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The World We Live In

Bill and I made a "pact" with one another the day we married. No large gifts for one another when it came to the worlds standard of gift giving days. Instead of acquiring THINGS (believe me, the two of us have plenty, but then....who doesn't?) we would do something that caused a memory. Something that could not be taken away from us except perhaps in a memory loss.

How does one cause a memory? By simple random acts of kindness, better yet an action. Ok, generally, Bill and I decided that the "memory" would be something out of the ordinary for us, in our day to day living. This is one of the reasons we enjoy traveling.

A definition that I found from Webster's is: a particular act of recall or recollection; an image or impression of one that is remembered.

I have one more thought that I wanted to share with you that God showed me while in Alaska and I'm choosing to do it through Higher Grounds. In June, I joined an on-line bible study with Beth Moore and 3,000 other women from all 50 states, and many different nations. It is titled, "No Other God's" by Kelly Minter. This study deals with recognizing idols that we allow into our own personal worlds. Some we set up, and some we simply allow in.

As we headed off for the sole purpose of going on a train ride in Alaska, I bundled up my workbook, empty pages to be filled and later added to my journal upon arriving home, and my bible all stowed in my book bag. My daily bible reading at the time, was in Isaiah. I had not recalled to my mind (memory) all the issues of IDOLS that are in Isaiah. I started making a list the very first morning of specific scriptures....and then I just sat.....the people that walked and talked this side of heaven in the old testament surrounded themselves with IDOLS. And you know what I realized? WE ARE NO DIFFERENT!

What are some of them, that are in our world today?

1) bank accounts
2) who our friends are
3) who our spouse is, and just having a spouse
4) our homes
5) our vehicles
6) our jewelry
7) our children
8) our NAMES
9) our status/title in our jobs
10) the brand of jeans we wear
11) pride

and the list goes on.....whoa, maybe I'll add one more....the church that we attend.

Does that step all, ALL, over your toes? It did mine, the very morning that I started reflecting and thinking about the world that I live in today. This is something that I want God to continue to reveal to me, and show me areas that I need to move away from so I can move closer to Him. He is what I desire, He is who I want to be my treasure. Matthew 6:21 NIV "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Now to move on to some encouragement that God used to bless me so. As I began preparing for traveling to a land that is steeped in the history of their forefathers, I knew from pictures and things that there would be idols that are visible to the eye. An example that comes to my mind is: totem poles.

Do you have any idea what I found there? I FOUND GOD! His creation, His people, GOD HIMSELF.

At both of our Bed and Breakfast establishments, the owners were CHRISTIANS. We had no idea when we booked this trip and made these plans way back in February. A beautiful woman that held me spell bound one morning at breakfast and I was trying so hard to not look like Dorothy from Kansas by staring....says to me later downtown on the sidewalk, "I'm a Believer". (YES AVIS, YOU!) As we sat one evening having dinner, Carolyn says, "Yolanda look...that couple is praying over their meal." And one more that comes to my mind, we were taking a hike up into the mountains to get to a beautiful waterfall we were promised to see, we came across a young man that knew about Kansas. He had decided on a whim to just show up in Kansas, ended up in Great Bend going to Barton County Community College, and he works for the Christian Radio Station there in Juneau, giving his heart to Christ when he was 16.

I can't help but think of Psalm 91:1 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." God is my dwelling place, and He provided and protected.


GOD! I love Him so and take great delight in how He shows up and off just for me, and just for you. Yes, the very world we live in.

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Great post, Yolanda! I'll share another idol that often gets overlooked: ministry. About five years ago, I had made such an idol of my ministry, that my whole priority system was turned upside down. EVERYTHING was sacrificed on the altar of the church, including my relationship with my family and with God Himself.

It's so easy to "justify" the work you do for the Lord, but unless He's called you to it and carries you through it, it needs to be examined. Mine was stripped away, and only in the last two years has He allowed me to begin building it back up according to His blueprint and His plan.

Paula V said...

Good reminder, Yolanda. Thanks for sharing your heart. We must always be on guard and aware of things that may creep into our hearts as idols. I've come to realize I made an idol for myself for a couple years. Only now, do I see that is actually what I did and one of the reasons my relationship with God faltered for that time.

P.S. If you go back to Joy's blog, you will see a PS note I've made to you. Smiles.
Paula

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful post, Yolanda. There was a time when the STUFF was important to me. About 20 years ago, I looked around me and realized how superficial all the stuff made me feel. It was a feeling of relief when I made the decision to start examining the real stuff that mattered. Relationships, integrity, and striving to make a difference while on this earth. Thank you for the wonderful post and for the opportunity to re-examine my priorities. Once again, you inspired me today.

Kristen said...

It's so easy to overlook the fact that even things that are good can become an idol. Our Pastor preached about this not too long ago. Anything, be it spouse, children,home... if it is placed before God in our lives becomes an idol.

Yolanda you pointed out an important truth. Such an excellent reminder to get that First Commandment on our hearts at all times!

God bless you sister!

Unknown said...

Good post!

I like the whole making memories thing....hmmm...I will have to talk that one over with my husband! That seems much better than any material possession!

Prayers and Blessings!
Rebecca

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yolanda:
Love the new pictures. They tell a story of true contentment. I love that you and your husband are all about making memories along the way through your travels rather than through things.

I'm not a big traveler, but I am a big believer in time away. We had a great vacation, but it is good to be home again.

Thank you for all of your encouraging thoughts.

peace~elaine

pam said...

Loved this post. I seem to be in a season of recovery after ministry/church burn out. This kind of fits in with things I'm pondering right now. I lost Jesus along the way and I'm really pursuing God to get back to Him and the intimacy we used to have. So many idols (of the world and the church) consumed my days. I've been sloughing off a lot, getting back to the simple love relationship. Trying to get back to Him first and then all else falls in place as far as "doing". Having grown up in Hutch I was always amazed when people showed up from what I deemed more exotic far away places to abide in Kansas for a while.