"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity." Colossians 4:5
This hit me afresh this morning as to what a challenge God has for you and for me. We are to be wise in the way we act toward outsiders making the most of EVERY not some but EVERY opportunity.
Are we?
How do the unwise act? Selfish, rude, mean, flippant, arrogant, haughty. This is a very short list, of many other ways to act unwise. Yet I know from my own experience that when I am treated this way, I want no part of them or what it is they are participating in.
And what hit me afresh was taking this a step farther, am I, are we being wise in the way we act toward the INSIDERS making the most of every opportunity?
Because the outsiders are watching how we treat the insiders, and if there is no wisdom in our actions Girlfriends and Guy friends, what would ever cause them to want and hunger for what we have? To participate, to belong?
"And this is my prayer: that your love (and mine) may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you (and I) may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:9-11 NIV Parenthesis I added.
Father, Often I miss the mark. Forgive me for doing so, for causing an outsider to stumble as well as hurting my Sisters and Brothers. I pray that today my words, thoughts and actions would be soft and encouraging. Towards my spouse, my family, my friends, my family IN God, and especially total strangers. Lord, thank You for the Hope You are in my heart. May my love for You always increase, never EVER decrease. Praise and Glory are Yours alone. Amen.
Reaching for Higher Grounds,
Yolanda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Oh - this just hit me this morning after I returned from the first session of the new Esther study.
I came home to find mail from my health ins. co. with an EOB waiting for me. Anyone else but me just hate those things? maybe because of so many I had to go through with my hunsband's cancer before he died.
Anyway - I opened it up to find that the new Chiropractor that I was seeing [who is also a friend] is not IN NETWORK - which means that my 100% coverage - is not only 80% after a $200 deductible.
There's more.... but by the time I got through all the push one - and answer this - push 3 down the line of phone prompts - my blood was boiling! Anyone been there? Well - when I finally got a person [after screaming the word [representative] into the phone - I got a nice man named Anthony. At the sound of his voice the LORD just spoke over me to show kindness.
God reminded me that my testimony is at stake even with those whom I have never met or may never speak to again. I was to show the love of Christ - even through my frustration. ...[those people write little notes in their computer - good and bad - LOL!]
I wanted to retaliate - but he was not the right target - nor would retaliation get me anywhere. So I was kind instead. When I hung up the phone - I took my frustration up with the LORD and thanked Him for allowing me a new choice to be kind [not like the old way I used to react].
Your post really hit a hard spot for me - but I'm thankful that God is in process of working on it.
Meanwhile I am out hundreds of dollars and still in much back pain! UGH! But God has me covered!
I've still got His 'umbrella policy' from Psalm 91 as my security.
Looking UPward and Choosing JOY... while just a bit poorer,
Stephanie
[Time to FLY]
Hey, sweet friend! This is wonderful! So much to ponder and pray about! Thank you! I may use this topic as a discussion for my high school girls' Bible study!
Hugs,
susan
GREAT post Yolanda. I sooooo never want to be a stumbling block to anyone--inside or outside.
I may be the only Jesus some people ever see and I want to be an accurate representative of our Lord.
Thanks for the insights.
leah
You know, this made me think. Sometimes we as Christians try to make sure that we treat "outsiders" well so that we can maybe be a witness to them. But how many times do we take our own family (the insiders) for granted and not give them the same good treatment. You are right. The Outsiders are watching how we treat the Insiders and if it should not be good they will probably want to stay Outside instead of being hemmed up Inside with the likes of us! Hmmm??? :)
Marilyn
Oooh I feel a bit of conviction here. I often "miss the mark" too as you say. More often than I want to admit.
This is an area God has been working to change in me. There is progress but this one is a slow process.
Great post Yolanda!
yep! I need to be wiser. It's always eaiser for me to be wiser in actions with those who are not direct family... but, when it comes to family, well I find it eaiser to unleash the ugly :O(
But, praise God! He showers me with grace, and this gal is a' learnin', sometimes the hard way... But with Jesus, one step at a time, He shows me the way! I love Him.
thanks for this post.
Oh, friend, if we didn't miss the mark we wouldn't need a Savior. Save me from myself, Sweet Jesus!
Just wanted to thank you for the sweet birthdy card I received! You are the thoughtful one, and it really lifted me up.
Thank you, friend.
Another post with great timing. A friend and I were just discussing something similar to this yesterday...
About how we need to treat others in a way and behave in a way that we are able to draw unbelievers to Jesus.
If we, as Christians, treat others poorly, why would any skeptic non-believers ever want to be a Christian themselves?
Awesome my friend. This is cause for a deep inner examination.
Thank you for these words.
Love ya - Beth
Great post Yolanda. One that we so need to hear.
Vickie
Just wanted to say thank you for the comment on my blog...it gave me chills!
Post a Comment